Buh-bye :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Buh-bye :(

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

Buh-bye :(

Well, looks like the time has come for me to say goodbye. GC sits in the backyard for now til I can figure out the best plan to sell it. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Here's what's wrong...
2001 with 285000 miles
If someone were to pull the codes, they would only find that it needs catalytic converters........
However, it also needs a complete cooling system Long story short, took it in for ac not working. After a month, they replaced the blower motor, resistor and wiring (I only paid for parts because they had a hard time finding the issue ). After driving it a few days, it started overheating, so I take it back to jeep. Replaced thermostat...still hot, so lets try water pump. That's when they find the problem. The housing is breaking down so badly that there are chunks of metal missing. A check of the new antifreeze just put in finds metal in it. So, it's safe to bet that the metal pieces are throughout the entire system. I leave jeep with no cost and advice to get out from under it quickly!
That was June... tags don't expire til Feb! I have driven it with no problems, and not using ac, since then. Temp would get up to a tad over half during my drive back and forth to work.
But... I am now the owner of a new Nissan, so it's time to figure out what to do with the jeep.......

mom2amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
COL
2000 WJ 

Trade the Jeep and the Nissan in on a new Jeep?
COL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

You know, I loved my GC, but there were just so many issues with it. I constantly found myself searching online for a fix that I could do myself. Sadly, it turned me off from Jeeps
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Sounds like the timing cover is toast. Its a known issue here on JF for the earlier 4.7 equipped WJs, but it doesn't seem to be very common (at least compared to say, the rocker arms falling off due to a collapsed lifter). I believe there was a casting issue with these covers which lead to failure, but many people also consider improper coolant or cooling system maintenance to be a contributing factor to timing cover failure.

Likely a cooling system flush and replacement cover is all that would be needed, but with the cover itself retailing between $200 and $300, with labor and markup it would likely still be a $1000+ job at a local shop or dealer.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

If that were the problem, I would still also have to replace the water pump housing at $500 (along with the mini-cats before tags ran out to get it through emissions). Also would have to look at heater core as well as radiator with all the metal that has been running through it.
Just looking to get rid of it at this point if anyone has any suggestions.
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

What kind of water pump are you getting for 500 bucks? They are at most $70 on rock auto. To replace every single element of the cooling system it might be $500. I'd say just fix what's wrong. It's cheaper than buying a new car, and you know the history of your current one. Every car is going to have its problems. However if you really want to sell it, put up a Craigslist ad with a description and a fair price.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2amk View Post
If that were the problem, I would still also have to replace the water pump housing at $500 (along with the mini-cats before tags ran out to get it through emissions). Also would have to look at heater core as well as radiator with all the metal that has been running through it.
Just looking to get rid of it at this point if anyone has any suggestions.

Ok then.

Put it up on the local classifieds for $500 then. Should have it sold in a couple hours.

Unread 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

Jeep quoted me the $500 to replace the water pump housing. Also said that I would be looking at close to $5000 to replace the entire cooling system, combine that with the cost to replace the mini cats, as well as the mileage and it was more cost effective to purchase something else.
I'm just trying to figure out my options to sell it and where I could get the most out of it.
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Your first mistake was going to the dealership. $5000 for the whole cooling system? That's ridiculous.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Jeep quoted me the $500 to replace the water pump housing. Also said that I would be looking at close to $5000 to replace the entire cooling system, combine that with the cost to replace the mini cats, as well as the mileage and it was more cost effective to purchase something else.
I'm just trying to figure out my options to sell it and where I could get the most out of it.
Yeah, no.

Just so you are aware, the water pump bolts onto the timing cover. There is no separate 'water pump housing'. Like I mentioned earlier, this part can be purchased for between $200 and $300 online. You will not have to replace any other part of the cooling system because 'there is metal in it'. A simple flush to get rid of any foreign debris should be all that's needed.

Also, you can purchase the y-pipe w/ cats for right around $500:

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-4949...agnaflow+49494

If you were to purchase the parts, you would be under $1000, then take them and the vehicle to an independent shop, who should be able to install them for $500 or less (depending on labor rate and hours).

Considering interior and exterior condition, you might be able to $2500 to $3000 with that kind of mileage. Of course that depends on local demand for such a vehicle.

Also, stop going to the dealer for general repair services. Their labor and parts markup is atrocious, and if you think Jeep is bad, just wait until you start heading to you local Nissan dealership.

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

I do have a mechanic that does all work that I can't do myself. He had it for almost a week and couldn't figure out the ac and intermittent overheating issue and suggested taking it to the dealer.
Overall condition is good, except for that damn drivers seat that is broke on 3 of the 4 corners!
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
grussell
2001 WJ 

No matter what brand you drive, you need to find an independent shop that specializes in your type of vehicle. They will be experienced in common problems and be able to complete repairs more cost effective. Stop going to the dealer, they have high overhead and have to pass that to their customers.
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
skip11and1
2013 MK Patriot 

op- if your independant mechanic said take it to a dealer for a jeep that is overheating, find a new mechanic
2005 WK, v6 QT1 (girlfriends)
skip11and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
mom2amk
2001 WJ 

Mechanic suggested taking it to dealer for the ac issue since the resistor and wiring had been replaced the month before and they couldn't pin-point why the fan kept cutting out. Jeep replaced the blower motor, put in a new resistor and new wiring at no cost to me since this didn't fix the blower issue. Turned out the control was bad.
As for the overheating, it was intermittent at the time since the ac wasn't working and putting a strain on the system. The overheating didn't start all the time until after the ac was fixed and since I had already mentioned it to jeep when it was there for the ac, that's where I took it back to. They had my GC for a little over a month total, gave me a rental, and the only cost I had was to replace the ac control and the labor for that.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
You know, I loved my GC, but there were just so many issues with it. I constantly found myself searching online for a fix that I could do myself. Sadly, it turned me off from Jeeps
Your complaining about a your jeep having to many issues, and that's why you wont buy another? It has 285 k on it and is 12 years old, I'm surprised it runs at all! I would love to know that my wj is going to make it that far.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.