Building a hitch. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Building a hitch.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Building a hitch.

Ok so a few weeks ago I picked up a hitch off a smashed gc in the junk yard. This hitch was pretty bad. rusted and looked alittle twisted. Now I have a atv trailer and some other stuff always had a hitch except this one. So I got a hitch bumper as well witch will be painted but heres the hitch Its coming along waiting for primer to dry. I have none of striahting it cause you cant take pics while welding its hard.

What you think rinoline it?

MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Oh yea what bolts do I need to mount this up?
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ps you didnt need the hitch bumper, there is a traceable line you cut on the backside of your bumper and mopar sells a bezel that seats in around your cut to make it clean and factory-like

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

^^agreed. The "hitch bumper" is the same bumper you have now, only with it cut around the line and the bezel probably installed.

4 of the 6 bolts required are already in your gas tank skid. You'll need the other two which are a 12x1.75 IIRC.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

i pulled mine from a junk yard, and although not twisted or bent, was rusty. A little sanding and truck bed liner did it nicely!
Mudered Out
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Spray-on bedliner is pretty good stuff, even the DIY stuff is pretty durable, although somewhat expensive at $8-12/can. I used the duplicolor stuff on my rock rails and it works pretty good. Keep your coats light and it will have a nice uniform texture. The nice thing is that it dries to tacky very quickly so re-coating only takes a few minutes...start at one end and by the time you get to the other end you can start right over at the beginning. No runs. Good luck, and nice work salvaging some parts!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Wait were in the skid are they or do I need to drop the skid down and it bolts back over it. Oh and I took the bumper as for mine was wacked a little bit from my mom backing into it. So that the only reason I took it. Also I was gonna spay it black to match truck. What are the braces for the jeep I took this hitch off of didnt have them.
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I installed mine but didnt have the braces will it affect it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.