Brake Caliper Slide bolt Stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Caliper Slide bolt Stuck

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
dinovass

Brake Caliper Slide bolt Stuck

I have a 2001Grand Cherokee that recently started making horrible grinding noises from the drivers side wheel. It turns out the slide bolt got stuck partially extended and the brake pad started rubbing at an angle instead of flush with the rotor. One slide bolt works perfectly while the other one is stuck solid. Is there a good way to dislodge the bolt. I tried prying it out, twisting and resorted to a hammer with a blunt chisel. Nothing is working. Do I try hitting it harder or is there a correct way to remove it.
Thanks

dinovass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Heat, PB Blaster, and Vice Grips.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
dinovass

Thank you. Added hammer and chisel to your list and 2 hours later dislodged the bolt but destroyed the rubber boot in the process.
dinovass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

my remanned calipers did the same thing. i tried hitting it with a hammer, pliers, everything. i ended up just getting a new caliper and mounting bracket under warranty.

maybe clean them regularly with brake clean then re lube them. the rubber boots might be loose letting dirt and other contaminates in.
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
my remanned calipers did the same thing. i tried hitting it with a hammer, pliers, everything. i ended up just getting a new caliper and mounting bracket under warranty.

maybe clean them regularly with brake clean then re lube them. the rubber boots might be loose letting dirt and other contaminates in.
Thats the big thing. Everytime I remove a brake caliper, I pull the slide pins and cover them with anti-seize.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
djoy
1999 WJ 

not to hijack but I couldn't get the bolt that goes from bracket to knuckle off. Used heat and acetone/atf. I felt like I was going to shred the bolt so I gave up. This was with a nice big cheater bar.
djoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Iieyasu1
2001 WJ 

I couldnt get my bolts off either. PB, hammer and light tapping. Next up breaker bar and air gun. These bolts are comin off.
Iieyasu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
djoy
1999 WJ 

I finally got them off using a wrench and a 5lb hammer. It worked like a charm and since the wrench goes around the entire bolt nicely, they wont strip easily . Using an impact almost destroyed what was left and the wrench rescued them. But the first three blows the hammer did bounce as if it were a bungee.
djoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Augie56
1999 WJ 

Yep, the best way would be to use an impact with just enough air pressure to break them free, but thats about impossible with the clearance you have to work with.

In cases like this, I like to create my own impact with 1/2" six point sockets and my short handle 5lb sledge. Works every time.
Augie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
kastner03
2000 WJ 

anit-seize is a bad thing to use on the slide pins from what i was told by all the mechanics at a local garage, it will kinda dry up and collect dust. they make grease just for this purpose and it works really well since ive switched to using the grease ive never had any dirt build up in there or rusted/stuck guide pins, we service a fleet of about 15 plow trucks and every fall we used to always have stuck guide pins when wed service the trucks before winter, this year not a single one!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
ct-snoman
2003 WJ 

you want to use slide pin/brake lube. It is designed specifically for that purpose and, equally if not more important, is designed to withstand the heat that is generated by the brakes. Any other lubricant and you run the risk of bad things happening
ct-snoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Augie56
1999 WJ 

I use white lithium on all the pad contact points and the slide pins. So far, so good...
Augie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
teamodave
2004 WJ 

I just did the front brakes on my 2004 Grand Cherokee and each side had one slide pin that did not want to budge. I wasted a good hour trying to get the first one off when I finally mounted the bracket back on the knuckle and used a pipe wrench and a cheater bar to break it loose. Once loose, I hit it with Liquid Wrench, and more twisting with the pipe wrench. When I had enough room to not ruin the rubber boot, I used channel locks to keep turning it. Then I'd used a flat chisel and mini sledge hammer. Eventually it broke loose. The second one was just as seized but I got it at last. All in all, it ended up being a 5 hour job but I was glad I stuck with it as I didn't have a back up car to get to work on Monday.
teamodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Would one suggest getting extra slide pins before they change their brakes? Im about to do them and I want to have everything in case I run into problems.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
teamodave
2004 WJ 

I did and I'm very glad I did. Might not hurt to get the boots along with them, but I got lucky and didn't need them. Make sure you have some good brake grease and some anti-seize compound too.
teamodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.