Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bridgestone Ecopia ep422

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
gordon
2003 WJ 

Bridgestone Ecopia ep422

I just had a very bad Tire experience and I want to pass this info on as I would not want to see someone barrel rolling down the Highway.

I was "Sold" a set of Bridgestone ecopia ep422 at my local Firestone, I was told the are low drag running High load tire. I was advised that they were every bit as good as the Dueller HL's I was going to go for.

I have a standard height 2003 V8 4.7L and I tow a boat, I have Bilsteins fitted too. I initially messed around with tire pressures as these new tires felt really bad - Like the car was riding on Ballons. I put this to the back of my mind, until the next day when we set off with the boat heading south for our vacation in Sunny FL. As soon as I hit the HWY I done my usual trick, take the wagon up to 70 - 80 mph, just to check all was running well before carry on down the road any further. At 70 mph, because of these new squishy tires any slight steering input translated to violent fishtailing, which nearly caused us to have a disaster. Before you say I should not tow at these speeds, let me tell you I usually stick to around 65mph, with my old tires I ran up to 85 mph towing with perfect stability.

So, I immediately turned round and called the tire shop, who after arguing with me that I don't know what I am talking about very quickly changed these tires out for Dueller HL's. As soon as we hit the highway heading south once more all was perfect, no fishtailing, took it all the way to 85mph just to see then backed off to 65mph and had a great journey south.

What relly miffs me about this whole experience is that if you google the reviews for this Ecopia tire you will find nothing but 5 stars. They are crap at best and dangerous at worst. The only application for these should be on your grandpa's 20 year old armchair Buick.

I should have trusted my gut and I would not have bought them in the first place. They have additional circular strengthening to make them more economical running - at the expense of less sidewall belting. PLUS they have siping on them like you find on a snow tire. I used to run snow tires in Switzerland, you are not supposed to do more than 45 - 50 mph with these tires as the small blocks will sqirm around a lot and can get hot.

This whole design makes the Bridgestone ecopia ep422 a dangerous tire which Bridgestone should remove from the market.

I had memorys of the Firestone/Ford Rollover battles.

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

There is nothing wrong with the ecopia ep422's.The problem was they sold you a tire that does not belong on your Jeep.The ecopia ep422 is designed for a passenger car and smaller crossovers,not a WK.
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the review?

I have to admit I've almost never put any new product (tire, shock, brake, etc) on a vehicle and had it perform drastically different just on street or highway driving - i.e. the differences among products I've used have only really become significant in any way when something outside of commuting is called-for. So while I believe you, I also am struggling to understand how an ordinary tire from a premium manufacturer can be as dangerous as you suggest. I suppose it's moot, as I'll be sticking with LT rated tires on this vehicle for other reasons.
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
gordon
2003 WJ 

Just passing on my own experience. If they were not intending to sell them for SUV's why did they go to the trouble of making SUV sized tires? Buyer beware. I would also NEVER put these things on a passenger car either.
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
Just passing on my own experience. If they were not intending to sell them for SUV's why did they go to the trouble of making SUV sized tires? Buyer beware. I would also NEVER put these things on a passenger car either.
They make those sizes for minivans and crossovers like CRV's,escapes,and such.From customers that we've installed those tires they have nothing but good things to say about them.Are they the greatest? No but but not a hazzard to anyones life like your stating.You just had a bad sales rep is all that suckered you into tires not made for your Jeep so he could get a better profit margin.
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Your first problem was going to Firestone. I have seen nothing but problems with them from family, friends, and my self.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

it also depends on the driver, your like me, have to get a nice tire that performs well, and you notice flex in a tire alot more when your towing a large load than just normal driving, i agree with you because ive put some crap tires on my bmw before (goodyears) and they all dont hold the road at all, i prefer michelin car tires over anything else out there, well, maybe continentals, but my jeep, i actually enjoyed the cooper discoverer h/t's, they rode really nice and held the road very well, they just sucked in mud lol, but i agree, someone just sold you a tire that would not fit what you needed it to do, and i also agree that they may not be fir for a heavy wk, remember, we have the same size tires as what can go on the escapes and explorers and there much lighter, and certainly not rated at the 6000 towing a wj is
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
notfastenough5
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
Would you not put these on a passenger car pulling an RV?

Seriously, wrong tire for the application you have. Get over it and be happy they worked with you to put the right tire on. I have heard of REAL service horror stories for unsatisfactory tires when it means having a shop take a used set of tires back in inventory.

BTW how bad did the MPGs go down.....
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
driverXyj

Fishtailing on grooved roads--tremlining

Gordon,

Costco sold me these tires on my mini cooper and I almost died on the highway with them going 68 mph. When I hit a patch of road with grooves, the car began to fishtail heavily and I almost lost total control of the car. This is called tremlining--but in my case it was so severe that I could have easily been in a high speed wreck.

These are very dangerous tires and installers should know not to put these on certain vehicles. They're probably great in regular passenger cars but extremely dangerous on high performance or smaller cars like the mini cooper.

Someone should be warning people of this problem!
driverXyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
ColinB90

I work at a firestone as a technician the salesman should of never even offered those tires to you with a jeep. The ecopia tires have a VERY soft/ weak sidewalls that flex and feel very unstable. That's why I stick to the Bridgestone dueler at revos
ColinB90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverXyj View Post
Gordon,

Costco sold me these tires on my mini cooper and I almost died on the highway with them going 68 mph. When I hit a patch of road with grooves, the car began to fishtail heavily and I almost lost total control of the car. This is called tremlining--but in my case it was so severe that I could have easily been in a high speed wreck.

These are very dangerous tires and installers should know not to put these on certain vehicles. They're probably great in regular passenger cars but extremely dangerous on high performance or smaller cars like the mini cooper.

Someone should be warning people of this problem!
Mini's are dangerous regardless of what tires are on it,4 flat ones makes a safe mini

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.