Brakes sticking intermediately..getting HOT! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brakes sticking intermediately..getting HOT!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
tedster67

Brakes sticking intermediately..getting HOT!

New to forums and this is our first Jeep. Have owned our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for a year now. It has the 4.7 v8. On the first long drive noticed the front driver side brake got hot and was steaming. Came back out later no problems again for a year. Ready to go on vacation and changed the brake pads and greased. First longer trip my wife takes and again the brakes started sticking and got hot..not only the front but also the rear. She let cool down and limped home not good. I would think it is a caliper problem but seems odd that all 3 would act up at once. Wondering could this be a master cylinder problem our should I replace all calipers? Any help appreciated.

tedster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Similar issue this year. First noticed year ago the back brake was getting hot, burning and smelling. Then didn't do it again till this year. They didn't break free though this time. I had it in drive let off the brake and wouldn't even move because they were stuck. Ended up replacing the caliper and bracket that hold the slide pins, couldn't get the old pins to even budge so had to buy new ones. Wasn't that expensive altogether, for one caliper and bracket and slide pins it was around 70 bucks
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Oh and if you have teves calipers up front get the upgraded akebono for the fronts. The back was never upgraded so they are still teves. And check the slide pins
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Hiro

might help:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...g-fix-1544995/
Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Thanks for that link! I have a dragging problem with my rear left, and the slides move with no effort, and the piston retracts with little (normal) resistance. I'll have to try some of those tips.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Hiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
Thanks for that link! I have a dragging problem with my rear left, and the slides move with no effort, and the piston retracts with little (normal) resistance. I'll have to try some of those tips.
sounds exactly as my GC!
Hiro
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

If the 4.7 and 4.0 have the same brakes I'm guessing it would work for both?
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Had rear calipers freeze up, change and get some rebuilt calipers, pistons are stick in the bores.

If calipers are origninal they are over due, as mentioned if doing the front repalce the Teves with the Akebonos, need the caliper and brackets.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Hiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1367 View Post
If the 4.7 and 4.0 have the same brakes I'm guessing it would work for both?
the drag reduction clip will work with any caliper as far as you have enough room to fit it between the pad "ears",
these clips are easy to DIY from steel wire & I guess we could also modify some commercially available for other cars,
there are lots for sale @ NAPA or Raybestos but unfortunately none for our rear calipers.
Hiro

some more inspiration here:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74564
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

the drag reduction clip will work with any caliper as far as you have enough room to fit it between the pad "ears",
these clips are easy to DIY from steel wire & I guess we could also modify some commercially available for other cars,
there are lots for sale @ NAPA or Raybestos but unfortunately none for our rear calipers.
Hiro

some more inspiration here:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74564
Thanks hiro

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.