blown head gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > blown head gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
jmccallie99wj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

blown head gasket

Long story short, I was having problems... when I went to change my oil, I had coolant in my oil. So blown head gasket, right? Is this something I could do myself? Also is there a lower and upper head gasket? And should I replace both? Also another option is I found another 99 limited that got rearended. It has 85k on the motor, id get the entire jeep for 1300. My question is what would you guys do? Tackle the head gaskets, with other possible problems. Buy the other wj and swap motors part out the rest and scrap the body...

Im somewhat mechanically inclined but have heard doin the head gaskets can be a pain...

jmccallie99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
jmccallie99wj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody?
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

there is just one head gasket, between the head and the engine block. I'm assuming you're thinking of a dirtbike engine where the head separates from the cylinder and then the cylinder can separate from the block.

I've never replaced one on a jeep but I would think it would be significantly easier to replace the gasket than to swap engines and have to deal with a parts truck, but that all depends on how much room you have.

Also when you replace the HG make sure to have the head(s) resurfaced at a machine shop.
Is this the 4.7 or the 4L?
AsphaltCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
jmccallie99wj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy View Post
there is just one head gasket, between the head and the engine block. I'm assuming you're thinking of a dirtbike engine where the head separates from the cylinder and then the cylinder can separate from the block.

I've never replaced one on a jeep but I would think it would be significantly easier to replace the gasket than to swap engines and have to deal with a parts truck, but that all depends on how much room you have.

Also when you replace the HG make sure to have the head(s) resurfaced at a machine shop.
Is this the 4.7 or the 4L?
4.7, I don't know how true this is but someone said that ill have to redo my timing and mess with the cams and a bunch of other crap... and that the exhaust manifold bolts will prolly all break. I guess just trying to figure out how difficult replacing the HG will actually be? My origional motor has 180 k on it so im also afraid I could have other problems due to the bad HG...
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
yj98joe
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the head gaskets, way easier than an engine. It won't effect the timing if you don't turn the engine over while apart.
I just did a set on my brothers Chevy pu. Wasn't that bad. 2 afternoons.

Wait....... Is this engine overhead cam ? It's still easier than an engine
yj98joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
AsphaltCowboy
2003 WJ 

yes they're SOHC
AsphaltCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

yeah, overhead cams. Head gasket isn't terrible, just time consuming, but you better make sure you don't have a cracked head, 4.7 is almost as prone to it as it is a head gasket.

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
sherker55
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolts on the exhaust manifolds, you can just hit them with some pb blaster the day before, and then torch them when you take them off. A buddy helped me replace mine when I had a stud/bolt bust off, and the torch heated it right up, and made it super easy to unscrew...

as far a a swap or a HG change, I would lean towards changing the HG, but with all that milage, I mean you have a 100k more than the rear ended one. like said before, depends on how much room you have to work with in your garage or where ever. start with yours, and see if there are any other problems that you uncover once you remove the heads.

while you have it apart can I suggest putting in the H.O. cams (rockers and springs too)....might as well, unless you don't like an extra 20 hp & 20 tq....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMcD View Post
She said call her when your over 4"
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Jeepdude22
2004 WJ 

i just got done replacing my head gasket on my 04 4.7. I did it myself (and the help of my brother) but it was fairly simple to do once you get everything out of the way. I ended up taking off the front bumper, grill, EVERYTHING! and it was very simple to do. 185 for the entire gasket set, 120 to get the heads cleaned, and milled. The Owner before me obviously took them apart and left huge scrape marks in the heads which caused the problem in the first place.
Jeepdude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

I'd try to fix what you have and buy the wrecked jeep and part it out. Milage is just that, yours could be clean and problem free where as the one you found could be neglected and wore out. Does yours seem tired, knocking, smoking?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
TOW_HOOK
1957 CJ3B 

Wj

if it's a 4.7 put some time aside, it took me a weekend just to get the heads off. and 2 trys to find the old chains had streched, and the timing was off 1 tooth or less !! total time down was 3 months ! it can be done, know what your getting into. take your time, and have only trusted friends help you. i'm not sure i'd do it again... but it might go faster, now that i have done it 3 times.. lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.