Bump steer, need help please(been to faqs) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bump steer, need help please(been to faqs)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

Bump steer, need help please(been to faqs)

Hi JF members, here's my Jeep

Here are the specs
3" IRO springs (+ 2" pucks not shown on pic)
Bilstein 5125 shocks (not on pic)
IRO heavy duty track bar
1" IRO TC drop
IRO A-arm spacer
IRO 4" sway bar links front and rear
Tenneco heavy duty SS from IRO
IRO front adj UCA and LCA
i followed Arlo's specs for 4,5"-5" lift
wich are UCA lengt : 16"
LCA lengt : 17"
If i understood right, DW is a continuous shake when driving?, i don't have but i have serious bumpsteer when hitting a hole when driving between 30mph and 45mph.
Any suggestion to cure?
I know, "don't drive at those speed" any other idea?
Thank you guys

WJRON351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Go with a stock backspacing wheel to reduce scrub radius.

Go with long arms, at 5" lift you have some nasty control arm angles and impact forces are routed into the arms/body as opposed to absorbed by the shocks.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Bump street is the slop in your steering, I/e freeplay. 1st thing to check is the pitas ARM and It's link. Also if your track bar is adjusted correctly, axle centered and tb parallel to the drag link. Usually not an issue with wjs though. Steering box may worn or need adjusting.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

Thank you guys, i'll check the pitman arm, maybe need a dropped one finally, i know long arms would be good thing but not street legal in my country.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJRON351 View Post
Thank you guys, i'll check the pitman arm, maybe need a dropped one finally, i know long arms would be good thing but not street legal in my country.
No, do not drop your pitman arm. That will cause true bumpsteer by taking out of parallel your steering arms.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

still haven't checked if they are paralel, maybe that's were my troubles come from. only have bump steer when hitting a good hole between 30 and 45 mph
At 60 to 120 mph, no troubles
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
still haven't checked if they are paralel, maybe that's were my troubles come from. only have bump steer when hitting a good hole between 30 and 45 mph
At 60 to 120 mph, no troubles
They should be parallel. I was saying to not drop the one without dropping the other. If it was bumpsteer, it would be at any speed.

It would be helpful to understand what you deem "bumpsteer".

231HD build guide
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

Under 30 mph, no problem, over 50 mph no troubles but between those speed, when i hit a hole, the steering wheel shakes really badly and dangerously. I need to stop the jeep to stop the shaking.
I already had that problem at 3" of lift, but not at 2"
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Under 30 mph, no problem, over 50 mph no troubles but between those speed, when i hit a hole, the steering wheel shakes really badly and dangerously. I need to stop the jeep to stop the shaking.
I already had that problem at 3" of lift, but not at 2"
What you are describing appears more like death wobble.

231HD build guide
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

Ok, i've read a lot about both DW or bumpsteer. I readthe faqs about DW, i read DW cure on IRO's site and KOR site.
Here's what i've done the last 4 months, i bought new SS (tenneco HD) bought new tie rod ends/ball joints, aligned the Jeep and balanced tires. Used Arlo's specs for adj UCA and LCA. Still shakin'
What to look for now?
I'm tired of that shake thig
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

What are your toe and caster settings? Is your trackbar uber tight and the mounting holes not wallowed? If you have a jks bar, do you have the HD bushings? What tire pressure are you running?

231HD build guide
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
tbone1004
2004 WJ 

What you have is death wobble not bump steer. Bump steer is more like the wheels not staying straight when you hit a bump but no shaking. It also doesn't persist after the initial bump.

I'm willing to bet it's caused by your trackbar. You mention you have the HD trackbar, but if it is for the 3" lift not the 5" lift that you have it isn't long enough throwing everything out of wack. I'd get a JKS adjustable and try again. Should fix it. Lower your tire pressures a bit as having them too high can cause it. Also note that every time death wobble happens, it is prone to loosening things up and will very very quickly reduce the life of your tie rod ends.
tbone1004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
WJRON351
2002 WJ 

OK, i already have JKS track bar, axles are aligned. i have urethane bushings and all bolts are strongly tightened. Holes were wallowed but a friend fixed it, welded a new steel plate abs drille new holes with bigger bolts.
A friend had the same DW problem, he called me ths afternoon, said double SS fixed his DW. Should try?
Also, tires are at 36 psi. Too much?
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

Did you ever resolve this? My WJ had several problems that included bad tie rod and drag link ends, bad control arm bushings AND trackbar bushings. A steering stabilizer is a band-aid and will help reduce DW but if you have DW, SOMETHING somewhere is not right. (loose or misaligned)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3369302
SDT03GCOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

I was fighting bump steer for a long time with my 4" lift, the problem with bump steer is at fast enough speeds it turns into DW. I replaced everything and had many alignments, I just put on IRO's steering Equalizer, ( not steering dampener). Best $300 for getting rid of bump steer for me,
2001 WJ 4.7L-selec-trac/4.5" Teraflex springs\IRO Long arms\Iro adj rear LCA/Bilstien 5100 series shocks/ IRO steering Equalizer/|265/75/16 Goodyear Dura-Tracs on Stock rims\Rear Tube Bumper with carrier|sliders|mopar skids.
sinbad85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.