JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   budget boost=clicking noise? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/budget-boost-clicking-noise-1550016/)

norrod414 07-16-2013 11:57 PM

budget boost=clicking noise?

I recently added a budget boost to my 2000 GCL and I had no trouble until I pulled my 17 ft boat to the lake then got home unhooked it and started hearing a aggravating clicking noise sounded like a u joint to me but they're all tight and leave no signs of rubbing the yolks....any help?

Cebby 07-18-2013 08:20 PM

Front Driveshaft Rzeppa Joint at the Transfer Case

Budget Boost accelerated the demise of mine. It was probably already on it's way out.

CrazyWalnut13 07-18-2013 08:57 PM

Where's the sound coming from? Does the clicking noise get louder/faster when you speed up or turn?

LarryDallas 07-18-2013 09:24 PM

Did you change shocks or unbolt the sway bars during install? Retighten all those if so. A lot of people have loose shocks, but I had a loose end link that clicked. That is the first place to look before replacing bushings or worse.

norrod414 07-20-2013 07:30 PM

Yes it does sound like the transfer to me or really close to it...it does however speed up or slow down with the speed of the vehicle. It doesn't do it all the time just every now and then and it has me confused. Should it not do it all the time?

tkcarp01 07-20-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norrod414
Yes it does sound like the transfer to me or really close to it...it does however speed up or slow down with the speed of the vehicle. It doesn't do it all the time just every now and then and it has me confused. Should it not do it all the time?

Do you notice it when driving straight, or turning, or both?

norrod414 07-20-2013 07:49 PM

Driving strait and turning to the left. It doesn't do it when turning right...and again its only doing it partial time. I even put the transfer in neutral and put the tranny in neutral go in down a hill and it still done the clicking and when I started back up the hill it stopped

tkcarp01 07-20-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Driving strait and turning to the left. It doesn't do it when turning right...and again its only doing it partial time. I even put the transfer in neutral and put the tranny in neutral go in down a hill and it still done the clicking and when I started back up the hill it stopped

Hmm... Have you checked the CV joint boots on your front axles? If one of them has a tear... Your joint may be going out.

norrod414 07-20-2013 08:23 PM

Yeah I checked everything the other day and even took to a local mechanic and he couldn't find a single thing wrong with it checked everything pulled all the drive lines and checked all the case fluids and everything checked out but then again he's not a full time jeep mechanic I think its something simple that I'm worrying about

tkcarp01 07-20-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah I checked everything the other day and even took to a local mechanic and he couldn't find a single thing wrong with it checked everything pulled all the drive lines and checked all the case fluids and everything checked out but then again he's not a full time jeep mechanic I think its something simple that I'm worrying about

You could always use the tried and true method of drive it until something breaks. Then you'll know. :-D

Cebby 07-20-2013 10:33 PM

How many miles on your Jeep?

norrod414 07-21-2013 12:24 AM

130,000 miles I've had it roughly a couple months haven't done anything besides the Bb a brush guard and a light bar on the roof and I'm sure that didn't cause a noise haha..I've read on here that if the transfer or front end gets low of fluid it could cause the "noise" they also said there's an additive of some sort that it needed too. But then again if my mechanic thourghly then he should have seen either or being low?

tkcarp01 07-21-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

130,000 miles I've had it roughly a couple months haven't done anything besides the Bb a brush guard and a light bar on the roof and I'm sure that didn't cause a noise haha..I've read on here that if the transfer or front end gets low of fluid it could cause the "noise" they also said there's an additive of some sort that it needed too. But then again if my mechanic thourghly then he should have seen either or being low?

Yes.. Your x-case needs Mopar 247 fluid ONLY. Your diffs have a few options... I know a lot of guys on here use the Redline 75w-140, even more use the Mopar spec with friction modifier. I use the Royal Purple with the modifier already added. It'd be worth a call to the Mechanic to make sure he didn't use regular ATF+4 in the x-case, and put the correct fluid in the diffs.

alfaitalia 07-21-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkcarp01 (Post 15700672)
Yes.. Your x-case needs Mopar 247 fluid ONLY. Your diffs have a few options... I know a lot of guys on here use the Redline 75w-140, even more use the Mopar spec with friction modifier. I use the Royal Purple with the modifier already added. It'd be worth a call to the Mechanic to make sure he didn't use regular ATF+4 in the x-case, and put the correct fluid in the diffs.

Or Petronas Arbor or Mobil 424....all now factory approved.....and quite a bit cheaper...at least it is in the UK!

tkcarp01 07-21-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaitalia

Or Petronas Arbor or Mobil 424....all now factory approved.....and quite a bit cheaper...at least it is in the UK!

... Or that stuffs, depending on who you ask.

The time now is 07:14 AM.