Broken spark plug in head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken spark plug in head

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Chandler

Broken spark plug in head

I just did it. Changing plus in my jeep 4.7 Ho and one of the plugs broke and I only extraced the ceramic tip. The threaded part is still in the head.

Is there any tools to extract this? luckily it is the most accessible plug.

Unread 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
I just did it. Changing plus in my jeep 4.7 Ho and one of the plugs broke and I only extraced the ceramic tip. The threaded part is still in the head.

Is there any tools to extract this? luckily it is the most accessible plug.

An easy out

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Consider using a combination of heat and penetrating oil to loosen it up if it's seized. Easy out is the tool to use, but they also have a tendency to expand the plug as they dig in which can work against you. If you can help free it up with some GOOD penetrating oil (fluid film or something, not WD40) the easy out will work better. Good luck!
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Chandler

I ended up breaking 2 spark plugs before it was done. The first came out easy with an easy out. Thanks for that tip. I bought an easy out set at Auto Zone for $10 and the biggest fit perfect. I use a 16 point socket on the end of it and taped it so it stayed attached.

The second broken one was very stuck. I couldn't get the original easy out out and was going to try a different one so I didn't have to buy another set from autozone. The second tap looked very simular size from the first but for some reason the first one really locked on. I didn't chance it and bought another set to get the big one. Using my torque wrench I applied much more force on the second than the first and it didn't budge. Out of fear of breaking something else I just held at a steady high force and didn't keep pushing harder. Took about 2-3 minutes of heavy pushing for it to finally break loose.

I think the combination of buying this jeep from the east coast in 2005 and still original plugs at 105000 miles was the culprit. The new plugs now have anti seize. I will see how that works at 200k in another 10 years.

The old plugs I measured the gap at .050 and they still had a little bit of electrode left. New plugs gaped at .040.
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
fastrr
2004 WJ 

Ouch! I am getting ready to do replace my plugs. Looks like it would be best to get some penetrating oil on them before I try to remove them. I hope that mine doesn't go the same route.
fastrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

make sure you use anti-seize when putting the new ones in... that helps prevent this
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Whew!!! I just changed my plugs on Thursday night, thank god none of them broke!
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Engine must be COLD, when changing the plugs, so if your considering a plug change, let it sit overnite, and yes antiseize on teh new plug threads for sure
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Good advice for the anti-sieze (Especially in aluminum heads) but make sure you use high temprature (Copper baised) anti-sieze. The graphite stuff wont hold up for that type of use.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
xmonger
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Good advice for the anti-sieze (Especially in aluminum heads) but make sure you use high temprature (Copper baised) anti-sieze. The graphite stuff wont hold up for that type of use.
I did the plugs twice on my HO. When I first got it and 30k later. The first time was a PITA...the second was nice and easy. I used the "silver" anti seize and didn't have any issues.

Generally, copper and aluminum do not play well together. Might not be an issue but I'm sticking with what I know works well.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
cuttysark

also.. something i didnt do because i spent so much time on #8.... I put the dielectric grease on the inside of the coils... i didnt put it on the outside as well...... put it on the outside of the coils to prevent sticking.. and as monger said, the silver stuff works fine, its better than absolutely nothing on those threads.
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.