Brake light problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake light problems

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

Exclamation Brake light problems

When I turn my head lights on via the headlight stick the two back lights stay on, when I turn off the switch off the back lights stay off. When I put my foot on the brake the lights dont work. Ideas?

Fiosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

Now that I think about it, it might be the brake light switch.

How do I replace it?
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

im guessing all 3 brake lights dont work? have you tried replacing the bulbs first, the ones on the body are dual filament bulbs, meaning that a different filament is lit up with the parking lights than the brake lights and the 3rd brake light, up on the hatch above the glass comes out with 2 screws, cant remember if there torx or not, but take that out and check the bulb there too, if its black and not clear, replace it and then check the lights again
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

All three brake lights only work when the headlights are on

When I apply the brake, the three lights Don't come on
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

oh oh, hmm, i thought you were saying that only the park lights were coming on with the headlight switch i was like der, lol but ok now i understand better, hmm... you got a good one, i mean yea i would say you could try a brake light switch, but it sounds like you may have a short somewhere, brake light switch shouldnt be that much, hell the one for my bmw was like $30 at the dealer, i dont see why jeep would be more, but it should just be under the dash and the push part against the brake pedal, it might be worth a shot to change it depending on how cheap it is, i mean i guess you could just always drive with your headlights on, it is safer anyways lol
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

Is this what I need......Its $7

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1005915
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

it looks right, ive never replaced the one in my jeep, but that looks correct, as long as thats what comes up for your year/make/model, but you might see if someone else chimes in, its a unique problem, kinda got me puzzled but i mean, if you want to chance $7 go for it
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

JEEPINWV.COM
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

If ordering it for sure. I'll post updates and maybe pics when it comes
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Had this issue years back... the part that holds the bulb usually gets a bad connection and causes a short. easiest remedy is to check the contact on EVERY tail light socket, brake, turn, and rev... then is that doesnt solve the issue, try to move them around... rev to brake etc to find if one or more went bad... if you can that there are bad ones you can rig them numerous ways guys on here have, but it's only a bandaid on a gunshot wound. at that point its probably either socket replacements or tail light replacement time.\

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...ontrol-303194/

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Fiosman
2012 KK Liberty 

Well, Its not the brake light switch. I looked at the fuse panel to check the brake light switch fuse and discovered it was blown. As soon as I put a new fuse in, it went....

So It must be a short?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.