Bleeding brake ABS - yea or nay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bleeding brake ABS - yea or nay

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft ShacklesNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 02-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
GhostriderTx
1999 WJ 

Bleeding brake ABS - yea or nay

My recently acquired 1999 WJ may have had the brake fluid changed once in 15 years... I did the Motive pressure bleeder and the fluid was as nasty as anything I have seen. While I have fresh fluid in the system I am concerned about the ABS portion that I cannot do. I know that a lot of ABS issues are caused by contamination and the old fluid was just bad. Is this worth taking to dealer to get them to use the tool to purge the ABS or am I just paranoid?

GhostriderTx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Unless you have the ABS light on or are having brake problems soft pedal etc I would not sweat it.
You did say you changed the fluid out right if so your good to go in my opinion.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Paranoid.
Unread 02-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
GhostriderTx
1999 WJ 

Does the fluid in the ABS stuff get circulated back into the other stuff. If so I could do another change in a few weeks.
GhostriderTx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
My_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostriderTx View Post
Does the fluid in the ABS stuff get circulated back into the other stuff. If so I could do another change in a few weeks.
You could find some mud or sand and do some sliding stops. From what I understand activating the ABS will circulate the fluid.

I'm in Texas too so I wont even recommend trying to find ice
14 WK2 Limited 3.6
My_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.