Brake Caliper Slide bolt Stuck - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Caliper Slide bolt Stuck

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 01-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
cj71210

Another thing that u can do if all else fails is drill a hole on the outside part of the caliper lining up were the slide Wld be and then punching it out with a hammer and then patch hole up when done iv just used rtv to plug the hole in the past. Does anything get what I'm trying to say haha

cj71210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

What kind of guide pin do I want? There's some oversized self tapping ones and then ones with a gold colored screw?

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have new drilled rotors,Hawks pads and new slide pins for sale. My cost was $265 will sell for $225.
brakes-001.jpg   brakes-002.jpg   brakes-003.jpg  

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Darnice
2004 WJ 

pins and boots every pad change is a good idea. If it seized that tight, replace the bracket too.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
SteveInChicago
2000 WJ 

The lower pins on both sides of my 2000 front calipers were seized. A pipe wrench, long cheater bar, PB blaster, some heat, lots of time working the problem eventually got them off. I'm amazed they didn't snap with the amount of torque I had to apply to them. Since I didn't have new pins on hand, I cleaned the corrosion off the old pins and reassembled with antiseize. Since then I've sourced new pins AND the rubber boots that keep water out. Now I have to go back in and do it all over to get the new pins in. I'm sure the lower holes are corroded as bad as the pins that came out so I want to clean them up back to original tolerances. Since the upper holes were fine, I'm going to use them to select a drill bit size that fits snugly (I have one of those drill bit kits that has more sizes than there are people in New York). Then I'll chase the lower holes with that bit to be sure the corrosion is removed and they are opened back up to the same size as the upper holes. When iron corrodes, it expands (making the hole smaller). I'm not drilling the holes bigger, just drilling out the corrosion so they are back to the original stock diameter. The antiseize will get flushed out with Brake Kleen and the new parts installed with the correct type of brake pin grease. I think the problem was caused by the rubber boots. They were deteriorated and letting water in.
SteveInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.