Brake Jobs (No rotors) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Jobs (No rotors)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
thanser

Brake Jobs (No rotors)

When was the last time you had a brake job done and didn't have to replace the rotors?

I can't see the pads themselves within the calipers so how can you tell if you're in need of a brake job? I just picked up a used Grand Cherokee with 106k on it. After an initial inspection by the dealer there was no mention of the pads needing replaced. Everything's fine for now, but...

I'd like to have the pads replaced before they score the rotors and have to replace them.

So, a Jeep Grand Cherokee has a brake wear sensor? How accurate is it and how does it indicate your pads are worn?

Tired of spending too much on brake pads AND rotors.

Thanks.

thanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

What on earth are you talking about with the brake wear sensor? I think you might be thinking of a squeeler, the little piece of metal that attaches to the pads and will contact the rotors and make a hell of a noise when they are getting low.

Best and only good way to check in my opinion would be to just take wheels off and check by hand. You can look down through the top of the caliper and see the pads and how much material is left that way.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
losttech

2000 WJ 

Honestly basic rotors are cheap really no reason to not replace them if doing pads.
I think my duralast ones were like 16 each with lifetime warranty.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

^ +1. Remove wheel & inspect for yourself is best. AS OEM configured there is no squeal device that I'm aware of.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
logisticalstyle
1999 WJ 

I just realized how cheap rotors can be. I found them locally for 35.00 each. For some reason I was thinking they were going to be 70 or 80. I'll be replacing pads and rotors very soon.
logisticalstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Even if you don't have to replace the rotors due to them exceeding the minimum thickness spec, you should have them resurfaced whenever you change out the pads. How much life you get out a set of rotors and pads really depends on your driving habits, function of the rest of the brake system, pad compound and rotor quality.

While some vehicles use an actual brake pad wear sensor (a glorified magnet that gets placed in the pad and triggers a service light when the pads wear and the magnet gets closer to the rotor), WJ's do not have such a feature. Some aftermarket pads include a cruder version of this in the way of a small metal tab that is a attached to the side of the pad back plate and as the pad wears the tab will contact the rotor and make a squealing or squeaking sound when the brakes are applied.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Just buy new rotors, summit had Rabestos Pro rotors for 12.50 clearance, I grabbed a set for all my cars.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

^ Thanks for the heads up

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
JMZ101586
2004 WJ 

Links? I cant find them.
05 STS4 4.6 Northstar AWD
JMZ101586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

People have the warping problem on the front wheels. I have never had a rotor warp on my WJ and i have the crappy non-akebono calipers (their name escapes me at the moment) I think its because i do all small town and highway driving
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Robertc2012
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc0919mc View Post
People have the warping problem on the front wheels. I have never had a rotor warp on my WJ and i have the crappy non-akebono calipers (their name escapes me at the moment) I think its because i do all small town and highway driving
ATE = Al Teves
Robertc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc2012 View Post
ATE = Al Teves
That would be it Thanks!
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
thanser

Thanks, everyone.

I haven't done my own brake in over twenty years, so I take it in when I have to.
thanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanser View Post
Thanks, everyone.

I haven't done my own brake in over twenty years, so I take it in when I have to.
Disc and caliper are 100x easier than dealing with the drums, shoes, and springs that you are probably remember servicing.

Just make sure that the caliper pins are cleaned then greased when you do it. Otherwise they could cause the rotors to warp, overheat, or just plain mess stuff up if they don't move properly.

Regardless of whether or not you do them yourself. Make sure that those pins are lubed up in the front.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Jayybirdd
2004 WJ 

I need to do my brakes and rotors.
Isn't there a special kind that won't make awful noise when shifting gears?
I need to bleed my brakes too
Jayybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.