brake light problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > brake light problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
JackStraw
1999 WJ 

brake light problem

just noticed a problem with the brake lights on my wife's 99 g.c. the brake lights work fine when the headlights are off, but when you turn the headlights on, the brake lights no longer work. any ideas?

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
longboy
2006 WK 

This has happened on my '99 2 times since I bought it. Both times the problem was solved with a new bulb socket that I purchased from the dealer ($10 or so).

Is this on both sides, or just one side?
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
JackStraw
1999 WJ 

both sides. you've had to do it twice, you think there is something shorting it out?
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
longboy
2006 WK 

I have no idea, nor do I plan on doing much about it

It has happened 2 times in about 89k miles, and if it costs me $10 every 45k I'm ok with that honestly.
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
JackStraw
1999 WJ 

cleaned and bent the contacts back up on the bulb socket, working good now
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
NYjeepster24
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm just posting this bc I asked some time ago and nobody knew what the issue was. I found this so this is not my work. I thought my light didn't work when I turned on the car but it was really just when my lights were on(of course the worst time). Found this on another forum and saved a good deal of money. This may have already been posted but just wanted to make sure. Seems to be a very common issue.

Jeff | Jan 27, 2007 | Reply
First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took mea little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Larado).
1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”.
6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
9) You should be in good to go!
10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
11) Time : 5 minutes per light
NYjeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.