Buh-bye :( - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Buh-bye :(

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

I bought it used and have put over 100000 miles on it, with the majority of those being interstate miles traveling from Tennessee to Wisconsin to visit family. I have had ac problems since the beginning, starting with having to replace the wiring from the firewall to the compressor, then I had the drivers seat break (again) as I turned into a parking lot. I have put 2 radiators in it. The MIL came on within the first year I had it. I replaced an o2 sensor and thankfully it passed emissions, but MIL came on a month later with the cat code, which thankfully somehow managed to go out when I neared emission time (this went on for 2 years), so I hurried and took it in to get tested. The last time was last Dec when it went out for 2 days, I ran it through, passed, and the light came on the next day and has been on every since. I have had to put a battery in it EVERY year because something is draining it. Yes, alternator has been replaced.
This is just the tip of the iceburg with issues I have had. Add to that the fact that there were so many complaints on here and other jeep forums as well as issues that really should have prompted a recall (drivers seat...blend door...resistor wiring...) and, hence my reason for going non-jeep this time around.

mom2amk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As much as I hate to admit it...jeeps just arn't built like they use to be..

I love my WJ more than anything, but I wish I could just drive it for a couple of months without having to fix something. But I'll never leave jeep! I have to many fond memories to leave!

Jeep for life!

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

I mean it's up to you, your money, and i can't really blame you, Don't let me tell you other wise. I'm just not sure what you were expecting when you bought it at 185 k. I've seen reliable imports go through two engine rebuilds if not one full replace in far less than 300k.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellows45 View Post
As much as I hate to admit it...jeeps just arn't built like they use to be..

I love my WJ more than anything, but I wish I could just drive it for a couple of months without having to fix something. But I'll never leave jeep! I have to many fond memories to leave!

Jeep for life!
Well said!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2amk View Post
I bought it used and have put over 100000 miles on it, with the majority of those being interstate miles traveling from Tennessee to Wisconsin to visit family. I have had ac problems since the beginning, starting with having to replace the wiring from the firewall to the compressor, then I had the drivers seat break (again) as I turned into a parking lot. I have put 2 radiators in it. The MIL came on within the first year I had it. I replaced an o2 sensor and thankfully it passed emissions, but MIL came on a month later with the cat code, which thankfully somehow managed to go out when I neared emission time (this went on for 2 years), so I hurried and took it in to get tested. The last time was last Dec when it went out for 2 days, I ran it through, passed, and the light came on the next day and has been on every since. I have had to put a battery in it EVERY year because something is draining it. Yes, alternator has been replaced.
This is just the tip of the iceburg with issues I have had. Add to that the fact that there were so many complaints on here and other jeep forums as well as issues that really should have prompted a recall (drivers seat...blend door...resistor wiring...) and, hence my reason for going non-jeep this time around.
Sounds like a classic case of owners neglect. What else would you expect when you drive a vehicle into the ground? I guess you did manage to get over 100k miles out of it, with little more than basic maintenance (oil changes, air filters, maybe spark plugs).

KBB 'Fair Condition' value puts it at $2900. You can choose to put the $1500-$1700 worth of parts and labor into it to to try and sell it for more, or:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Put it up on the local classifieds for $500 then. Should have it sold in a couple hours.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
squire_wj

When I read about people who bring there vehicle's into the dealer for work I think of the Seinfeld episode where George laughs at the people who bring there cars to a dealer to get fixed. And of course they are going to try and talk you into getting a new vehicle it is a dealership.
squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

I agree. This is typical auto owner mindframe. It runs til 285, 000 miles and then has some issues. "What a piece of crap."
Just making it to 285k is a feat, modern autos are very low mantinence but still require some love. Jeeps especially.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
marcall
2004 WJ 

here's my 2 cents....all makes and models have many issues,they are just different to each manufacture and model so pic and choose what kinda problems you want. Factor in parts availability, aftermarket support and availability for older vehichles (to keep 'em running), cost of parts/repairs, and ease of working on. I say this with 20 years of being a mechanic at an independent shop that sees all makes and models....they all got problems. The newer Nissans btw have many problems with Timing chain guides and tensioners....lotsa labor involved more so with the cars than trucks.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Wow, I just hope and pray that I can get that many miles out of my 2 WJs. One's got 151k on it and the other now has 124k on it. Honestly on the old one I went about a year without keeping up with proper maintenance on it....I do all my own mechanic work unless it's something I just can't do but a couple of years ago we had a wildfire and I lost all my tools along with everything else I owned so I'm slowly getting my tools replaced. Hell during that fire I went 22,000 miles between oil changes.....Didn't have time to take it in and honestly never really thought about it due to all the recovery related stuff. And when I did finally get that first oil change that old oil was B-L-A-C-K.....I did a few 1500 mile oil changes after that just to help get some of the crud out of there that probably accumulated. That was 40k miles ago and I can tell you I can go out and start that WJ up and drive it 1000 miles with no worries (as long as I don't have to stop for more than 5 minutes b/c the cooling fan is dead and I haven't replaced it yet.)

Long story short, be proud that your WJ has gone that many miles and IMO you ought to reward that with taking care of it and fixing it up....Just make it a project Jeep. OR, get a different WJ because that one does seem to have a few problematic issues, but your issues don't seem to be the norm for a WJ owner, 285k miles or not.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.