blown 4.7 engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > blown 4.7 engine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
kubbie
2002 WJ 

blown 4.7 engine

So I destroyed the engine in my wj. I'm debating onwhat the best option is to replace it. Should I go to the junk yard and get a low mileage engine. Should I look at jasper engines or another type of crate motor.

kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbie
So I destroyed the engine in my wj. I'm debating onwhat the best option is to replace it. Should I go to the junk yard and get a low mileage engine. Should I look at jasper engines or another type of crate motor.
Reman.. If you plan on keeping it. The used motor at the junkyard will cost you almost as much and not offer the warranty that the reman does. With a used motor you really have no idea how well it was maintained. As long as you go with a reman from a reputable company you will be happier 2-3 years later.

I faced the same question myself and installed a reman (a 4.0 i6 from Grooms engines) after looking at all my options.

www.groomsengines.com
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Crate motor for a 2002 wouldn't justify the cost for me. I would go with a low mileage junk yard engine.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Jasper warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ
Crate motor for a 2002 wouldn't justify the cost for me. I would go with a low mileage junk yard engine.
That low mileage junk yard engine will probably cost you close to 2k without install. For me it was only a $400 difference.. Installation cost was about the same between the two options. I think I had about $3600 in it by the time I was done with it and now have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the motor (and I know that it has been maintained well Because I have owned it).
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

The problem that I have with remanufactured engines is the fact that the engines are rebuilt with the cheapest of everything. As for the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, it sounds great until you try to make a claim. Hope you haven't been doing your own oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
That low mileage junk yard engine will probably cost you close to 2k without install. For me it was only a $400 difference.. Installation cost was about the same between the two options. I think I had about $3600 in it by the time I was done with it and now have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the motor (and I know that it has been maintained well Because I have owned it).
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ
The problem that I have with remanufactured engines is the fact that the engines are rebuilt with the cheapest of everything. As for the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, it sounds great until you try to make a claim. Hope you haven't been doing your own oil changes.
Work with a well known and established local installer that also sells them. My installer just told me to keep the receipts and that they would assist if needed. He has lots of customers that change their own oil and in the few issues that they have had with these engines Grooms has taken care of them.

I heard that about Jasper too.. That is why I didn't go with them. A simple Google search for comments on these companies will show you the number of complaints out there. At the time, Grooms is one of the largest suppliers and negative comments were minimal.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I know nothing about Grooms. Dealing with Jasper is nothing but a nightmare. I'm sure that Jasper means evil in some language. LOL
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Kutty
2004 WJ 

Clicked on this thread expecting to see a supercharger :/
Kutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Install a supercharger on a 4.7 and the outcome should be about the same. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutty View Post
Clicked on this thread expecting to see a supercharger :/
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
kubbie
2002 WJ 

I wish I could put a super charger in. But thanks for the tips. I think I have a lot more research to do. If I go the junk yard route my buddy would install and I would. Or my family friend own a garage and is a dealer for jasper so I sous find out what he woke charge me.
kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbie
I wish I could put a super charger in. But thanks for the tips. I think I have a lot more research to do. If I go the junk yard route my buddy would install and I would. Or my family friend own a garage and is a dealer for jasper so I sous find out what he woke charge me.
Sounds like a plan.. Good luck. Report back what you find/decide.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In my area, its around $1,500 for a junkyard 4.7 and they usually have high miles.

I'd never spend that much on a used 4.7 with high miles.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In my area the 4.7 out of a wreck pulls a premium price. Usually above 2000.

My friend that builds engines says the parts are expensive and it costs 2700 to rebuild one with all new parts.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
Skater041930
2001 WJ 

Sent ya a pm, I'm local to you in Cheektowaga & hydrolocked my 4.7 and went the 'rebuilt' route with good results. Gave you an Idea and review if you decide to not do it your self...
Skater041930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.