Is a blown head gasket fatal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is a blown head gasket fatal?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Is a blown head gasket fatal?

I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 and have a cracked head gasket. I leaked tons of coolant into the oil and had it replaced and sealant added, which seems to have done the trick. I was told that because I ran it with coolant in the oil, it would delubricate the parts and eventually cause my engine to break. Am I driving a ticking time bomb or am I safe. Thanks

DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

It should be fine as long as you got it changed and it still runs the same.
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Coolant contamination does slowly eat at the bearings. Not critical if you get it fixed soon... but not something you can just ignore.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

I would do another oil change or two after 1000 miles to try and get every bit of the coolant particles out of the lubrication system.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
nickblack
1999 WJ 

X2, I would do an oil change every 500 miles for the next 5 oil changes.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
nitromud
2003 WJ 

It really depends on how long you drove it with coolant in the oil. The shorter time the better. If it ran a long time with coolant in the oil, you really want to do a bearing job soon.
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
BigBird88
2000 WJ 

There are lots of cars on the road that have had their head gasket(s) replaced. You should be fine, take the advice already given to you and keep that oil changed. But do have your heads checked out by a good engine shop before you put them back on. Something caused your head gasket to fail. You need to fix THAT to prevent THIS from happening again.

Sorry didn't read it well enough I guess. You have already had it replaced but what do you mean by sealant added? I hope you don't mean like that block repair crap because that stuff is horrible on your cooling system.

Last edited by BigBird88; 12-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Not retaining what I read....
BigBird88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird88
There are lots of cars on the road that have had their head gasket(s) replaced. You should be fine, take the advice already given to you and keep that oil changed. But do have your heads checked out by a good engine shop before you put them back on. Something caused your head gasket to fail. You need to fix THAT to prevent THIS from happening again.

Sorry didn't read it well enough I guess. You have already had it replaced but what do you mean by sealant added? I hope you don't mean like that block repair crap because that stuff is horrible on your cooling system.
I know what caused it. My relay switch went bad, causing my radiator fan to not work, engine overheated. And the repair shop put a liquid that goes into the gasket, and hardens up to fill the crack. I hope this isn't bad for the rest of the car but it doesn't leak antifreeze into the oil anymore. And the head gasket itself has not been replaced as I don't have the money to do so. But how often should I change my oil now?
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.