Brake squeak while NOT braking. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake squeak while NOT braking.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

Brake squeak while NOT braking.

I've changed my rear brakes week ago, new calipers, rotor, hand brake cables, hand brake shoes and new springs and adjuster. But now my brakes squeak while I'm not braking (squeal stops immediately when I apply brake), not noticeable at lower speeds but at 50 km/h (20mph). And not noticeable while windows is closed.
The squeal is really high pitched.
My rear brakes are well greased, both slide pins and all metal to metal surfaces.

Don't know if the squeal is coming from front or rear.

Got any ideas on how I can get rid of the squeal ?

I tried what happened if i do a hard brakein, the squeal disappears for a few seconds. Then comes back.

HiPERnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
Duh

Make sure you check wheel and axle bearings. If the wheel isnt tracking straight it will put pressure on the brakes and cause a squeel, braking will hold the wheel solid in the pads and stop the noise.
Just an idea without hearing it. Noises cant be diagnosed over the internet very well most of the time.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

My front passenger side does a bit of squeaking as it rubs somwhere every so slightly, but not all the time. Havn't tracked it down, but it's not really bad and have had other more important issues to deal with. Will be taking it in soon for a winter maintenance and ahve all my slide pins greased etc so I hopefully won't have a caliper seize like it did last winter. Breaking stops it but will come back. Try lifting and turn each wheel by hand and see if you can track down the noise. Could be as simple as it rubbing on a dust sheild. If it does it at low speed, have someone walk along side the jeep and see if they can better pin point where the noise is and go from there.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

You sure the front wear indicators aren't just squeaking now?
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh
Make sure you check wheel and axle bearings. If the wheel isnt tracking straight it will put pressure on the brakes and cause a squeel, braking will hold the wheel solid in the pads and stop the noise.
Just an idea without hearing it. Noises cant be diagnosed over the internet very well most of the time.
The rear bearings and axle seal was changed same time as I changed the rear brakes (a week ago)
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

Anyone got any tips on how to find out if squeal is conning from front or rear ?
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPERnx
Anyone got any tips on how to find out if squeal is conning from front or rear ?
Have someone stand outside if it can be heard slower. Otherwise have them sot in the back seat with their head hanging out the window.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

I did just true to wiggle the front wheel, no play at all. Will check the rear this afternoon (cet).

Can it be that my front pads aren't greased on metal to metal suffices ?
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
oldfamilyguy

Quote:
You sure the front wear indicators aren't just squeaking now?
What you describe sure sounds like that to me. Worth a look. Or maybe the new pads you put on the back? Any chance a wear indicator on one of the new pads got bent or made wrong so its rubbing the rotor. Not sure if thats really possible but I've been known to bend them out of the way to buy a little time.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy
What you describe sure sounds like that to me. Worth a look. Or maybe the new pads you put on the back? Any chance a wear indicator on one of the new pads got bent or made wrong so its rubbing the rotor. Not sure if thats really possible but I've been known to bend them out of the way to buy a little time.
The new rear pads didn't have wear indicators !
The outer front pad looks fine, will check inner pads
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
oldfamilyguy

I was also thinking maybe a dust shield, they get bent some time and contact the rotor, but not really the sound that you describe.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
pauler
2001 WJ 

Did you use brake pad shims?

I had this problem with my rear brakes and when I changed my pads last time I made sure to get pads w/ built in shims -- no noise!
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

If you mean the rubber thing on the backside, then yes, my new and old pads have some kind of rubber plate on the back.

I took apart my front brake and found this
That can be the reason for squealing ?
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
oldfamilyguy

With that kind of wear down it looks to be dragging so it could be causing the constant noise. It needs to be taken care of for sure. Hows your fuel economy? Does that wheel get hot?
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
HiPERnx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy
With that kind of wear down it looks to be dragging so it could be causing the constant noise. It needs to be taken care of for sure. Hows your fuel economy? Does that wheel get hot?
To me it just looks like normal wear, but the slide pins have been badly greased. They were really hard to move.
My fuel economy is okay, average compared to other wjs

I have greased the pads contact points to the anchor and the slide pins. Will se how it does.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.