build ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > build ideas

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

build ideas

Hey all.. ive got a completly stock '00 wh with a I-6. I was wondering whether to do a lift kit first. Or performance mods. I was looking at 3" kit bit could you add the vudget boost spacers to make 5"? And what performance mods should be done other then exhaust and FIPK

Stock for now
donovandavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Its all what you really want. Theres not really a certain way to upgrade. Just do what you have the money for first and then you could probably save up for a good lift. If I were you I would start off with small upgrades like im doing. Im getting ready to buy some offroad lights which is not much money at all. I also bought a roof rack recently which was only 100 bucks. It looks cool and it serves a good purpose. You could also get a slight exhaust to give it some rumble to her. Like I said, its really just what you wanna pay for. Theres really not a right or wrong way to upgrade.
B-Ball25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

There is a reason the 6 inch kits come with so much more in it. Its because you need long arms and a bunch of other small stuff. So no, you cant just put 2 inch spacers on a 3 inch lift.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
there is a reason the 6 inch kits come with so much more in it. Its because you need long arms and a bunch of other small stuff. So no, you cant just put 2 inch spacers on a 3 inch lift.
+1
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

Personally i wouldnt do a cold air intake, they alow more air flow by filtering less. What i would do is a throttle body bore and a good wix filter. I personally went with an ome lift and bilstine 5100. Its all a matter of what you want out of your rig. i only wanted a little boost for 245/75s, stiffer rear springs for towing and a good over all ride.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboots View Post
Personally i wouldnt do a cold air intake, they alow more air flow by filtering less. What i would do is a throttle body bore and a good wix filter. I personally went with an ome lift and bilstine 5100. Its all a matter of what you want out of your rig. i only wanted a little boost for 245/75s, stiffer rear springs for towing and a good over all ride.
Yeah I'm just looking for simple things to do. I'm 14 and its gonna be my first car. Its ny dads old one and its just sitting. So I might just do 3" exhaust and a BB for now and when I get more cash a bigger lift and 31's
Stock for now
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovandavis View Post
Yeah I'm just looking for simple things to do. I'm 14 and its gonna be my first car. Its ny dads old one and its just sitting. So I might just do 3" exhaust and a BB for now and when I get more cash a bigger lift and 31's
Yeah, I wouldnt be eyeballing the 6 inch lifts, they are about 2,500 dollars done right. Most highschoolers dont have that kind of cash. I know I didn't

A BB is a good place to start and a 3 inch lift is about 600 dollars done right and that would be more in your price range, and its a good lift.

Unread 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post

A BB is a good place to start and a 3 inch lift is about 600 dollars done right and that would be more in your price range, and its a good lift.
Thanks for your input.
Has anyone put hid's for fog lights? I can seem to find a way to get to the bulbs.
Stock for now
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovandavis View Post
Thanks for your input.
Has anyone put hid's for fog lights? I can seem to find a way to get to the bulbs.
HID's require ballasts and different housings to direct the light. I also wouldn't recommend them for fog lights because HID's usually come in a bright color that doesn't actually do much for fog like conditions. I have my lenses tinted yellow with very bright halogens that help when driving in snow around here.

Unread 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

Sorry everyone for the questions. I really do appreciate it.

Last question would be what's the mac tire size I can run with a BB and stock (16'') wheels. Was looking at mickey Thompson baja radial mtz's the smallest being 265/75 R16LT Would that wide of a tire fit?
Stock for now
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

Wow, 14 and you have enough cash to build out a WJ? Good for you... When I was 16 I barely had enough money for gas (usually didn't), and it was .99/gallon at the time!

I think 265/75r16s may still be too big for just a BB, but perhaps with a good bit of trimming they'll work... It may be tight! Be sure to check out wjjeeps.com if you haven't already, there's a chart on there with pretty good guidelines about what sizes will and won't fit various lifts.
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

Never was a spender. Have around 2500 saved up and am blessed to have a car already. Have always had a passion for cars and my grandpa did too. He and my grandma were killed in a motorcycle accident when I was 5
Stock for now
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
donovandavis
2000 WJ 

Only downside is its a 6 cyl. Power wise not reliability. But it has selec-trac so It evens it out for me!
Stock for now
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
wj_brillo
1999 WJ 

everything you're looking for is right here, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...thread-314066/ I believe when I read it, said the 4.0's like the 2.5" better than the 3. Unless you're pushing a lot of air out, your backdraft(not a technical term) would be insufficient and you might lose more than you gain. Plus the 2.5 is coming stock straight from the manifold so it's a good match. I had a 96zj with no cat and a 3" pipe running to a glass pack. Set off plenty of car alarms but did nothing in the area of performance. My 2.5" edelbrock and magnflow hiflo worked much better until i ripped it off on a rock...

good luck with your build and do your research, don't be afraid to ask questions, but the general appeal is search first, ask second.
wj_brillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

This chart should be helpful for you.

lift-chart.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.