Body roll after lift??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Body roll after lift???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
thatguytrav
2001 WJ 

Body roll after lift???

So I've done a little overhauling over the past two weeks. First, we got a Limited on our lot and it had the Upcountry package so I took the hooks and engine skid and put it on mine. Then I swapped my springs/shocks onto that wj and installed a 2" BB with the Upcountry springs, 3" extended rear sway bar links and Bilstein 5100's that I got from Kolak. I also swapped the 255/70/16 Goodyear Wranglers that were on that same wj

Lastly, I turned my front rotors and swapped the almost brand new rear rotors of the other wj and put EBC Green Stuff front pads on.

Now before I did all this, both jeeps drove fine and only had the "stock" body roll. I could drive it like I stole it with no worries. But after putting the lift on, it fells like I could easily flip this thing swerving out of the way for something. I double-checked all bolts and no bushings look really worn. I know I could change the rear sway bar to help but I was just wondering if the body roll could be caused by something else?

Here is how she looks now

jeep-17may2011.jpg

95 XJ 2-dr 4.0HO (SOLD) - 4.5 RE Lift, 32X11.50 Goodyear MTR's, JCR Bumpers/sliders
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

are your sway bars connected?

the WJs just have a bit of body roll when you lift em, you will learn to deal with it. stiffer shocks will help some too.
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
orb
2003 WJ 

I've felt the same thing since putting on my OME springs, nothing terrible but I do notice it. I'm thinking about getting the rear addco sway bar to see if that helps but that is probably a few months out if at all. Anyone have thoughts/experience on that?
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
CantFocus
2003 WJ 

Havent lifted mine yet, but common sense would tell me no **** you will have more body roll after a lift. You raised the center of gravity on the vehicle. I would think larger sway bars would fix the issue to a point.
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
4Tom
2001 WJ 

My rear sway bar bushing where worn.
Replaced them with Polyurethane Bushings kit.
The rear end is now planted on the road.
Didn't take that long to do and the kit of sway bar and drop link bushes is 25 us $.

Can only guess if you get the upgrade thicker sway bar it be better again.

Tom
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
thatguytrav
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
are your sway bars connected?

the WJs just have a bit of body roll when you lift em, you will learn to deal with it. stiffer shocks will help some too.
Front and rear sway bars are connected. This is my 4th lifted vehicle and none have had this much body roll. I plan on getting the rear Addco sway bar but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't out of the norm. I just got new Bilstein 5100's that Kolak suggested so I wouldn't think it was the shocks.

95 XJ 2-dr 4.0HO (SOLD) - 4.5 RE Lift, 32X11.50 Goodyear MTR's, JCR Bumpers/sliders
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
thatguytrav
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantFocus View Post
Havent lifted mine yet, but common sense would tell me no **** you will have more body roll after a lift. You raised the center of gravity on the vehicle. I would think larger sway bars would fix the issue to a point.
Like I mentioned to the other guy, this is my 4th lifted vehicle and none have had this much body roll. I completely understand COG and how lifting a vehicle affects it but I mean it seriously feels like I would roll it if I had to swerve out of the way of anything.

Unread 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well you now have higher COG and a heavier body (thanks to skid plates and tow hooks) without increasing spring rate at all. Coil springs tend to have more travel than leaf springs and that might account for some of your feelings of stability in other lifted vehicles.

Tow hooks and skid plates are not indicative of the Upcountry package - they were available separately and you may not have the Upcountry springs....but it's nice to know that car dealers rape the vehicles that come on their lot so the next owner gets to deal with not having the OE equipment.

To be honest, lifting mine reduced body roll because the spring lift I chose had significantly higher spring rate than stock. I would definitely recommend replacing sway bar bushings and end links (front) since these often wear and "look" fine but then deform considerably under load.
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
.but it's nice to know that car dealers rape the vehicles that come on their lot so the next owner gets to deal with not having the OE equipment.
^^ This is why you should always run the vin to see what equipment came with the vehicle from the factory. Used car dealers arent just sleazy, they're also thieves. Not only do they try to rape you on the cost of a used vehicle and the trade in value of a vehicle, but they will also steal parts from vehicles they havent sold with no intention of tell the person who ends up buying it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
thatguytrav
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Well you now have higher COG and a heavier body (thanks to skid plates and tow hooks) without increasing spring rate at all. Coil springs tend to have more travel than leaf springs and that might account for some of your feelings of stability in other lifted vehicles.
This makes sense b/c the 3 other vehicles had leaf springs in the rear. Thanks!

Unread 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
thatguytrav
2001 WJ 

Quote:
...but it's nice to know that car dealers rape the vehicles that come on their lot so the next owner gets to deal with not having the OE equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
^^ This is why you should always run the vin to see what equipment came with the vehicle from the factory. Used car dealers arent just sleazy, they're also thieves. Not only do they try to rape you on the cost of a used vehicle and the trade in value of a vehicle, but they will also steal parts from vehicles they havent sold with no intention of tell the person who ends up buying it.
Lol, you guys act like we steal vital parts off every car and don't replace them. My spring/shock/tire combo was a much better ride, had better tread, and the rims on my jeep were nearly perfect and include a matching spare. The ones I swapped are VERY scratched up and did not include a matching spare nor was it even the correct rim size. My entire inventory is used with most over 100k miles and 95% of the time, I have to ADD parts to each car that comes in. POs will keep jacks, spare tires, rims, anything of value to a scrap yard or other people. Keeping safety equipment just to make a few bucks is pretty "sleazy" to me too but I see it every day.

As far as pricing, you can come to my lot and see for yourself, I have everything priced with a VERY minimal markup and that's only b/c people would rather feel like they got a deal by "talking me down" than to actually get a car for what is worth. I don't have the jeep priced as including the Upcountry package so what's the difference? All my prices are posted on the windshield with the equipment that it CURRENTLY has on the vehicle.

ezflip, I'm not sure if you know what trade-in value really is. Trade in value is what a used car dealer can go to an auction and pick up that exact same car for. So what you consider "rape", we consider a smart business move. Why would I give you thousands more for your trade when I can go to the auction and get the same car for less? It's the same thing you would do in our shoes. And just so you know, 75% of my business is return customers or word of mouth from previous customers. If I was "screwing" people like the way you are judging me, I doubt we would have been successfully in business for over 22 years now. I know there are A LOT of used car dealers out there that screw people over daily so I can understand the judgement but just b/c I took 3 tow hooks and an engine skid off a wj when 95% of my customers won't even use the 4wd, that makes me a bad person? Oh well then, guess I'm a bad person

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
nickc50310

I have an 03 Overland with UC suspension and 2" BB. My body roll and stability were pretty bad until I replaced the rear sway bar bushings.
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
NorCOWJ
2004 WJ 

if you think its bad at your height try 5" with no rear sway. its fun scaring the hell out of passengers, you just adapt and drive slower, ease into turns. eventually youll get used to it
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguytrav View Post
As far as pricing, you can come to my lot and see for yourself, I have everything priced with a VERY minimal markup and that's only b/c people would rather feel like they got a deal by "talking me down" than to actually get a car for what is worth. I don't have the jeep priced as including the Upcountry package so what's the difference? All my prices are posted on the windshield with the equipment that it CURRENTLY has on the vehicle.
That's what they all say
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.