Broken rear shock bracket!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken rear shock bracket!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Pedro7
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 466
Broken rear shock bracket!!

Anyone ever had any problems with the RCX rear shock relocating brackets? After a trip a few weeks ago I heard some squeeking under my Jeep and decided to check it out. Apparently I put too much stress on the rear shocks and it broke the factory shock brackets. Does anyone make replacement shock mounts I could weld on to the 44a? I need to replace both of em as both are broken.

This pic I stole from 4Wheeler, but my bracket is cracked off on the left side. Just to give you an idea.


__________________
KCCO
2000 WJ - Clayton, IRO, MileMarker, Custom Splice, JCR, Bilstein, Rola, Federal Tires
1997 TJ - Restoration completed thanks to: Cooper Tires, Rustys, Rough Country, and Quadratec.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,544
Well, it's 1/3 the thickness of the OEM shock bracket and in a single-shear application. What do you expect?
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
tsconver
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 2,936
why relocate the shock? It works fine in its factory mount and I agree with above you are going from a double sheer to a single sheer plus you are putting forces on the factory bracket from a spot and angle it was never intended to have put on it.
__________________
Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
jmccallie99wj
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: interlochen, mi
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
why relocate the shock? It works fine in its factory mount and I agree with above you are going from a double sheer to a single sheer plus you are putting forces on the factory bracket from a spot and angle it was never intended to have put on it.
The made the relocation kit so wider tires don't rub, I too got this in my kit. But havnt installed them cause they do seem pretty cheap. Couldn't u just run more backspacing?
jmccallie99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler
 
WiCkeDuDe's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,062
Cant you just weld the existing bracket?
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Hack
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Firestone, CO
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccallie99wj View Post
The made the relocation kit so wider tires don't rub, I too got this in my kit. But havnt installed them cause they do seem pretty cheap. Couldn't u just run more backspacing?
LESS backspacing
Hack is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
jmccallie99wj
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: interlochen, mi
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
LESS backspacing
Oops, I meant less!
jmccallie99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,694
Im confused. Did the RCX bracket break, or did the original shock mount break? You are asking if there are other brackets you can weld to a 44a. Why? If the RCX bracket broke, just mount the shock in the original mount.

I never had a problem with my RCX brackets. Ran them pretty damn hard over a year.
__________________
2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
robd2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vincennes, IN, IN
Posts: 1,339
RCX BRACKET IS JUNK! its not correctly applying the forces. especially with a small bolt...

i had this on my wj and had to fix the problem 8 times. The last of which it broke going down the highway!
got back from out of state went to a buddies shop, cut off ALL the welding we had done made new brackets, and drilled for 1/2" grade 8 bolt. Guess what, no problems after that..

I contacted RC and simply got well we need a picture to see what happened, and was were you driving recklessly? their customer service is horrible, before i even explained how it broke off they were blaming it on me and my wife's driving. Going straight down the highway with very few curves or anything and it breaks? I think its a horrible design.


Buy after market wheels, i have some for sale and run the STOCK location, which will need fixed
__________________
Jeeps:
99' XJ<->5.5" Lift; 35's; SYE; Winch; much more goodies too
02' WJ<->Rebuilt from wreck, still stock
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
RCX BRACKET IS JUNK! its not correctly applying the forces. especially with a small bolt...

i had this on my wj and had to fix the problem 8 times. The last of which it broke going down the highway!
got back from out of state went to a buddies shop, cut off ALL the welding we had done made new brackets, and drilled for 1/2" grade 8 bolt. Guess what, no problems after that..

I contacted RC and simply got well we need a picture to see what happened, and was were you driving recklessly? their customer service is horrible, before i even explained how it broke off they were blaming it on me and my wife's driving. Going straight down the highway with very few curves or anything and it breaks? I think its a horrible design.


Buy after market wheels, i have some for sale and run the STOCK location, which will need fixed
So your welds failed and you blamed RC for that? I guarantee had you called them after the first time they broke, they would have replaced them. But since you started doing your own thing to them, that IS your problem. I havent had to deal with there customer service very often because Ive never had a problem with their products, but when I have, they have been extremely helpful.

Like I said, I rode mine hard for over a year, even jumped it a couple times (accidentally, of course ) bent my axle, but all my RC parts held up great. How the hell are you breaking parts by driving on a smooth road in a straight line? I think you are not telling the whole story...
__________________
2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
robd2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vincennes, IN, IN
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
So your welds failed and you blamed RC for that? I guarantee had you called them after the first time they broke, they would have replaced them. But since you started doing your own thing to them, that IS your problem. I havent had to deal with there customer service very often because Ive never had a problem with their products, but when I have, they have been extremely helpful.

Like I said, I rode mine hard for over a year, even jumped it a couple times (accidentally, of course ) bent my axle, but all my RC parts held up great. How the hell are you breaking parts by driving on a smooth road in a straight line? I think you are not telling the whole story...
No i called them the first time they had broke, left side went first, then the right side broke the actuall shock mount. braced it up thoroughly on the right side that broke the actuall shock mount.

They wanted detailed pictures when the first time it happened. Explanation of why it happened. And such, first time it happened, my pregnant wife was driving, and she didnt know what happened. Maybe its luck of the draw, idk, but i will not be using their products, to each his own right?


And honestly i dont think the bracket should be used, and if it is, with a larger diamater bolt. As it does put extra stress on the mounts.
__________________
Jeeps:
99' XJ<->5.5" Lift; 35's; SYE; Winch; much more goodies too
02' WJ<->Rebuilt from wreck, still stock
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Pedro7
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 466
It was the stock axle bracket that broke, not the RC bracket. I knew it looked like a ****ty design from day 1, but stupid me figured it must be ok so I threw them on. Oh well, live and learn and I'm probably going to have a buddy help me with cutting them off and welding new brackets on. They'll be much stronger and I wont have to worry about it. And I have wheel spacers, but just felt like installing the kit the way it was supposed to be installed because it's just how I like to do things. Oh well, **** happens, I messed up. I'm glad i'm not the only one who has had problems with them.
__________________
KCCO
2000 WJ - Clayton, IRO, MileMarker, Custom Splice, JCR, Bilstein, Rola, Federal Tires
1997 TJ - Restoration completed thanks to: Cooper Tires, Rustys, Rough Country, and Quadratec.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
robd2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vincennes, IN, IN
Posts: 1,339
Its all good. Its always good to learn
__________________
Jeeps:
99' XJ<->5.5" Lift; 35's; SYE; Winch; much more goodies too
02' WJ<->Rebuilt from wreck, still stock
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
WJChris
Web Wheeler
 
WJChris's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 2,500
get monotube shocks next, they are thinner and less chance of rubbing.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
WJguyinKC
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leavenworth, Kansas
Posts: 73
Mine sheared off as well with daily driving. The combination of really stiff RC shocks and locating the shock outside of the original bracket is a recipe for trouble. I welded new 1/4'' steel brackets and moved them toward the center of the axle about an inch and a half. No flex/rub danger & the shock is back INSIDE the shock bracket where it's supposed to be. New bilsteins are on the way too.
WJguyinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.