Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bump steer?

758 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  slacker007 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Trying to track down a problem I have had for a little while. Jeep drives pretty good at about 65 mph. But when I go over the bridge partitions, 3 of these on my way home everyday from work, it seems like my wheels become "disconnected " from the road for the second I'm on the bridge. I don't have any real issues I would say are death wobble. I get a slight vibration if I don't have any pressure on the steering wheel . Say I'm coming up to a slight turn on the thruway, the vibration goes away . All new tie rod ends and ball joints. Could their be the steering gear box going bad? I was thinking of just selling and getting a wk, but I got a lot sweat into this. Any insight is much appreciated .

#4 ·
I have 4 inch RC lift with 3/4 inch spacers. Bilsteins , 3/4 inch Addco rear sway bar, 265 70 17 nitro terra grapplers. I know it's a lifted jeep and all, but seems excessive , to the point where it feels like I'm gonna lose my tire for that second

#3 ·
Sounds like bumpsteer. you drive a lifted a jeep; its going to happen, especially when traveling over bridge partitions, rr track crossings, etc at speed. That being said, I would still crawl underneath and check to make sure everything is tight and that all of your bushings are in good condition, joints greased, etc. As you probably know, a lot of seemingly small things can affect the handling on our rigs. Good luck.

#6 ·
coopdc78 said:
I have 4 inch RC lift with 3/4 inch spacers. Bilsteins , 3/4 inch Addco rear sway bar, 265 70 17 nitro terra grapplers. I know it's a lifted jeep and all, but seems excessive , to the point where it feels like I'm gonna lose my tire for that second
What is your steering setup with that lift?

True bumpsteer is purely a geometry problem. Depending on your steering setup, what you may be experiencing is mild DW.

#8 ·
What is your steering setup with that lift?

True bumpsteer is purely a geometry problem. Depending on your steering setup, what you may be experiencing is mild DW.[/QUOTE
Honestly it can't remember off hand. I forget what * was recommended when I put the lift on. I'm gonna have to go back and put my protractor on and see where I'm at. I think 4*. Does that sound right?

#12 ·
I'm fighting the same problem. I have a 99 WJ with Rusty's 6.5" longarm kit. I've done all the checking and tightening of frontend components as others have recomended. I took it to an alienment shop and that cured nearly all of the problem. It still has a slight amount of bump steer, but is much much better. I am still looking for a fix for the remainder of the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.