Blower Motor Resistor Repair Write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blower Motor Resistor Repair Write-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
BigRedKM

Blower Motor Resistor Repair Write-up

Hey guys. Well after numerous times of asking my passenger to "Jiggle those wires down there" I finally fix the blower motor resistor.

It starts off like this.

1. Located the blower motor resistor and determine if that is infact the problem. It will normally look like this.

If you take the resistor apart, it will be similar to this

2. You can start by unplugging the plug on the blower motor. And then unplug the wire that is actually melted/burnt. This may take some effort, and it some cases is impossible, so you may just want to cut the plug off of the wires, in this case, cut up far enough past the burnt part on the wires to save you some time. And then unscrew the old resistor that is held by 2 Phillips screws. At this point, it should be hanging freely. You may have to lead the blower motor power plug around the HVAC box so that it is free.

This picture here gives you an idea of the power plug and how it is routed.

Heres the plug after its cut off

And the hole where the resistor should be!

4w you can start by screwing the adapter plate onto the newer updated blower motor resistor! Also take a look at the way your old vs new release heat.

Old vs New

4. Now reroute the power plug and plug that back in. Next install the new resistor by putting in the screws.

5. You may want to do this before step 4, but its all personal preferance. Strip each end of the wires and connect them to the wires that you cut the old plug off of. There should be (6) That you need to do this too. It would be best if you solder/heat wrap them. But you can also use crush connectors too.

Then test to see if it works!

Notes; Your wire that is used to connect the resistor to the blower motor may be backwards from the factory. Meaning that you may have the switch the wires around in the plug. Its very easy to do. Just pop out the blue locking thing with a flat head screw driver, then carefully pry the black "legs" that hold the wires in place and push down on the wire inside the plug.

Please excuse the burnhole on my floor. That is what happens when you leave this problem go for too long, it heats up so much, melts the plastic, and catches the whole underside of the HVAC box on fire. The P/O did not care to show me this, nor did he tell me. This would be the second time that I had to mess with the HVAC box. IMO Mopar did a horrible job with this HVAC system.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Total cost of about 100$
Kolak sells the whole kit and I would absolutly reccomend buying this from him! He is a great seller and is very very helpfull in any questions you may have.

Also, I have no carpet because I unfortunatly went through a mud hole that I didnt know how deep it was, So its getting shampooed right now.

^^ Was actually deeper then in the picture. There I was stuck and my buddies got out and were laughing at me. It was deep enough I got water into my airbox, I dont know how I didnt kill my motor.

BigRedKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
NewYorkWJ
2002 WJ 

LMAO I'm usually like "hey can u just kick under my dash?" That usually 'kicks' the ac on. GET IT?

Thank you so much for this write up, though!
Stock
NewYorkWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Nice Write-up, thank you. You should submit this to the WJ FAQ sticky!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
HighOutput
2003 WJ 

Cheers for the info on flipping the wires. I purchased the same kit for my Australian 03 GC 4.7 HO and also had to flip the wires, all works like new.
HighOutput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
rayzrsharp

SWEET JESUS - MY HEAT WORKS!!!! Hey man thanks for the detailed instructions. Your a savior man. It's 7* in Chicago and the heat in my 02 GC LTD wasn't working. Lo n' behold - the exact same issue down to the melted connector and burnt terminal. Also, your pic of the 2cable connector connected to the blower was a God send as I couldn't find where it was connected - until I saw your post. Hey man Thanks again!
rayzrsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
markj11B
2001 WJ 

Wj Same thing

hey man i am literally in the process of doing this same thing, only problem i am having i getting the new resistor back into the same spot as the old. Also when i got it up there the air was coming right out from the resistor spot. So i got my blower working it just not coming from the vents. Is it because the part is not fully installed back into proper position or are my blender doors ****ed? any suggestions or comments would be awesome
markj11B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
optvid

HELP!!! I changed the resister pack following the directions above. Before my blower worked intermittently now that I have changed it it wont work at all
optvid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
kmcnulty79
2003 WJ 

same thing happened to me it seems to really on blow on high and not very much air flow on high either... any suggestions?
kmcnulty79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
sbsshadow
2001 WJ 

changed my resistor last night , works lovely now , but definitely need the blender doors now lol , lots of noise, not much air , but it clears the front window , im one step closer ,..................
sbsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
kjjames1
2000 WJ 

Great write-up

Well done with the pics! Heat blowing again in the subzero weather - much happier now driving the WJ again!
kjjames1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Hotshot_jh
2002 WJ 

I'm not getting much airflow either. Which wires need to be switched?
Hotshot_jh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
01Sport
2002 WJ 

The wires going to the motor from the resistor, not the wires to the power.

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Hotshot_jh
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Sport View Post
The wires going to the motor from the resistor, not the wires to the power.
Figured it out. Was looking at the wrong connector. Thanks.
Hotshot_jh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Howling1
2001 WJ 

Just switched mine tonight on the new blower resistor kit. Much better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Howling1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
swolford
2003 FSJ Cherokee 

Wire Swap - Is it the green and black wires to swap in image Old vs New in the post.
swolford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.