!!!!!Brake lights stop working with headlights on!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > !!!!!Brake lights stop working with headlights on!!!!!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
iamrion

Wj !!!!!Brake lights stop working with headlights on!!!!!!

Have an issue with my '01 Grand Cherokee Laredo where my brake lights will not illuminate when the headlights are on. The brake lights work fine without them on. The tail lights are illuminated when the headlights are on but go off when the brake pedal is applied, leaving me without tail lights or brake lights.

Could this be a fuse or wiring issue? I have looked at several fuses that I thought might be related but the ones I looked at seem to be fine. If anyone has any idea please let me know!

iamrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
iamrion

UPDATE: For anyone who wants to know I have found the resolution to this problem. The piece that holds the bulb for the brake and tail light has a power and ground that it makes contact with when you insert it. If you pry those small pieces up just a bit and clean them up well it will solve the problem. Another post also suggested using a solder to make the contact point larger. I did not try this method, but the other individual said it worked for them.
iamrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Muggsie
2002 WJ 

I had the same problem with mine. In a pinch I just switched my reverse light plug and bulb and all the lights worked fine.
Muggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
orionife
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

We had the same problem of the lights going out when the brake was pressed, but work fine with the head lights off. Just did the solder method on my sons 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it worked! Thanks
orionife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

You should try the forum's search function. Glad you got it working. Very common.
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
orionife
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

I did use the forums search function, that is how I found this thread to learn to try to solder.
orionife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionife
I did use the forums search function, that is how I found this thread to learn to try to solder.
Yes and there are countless threads saying the same thing.

Sent from my hacked Kindle Fire using JeepForum
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
egsauer
1999 WJ 

Thanks! Just did the solder method on my 99 WJ and it worked. Glad this forum is here and glad you folks are part of it.
egsauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.