bought a jeep now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bought a jeep now what?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

bought a jeep now what?

Ok so I finally got the jeep I been wanting for forever now... I know I love being off road and jeeps... but thats pretty much the extent of my knowledge of the off road aspect of vehicles... so if someone could help me with where to best start that be awesome

droptopanstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Sorry forgot to say its a 99 grand Cherokee
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Drive to a trailhead. Turn in. Continue. Smile, return, gas up. Repeat.

There are thousands of pages of ideas on updating your Jeep, but the first thing to do is to enjoy it. Better if you make your first off-road forays part of a group effort, hopefully with some folks with experience in such nonsense (since that will normally mean they carry the types of tools and recovery equipment to help get you out of at least a minor jam). As you use your Jeep more off-road, you'll develop a sense of what it might need (if anything!) to meet your mission statement.

And be realistic - I've seen lots of high-dollar, impressively equipped "off-road rigs" around here with nary a scratch or mud splatter, which means they never see trails. Ever. My own modifications (3" lift, 31" tires, sway bar disconnects) have been modest, but allowed me to go anywhere I've tried to go, but don't diminish the vehicle's ability to be a grocery getter or even highway star (with plenty of 3,000 mile trips back and forth to our son's place in Texas).

Oh, and get on the right forum. Calling a Grand Cherokee (particularly a '99 and up!) a "Cherokee" is a lot like calling an Audi a Volkswagen (or vice versa, depending on your views on the two, both of which I've owned).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Skid plates, tow/recovery points, lockers, tires/lift kit...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Talk to your fellow WJ drivers, you're following a trail they've already ridden.
I've moved your thread over to the section of the forum where they call home here. Good luck with the jeep.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Bam-Bam
2000 WJ 

Habbyguy is right, test it out stock, have some fun!! These Jeeps are pretty capable stock, I've been running mine stock, I think the first thing I want is a bit of lift and some better tires!!!!
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
new2site
2002 WJ 

"bought a jeep now what?"

Go buy a fan relay switch replacement, a CPS replacement and the drivers side window regulator replacement..

Sorry ...couldn't help that... enjoy it!
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

This is a very Good place to start learning,
Also check out wjjeeps.com for great amount of useful info.
If need parts contact Kolak a vendor here at JF, he will hook you up with the best parts and prices. Kolak@aol.com
Thumbsup for getting a Jeep
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
Drive to a trailhead. Turn in. Continue. Smile, return, gas up. Repeat.

There are thousands of pages of ideas on updating your Jeep, but the first thing to do is to enjoy it. Better if you make your first off-road forays part of a group effort, hopefully with some folks with experience in such nonsense (since that will normally mean they carry the types of tools and recovery equipment to help get you out of at least a minor jam). As you use your Jeep more off-road, you'll develop a sense of what it might need (if anything!) to meet your mission statement.

And be realistic - I've seen lots of high-dollar, impressively equipped "off-road rigs" around here with nary a scratch or mud splatter, which means they never see trails. Ever. My own modifications (3" lift, 31" tires, sway bar disconnects) have been modest, but allowed me to go anywhere I've tried to go, but don't diminish the vehicle's ability to be a grocery getter or even highway star (with plenty of 3,000 mile trips back and forth to our son's place in Texas).

Oh, and get on the right forum. Calling a Grand Cherokee (particularly a '99 and up!) a "Cherokee" is a lot like calling an Audi a Volkswagen (or vice versa, depending on your views on the two, both of which I've owned).
No love for the WJ's?
He's right, though. Start by checking out your local scene and work from there up. Good luck.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Thank you everyone. You guys answered the rest of the questions I had before I could even ask them! HABBYGUY LOL
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
WJ4x4LIFE

I do not mean to be a stickler for the important details, to start off. Underneath your profile's name, I would suggest you update that V6 to a I6, thank you. Glad to have you aboard!
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
droptopanstop
1999 WJ 

Good call dumb mistake thanks tho, ₩j4×4life
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, I do love WJs... heck, I even had a black '99 for years. It's just that it's SO different than an XJ, where the ZJ at least looks like it's related.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
radoboy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
... Calling a grand cherokee (particularly a '99 and up!) a "cherokee" is a lot like calling an audi a volkswagen (or vice versa, depending on your views on the two, both of which i've owned).
2000 Audi S4, 2013 Audi A3 TDI, 1990 Corrado 16vT, 1993 Corrado VR6
radoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
akinshake
1999 WJ 

First thing I did was wheeled it through some thick areas down here in Florida. From there I new I needed a lift and bigger tires. For now I went with a BB because its cheap and gave me the clearance I needed... For now. And I would have to say new hood struts were probably my first purchase, well worth the 30 from rockauto.com. Changing all the fluids would also be a good start, even if they claim the oil had just been changed. Keep us updated. Love to see where you take it from here.

Here was mine bone stock and after only about 700 bucks.
image-1653710488.jpg

image-2387648638.jpg

image-1559038562.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.