Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Broken Front Drive Shaft - 2000 QuadraDrive

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  A8275 
#1 ·
Broken Front Drive Shaft (with pics!) - 2000 QuadraDrive

Hi,

I've recently been hearing some unknown grinding/clicking noises from under my 2000 Limited that seemed to come and go - until last week when there was a massive BANG! while driving through snow. The AWD hasn't worked since, only rear wheels spin, and 4LO doesn't engage. On ice or in snow there's a clattering metal on metal sound. Today I found that the front drive shaft has totally snapped off where it enters the transfer-case. I guess the horrible noise is the end of the shaft bouncing around when the AWD tries to transfer power to the front wheels? ...

As noted it's the QuadraDrive AWD setup with the 4.7 V8 engine. I assume I just need a new front drive shaft?... Do I need a special part or are all WJs the same? Can I buy a used replacement? How difficult is the repair? Is this likely to have done any damage to the AWD system?

Thanks!

#4 ·
This is what I have...

First two pics are the end toward the front of the Jeep and the last two are on the transfer-case side where the shaft has snapped off...

Is it a rezeppa rezeppa?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.