Building a lightbar for my WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Building a lightbar for my WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wj Building a lightbar for my WJ

Recently I've been looking at lightbars/brushguards for my jeep. The ones Westin makes slaughters your ground clearance and they're made from nothing more than exhaust piping. One of my friends owns a shop the caters to custom motorcycles and I contacted him. I had seen Dfloyds lightbar that he made and how it came off of the tow hooks and I liked it alot. The only thing I wanted different was I wanted it to me higher up and the lights in the hoop to protect them. I also wanted to angle it out a little so I could have more of a brushguard/lightbar. I eventually came up with an idea like this. I'm open for input about it before I get it welded up. I'm still undecided on whether I want to finish it with powdercoat or a linex like material. Let me know what you think!

Nicktarnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
bjm9818

It's just my opinion but I think you need something that covers a bigger area in front. It just looks to small and wimpy. I would either go bigger or go a lot smaller and just add a simple bar with lights. Just my $.02 though
bjm9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What do you mean by cover the bigger area in front? Do you mean the area under the bar down near the radiator?

edit: Didn't read your post correctly. I don't plan on doing extreme offroading just yet. Maybe driving through some fields and some mud but nothing that would constitute a huge all steel plate bumper. It's going to be made from thick wall DOM steel tubing so it should have some pretty decent strength. Other than what I previously stated, I also want a little added protection from deer late at night and from hitting fences driving recklessly in a snowstorm(DOH!)
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update: It seems that I will be having this made this upcoming friday.
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
tspalding23
2002 WJ 

i am doing the same after chrismas. post pics when you get it on for some reference thanks
tspalding23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'll post whatever you need to know about it!
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
straty1987

i have a westin safari bar that mounts were the front skid goes and i know the lights are low on it but.

you can mount lights behind the grill, on your bumper inform of your grill or the roof.
i know the bar mounts are low, but not lower then your cross member.

when i went wheeling at the end of October i did not hit the mounts once and they did not get in the way.
the mounts have really been good and strong from saving my bumper from being destroyed when bottoming out on a pothole when driving around in the city. it has happened to me a few times were a hole will be deep and my entire wheel would going to it and would hit both bar mounts. they would take all the blow.

jeep did make a bar a bit similar to what your thinking of
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
dfloyd
1999 WJ 

Good luck on that build. I know i like mine and especially since i can say i built it and no one else has one like it

Damn my attention deficit dis....... ooohh shiny!
dfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im really jealous of you guys, I really REALLY want one for my WJ that mounts up to those tow hook mounts. I cant make one myself and I have no clue where to go for it.

Tell me how much it ends up costing. If he's willing to make another one I drive through Troy a couple times a year to get to Rochester so I might be interested depending on how it comes out and the pricing

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Try looking for local welding shops in your area. I know a couple local to me that would A)do a very good job and B)get pretty excited to do something better than another Camry exhaust. The last time I had a job done there the guys gave me a discount just for giving them something interesting to do for once and hanging out and talking shop.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wonder if its possible to do without welding straight to the hooks? Either way theyd probably want like... 50? 100? no more than that though right?

PS heres the thread I was in where I was thinking about how to mount lights: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...umper-1123554/

I actually came up with a nice simple bracket thing to mount them up against the bumper but seeing this thread makes me want a bar again lol

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Compcrasher- He's already quoted me at $180 to get it made. The guy used to work at Rock Krawler and he said he wants to start making some stuff for WJ's. I'm sure after mine he'd be more than willing to make another

DFloyd- I also want to thank you for giving me such a good idea about where I want to make a bar from.

Also if you want one made check with custom motorcycle shops or welding shops and they can put you in the right direction.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

180 isnt bad for keeping the stock tow hooks I guess but its pretty pricey if you remember that Westin (an overpriced ripoff corporation) safari bars can be had for $170. I guess its custom labor and all so thats a premium you pay. Ehh its still worth it lol

Matt
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

He's going to be building it a lot stronger than the westin ones. He's using 1 5/8 tubing with .25" thick walls on it. He's also going to use 1/4" or 3/8 gusset plates where needed. Also on the piece that get sandwiched between the towhook and towhook mount he's going to be using 1/4 steel plate. I was told that when it's done I'm going to want to aim for deer I see crossing the road.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Nicktarnow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's essentially going to be built like a brick s**t house.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.