Blend door issue but not door, actuator or control panel. What else could it be? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blend door issue but not door, actuator or control panel. What else could it be?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
TGMInd

Blend door issue but not door, actuator or control panel. What else could it be?

Thanks for viewing my post. I have a 99JGC with dual zone climate control. Replaced the evaporator last summer (what a job) and recently I noticed the passenger side will not blow heat. I cut an access hole in the box so I can see the blend doors. I have eliminated the actuator and door because I applied power and can see the door fully open and close. I also swapped the control unit (where you adjust the temp) with my 04 JGC and both still work as they did. So the problem is between the control unit and the blend door actuator. any ideas? Other factors are that when adjusting the temp the passenger side has always been kinda a hassle. It would either not adjust or it would adust on its own when I move the drivers side. I have also seen codes 46 52 and 56.
Thanks for any help.
Kyle

TGMInd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

46: AI (Recirc) motor was not responding
52: AI (Recirc) door travel range too large
56: Right temperature door travel too large

Looks like your motor may be bad. But your recirc door and pass side need to be replaced. Tabs are more than likely broken.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
TGMInd

Yeah the doors may be broken but for the time being I am mostly insterested in fixing the communication between the control unit and the blend door actuator. I have tested both the control unit (where you change temp) and the blend door motor/actuator. Both are working fine. The problem is somewhere in-between. ECU Maybe?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure the blend doors are working properly?

Even if the motor/actuator is still turning the doors it does not necessarily mean they are working right.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
TGMInd

the way I tested it was to hook wires to the blend door actuator on the back side (hard one) of the heater box the applied power while looking through a hole I cut in the box so I can see the actual blend door moving up and down. It does work and I can change the temp from hot to cold.
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That just tests the actuator which is very rarely the problem.

Since the actuator and the controls are both working, the problem must be the blend door assembly.
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
TGMInd

Im confused or maybe Im not being clear enough. I can see the actual Blend door inside the heater box moving up and down when I apply power to the actuator. It also changes the air flowing out from hot to cold when I do it. Is there something I am missing that suggests it is still broken? Sorry for being difficult but to me it really seems like the actuator and door are working but that it is not getting the correct signal to open or close. Thanks for all the posts I am really at a loss.

P.S. When I replaced the evaporater last summer I checked both blend doors carefully and was very carefull of them when putting it back together.
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When you are watching the blend doors, how can you be sure they are moving through the correct range? In other words, are you sure the doors are fully opening and closing?

I've done the blend door repair myself on my WJ, but I'm not sure if I would be able to identify a bad blend door assembly by doing the same thing you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMInd
... It also changes the air flowing out from hot to cold when I do it....
Is it changing the temp on the passenger side?

Maybe I'm confused, but in your first post you said the passenger side will not blow heat.
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
TGMInd

Yes the original problem was that the passenger side would not blow heat so I began to diagnose by swapping the control module and testing the blend door actuator. I was able to move the blend door and get heat now by hooking the blend door actuator up to direct power. I can see the door moving because I cut a big hole in the side of the box behind the glove compartment which allows me to look in and see the movement of both doors.

So what Im trying to figure out is what is between the control module and the blend door actuator that could be causing the problem. When I turn the passenger side knob to hi the signal from the control unit never makes it to the actuator. It just stays in the cold position.

Thanks for any help.
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
92wrangler

i am having this same problem and replaced all the motors and blend doors i have not replaced the control module yet that is my next step. Did you ever fix this problem and if you did what did you do to fix it thanks

Jason

1997 camaro Z28 Fully forged 355, Stage 3 heads, Gm847 cam, Nitrous,

http://community.webshots.com/user/jc998
92wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
TGMInd

The problem was the blend door issue the entire time. Its been so long I dont remember exactly how it fooled me but everyone was telling me its a blend door. I tried to use logic and that just wasted a bunch of my time :-) I ended up buying the repair kit off ebay. Its a good fix, a lot less work and much cheaper.
Unread 01-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
92wrangler

yea mine works fine everytime you recalibrate the system for about 3 key cycles then fails again. I picked up a new control head and i'm going to try and see if that will do anything if not its up for sale cheap lol

1997 camaro Z28 Fully forged 355, Stage 3 heads, Gm847 cam, Nitrous,

http://community.webshots.com/user/jc998
92wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
bbstokes

TGMInd - Im having the same issue. 2000JGC Ltd with dual climate control. The only code Im getting is 56 (56 = Right temperature door travel too large). What repair kit did you buy? Heatertreater? Do you still have fully functioning dual climate controls? Not a big deal as long as the heat works.

I think I also have an issue with my infrared sensors. Before my passenger blend door broke and the jeep was warmed up during the winter (running for at least 20-30 minutes) it would be blowing hot air for 30 minutes or so and then switch to blowing cold. I would have to turn the dials to 80+ degrees to even get luke warm air.

Now that my blend door is broken, I have my passenger vents taped up, and the drivers side heat jacked up to 80 anyway.

Id appreciate any suggestions on the blend door kit for passenger side only, or the sensors. Thanks
bbstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Falkon
2004 WJ 

This describes the problem pretty well...

WJJeeps.com - HVAC sub assembly replacement

Here's the fix using Heater Treater's cheaper method...

Blend doors fixed with the HeaterTreater*Pics and write-up* - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

Web site for Heater Treater...

Auto replacement part, blend door fix, Heat, AC replacement parts
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
pottieman
2002 WJ 

I have a similar problem. last month replaced broken blend doors and recirc door. with new dorman units. worked till friday. My heat quit working on the driver side and blows cold air. checked codes 52 54 56. pulled box again only to find doors are OK. Tested motors both directions with 12 volts. all operate. Put it back together. no codes calibrated. now passenger side blows cold air. codes 22 52 56. Drivers side works. im leaning towards motors, Any thoughts
pottieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.