Broken Locks and Windows (already fixed the infamous Black Wire) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken Locks and Windows (already fixed the infamous Black Wire)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
ceverhar
2004 WJ 

Unhappy Broken Locks and Windows (already fixed the infamous Black Wire)

Problem:
My windows and locks do not operate, my back hatch is indefinitely locked and when I turn on my headlamps, the interior lights stay on (unless I turn the dimmer to off). However, the driver's side window and lock works as does the back passenger window (not lock) on the driver's side.

History:
The window/lock problem happened about a year ago and after searching online I found the "black wire" problem and found it severed on both the driver and passenger side. Reattaching them fixed the problem. Fast forward a few months and it broke again.

Most Recent Attempt to Fix:
I went back and soldered the wires together and enclosed them with electrical tape. (Since I didn't have the proper tools the first time it broke, I had just hooked the wires together. Not pretty, but it worked at the time). That didn't work. So my dad and I had both door panels off to make sure there were no wiring faults inside the door. Again, nothing out of place and it appeared that power was going to the driver and passenger control panels. I would like to point out that the interior light problem cropped up after we attempted looking for the problem.

Question:
What the hell do I do next to try and A) fix my problem or B) figure out where my problem is? I have access to a multimeter and soldering equipment. I just don't know where to go next.

Thanks for any and all help!

ceverhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
theonlyrobertso
2014 JK Wrangler 

permanent fix...

You should check both driver/passenger door harness for broken black and orange/white wires. Permanent fix can be had here unless you like fixing it once a year or more.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...epair-1488243/
theonlyrobertso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
ceverhar
2004 WJ 

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already fixed the wires and verified that voltage and ground are correct. I've checked all 4 doors, fuses and wiring inside the door panels.

Could the problem be with the passenger side control mechanism (switch box mounted in the door)?
ceverhar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.