Broken blend door motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken blend door motor

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
avlisj

Broken blend door motor

I replaced the driver side blend door motor due to the sleeve breaking and causing it to over rotate a few times now
Las one lasted 5 months
Is this due to a malfunctioning climate control unit?
Seems that the unit does not sense the stop of the door and keep power to the motor until the sleeve breaks causing the code
I know my circulator doorm

avlisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
avlisj

[QUOTE="avlisj"]I replaced the driver side blend door motor due to the sleeve breaking and causing it to over rotate a few times now
Las one lasted 5 months
Is this due to a malfunctioning climate control unit?
Seems that the unit does not sense the stop of the door and keep power to the motor until the sleeve breaks causing the code
I know my circulator door has same breakage but is impossible to get to
Guess I'm lucky the passenger side doesn't break
Trying to figure out if replacing the motor is a waste or there just that weak
avlisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

That's how the unit works, it keeps forcing the door against the stop until the resistance in the motor is detected to hit a preset value and it stops sending power. It's hard on equipment doing it that way, but that's what they decided to do rather than limit switches. I repaired mine with a gear type hose clamp. It's a tight fit and you have to line up the screw part in the right orientation or the screw part of the clamp will hit the moldings on the heater bog, but it works and it won't break again. And yep, I'm thankful every day that my passenger side hasn't failed. I'm so paranoid about the crappy setup that I usually don't adjust temp (leave it on high or low), just fan speed.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

How did you repair the "sleeve" (or door) the first time it broke? It seems like the repair didn't hold.

Usually, we replace both doors with ones that are much stronger. We don't blame the motor.
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

It's fairly common for the sleeve on the actuator to split. Mine split on the recirc door and left blend door. Knock on wood I've never had an actual blend door fail, only the actuator drive sleeve/cup things.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.