brake light mystery!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
lrivera1342
2000 WJ 

Wj brake light mystery!!!

good day all,

i am at my wits end trying to figure out a problem with my 2000 JGC 4.7 rear brake lights!!!!

all bulbs are brand new and working, i dont have any rust or contact problems at the bulb holder (socket in rear) my problem is:

when i step on the brakes when the car is off they come on (all brake lights including the 3rd high one) ......its when i start changing the designation on the light stalk from last to parking to on to DRL mode ) the lights go off, very frustrating while driving and only the 3rd high brake light works all the time in every light mode????? and yes i checked and i have full power when they are on and zero volts when they are off in the other modes??

any suggestions ?? please ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 07:52 PM
skipperau

Check the tail light units, in the area around the sockets, they get hot and the terminals can actually melt the plastic, they recede due to the pressure from the lamp holder eventually losing connection. My earth connections did that recently giving me symptoms sort of similar to yours.
Other options start getting a bit harder to find, short circuits around the multi-function switch or the modular plugs behind the dash come to mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
lrivera1342
2000 WJ 

The tail light units are good, i can see in a mirror that when i am pressing on the brakes and switch to turn the headlights on they go off, and when i turn the headlights off they turn back on. they are not getting any voltage when the headlights are on i dont know if it could be a relay or something in the multi switch for the lights by the steering wheel

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 AM
grayWJ4x4

Go on eBay, get a new LED set for a few bucks and end all of your frustrations. WJs has the crappiest tail lights.
There are million threads about them and even tons of YouTube videos on how to fix the contact points, but imo none of them worth the trouble because they will flatten out again.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM
wjkruse

My WJ did exactly the same thing.
It was the left tail light bulb was not connecting good.
Removed the bulb connector and bent the tabs out abit and fixed the problem.
Mine is slightly melted internally and hard to notice

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
lrivera1342
2000 WJ 

i tried the contact point bending upwards fix and it doesnt apply, when i switch the lights on i am getting zero volts across the contact points, with the lights off i get 12 volts across the points.

something is shutting the power to the bulbs off in my case i think ....it could be the turn signal assembly or a relay somewhere i cant seem to find one designated for the rear ??
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 PM
wolf_7669
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivera1342 View Post
i tried the contact point bending upwards fix and it doesnt apply, when i switch the lights on i am getting zero volts across the contact points, with the lights off i get 12 volts across the points.

something is shutting the power to the bulbs off in my case i think ....it could be the turn signal assembly or a relay somewhere i cant seem to find one designated for the rear ??
When you turn your lights on and the brake lights disappear, are your front running lights on like they are supposed to be? Just a stab in the dark, but a possible cause could be a short between the running light and break light circuits that kills the break and running lights as soon as power is applied to the running lights.

The only place I know for sure where both circuits are near each other is in the tail light wiring harnesses. Another place to check would be the trailer wiring harness if you have a tow hitch installed, a couple of the pins could be shorting together.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
lrivera1342
2000 WJ 

thanks i finally resolved my mystery brake light issue

i had an issue with both contacts points on each side, they appeared barley below the surface of the surrounding plastic and to boot some type of clear plastic slid in there which also hindered contact,
after bending the metal tab past the rest of the plastic and slowing turning the bulb till it rode over the tab ....presto both lights back on while the headlights are on again!!!

thanks again the all parties of the forum
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 07:23 PM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivera1342 View Post
thanks i finally resolved my mystery brake light issue

i had an issue with both contacts points on each side, they appeared barley below the surface of the surrounding plastic and to boot some type of clear plastic slid in there which also hindered contact,

after bending the metal tab past the rest of the plastic and slowing turning the bulb till it rode over the tab ....presto both lights back on while the headlights are on again!!!

thanks again the all parties of the forum

You're welcome!

That's what the forums are for.

Doug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.