Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #31
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmo23
tuglife - in case you missed my post.
Awesome thanks. My questions usually get answered while typing my long winded posts.

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
I used the gatlings on my ZJ retrofit. I used the E86's I think it is (?). Been awhile since I did them. Just had to do some trimming for fitment, but depth wise they were fine. Once you get the projector in, you'll be able to figure out how much you'll have to cut for it to fit properly.

Well, going with LED's there should be no problem with light output using 5050 SMD's. Do it in strips, or panels will be plenty seen. This will allow you to totally blackout the reflector. Sand, prime, paint it black.

Mount them in place while you have the lenses open. Put in a strip or panel to replace each bulb. Run the wires out of the respective hole in the back. The way I'd wire it is get a small connector. Solder one end to the wires, solder the other to the socket. This will allow you to plug/unplug them if you ever need to remove the headlight. put the connector inside, put the socket in as normal to seal from water getting in. You'll just have to figure out how to mount the LED's is all once you know what type you'll be using.
I see what you're saying. A panel of LEDs like JCdubya (sp?) did in his retrofit he had for sale for quite a while. Honestly I think that's beyond my skill and finger thinness level. I was thinking more along these lines. How do you think that would work with dark tinted reflectors surrounding it but clear lens in front? 45 LEDs with dual intensity should be like the sun compared to the stock 3157 incandescents.
image-1702037750.jpg

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #33
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, the way the theory works, is you have no reflecting surface. LED's facing out as well, it's not needed at all. Using that bulb maybe not work properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-12-LED-Pa...168398&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-30CM-1210-...53cd0e&vxp=mtr

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #34
tuglife
2004 WJ 

I understand what you're getting at. The only issues I have are that those type or system of LEDs would have to be custom wired, which I am not very experienced at, and fairly irreversible as I'd have to cut/alter the jeep wiring to power them. The main issue for me is they will have to be custom mounted somehow, inside the headlight while it is open then sealed inside with only the wiring hanging out. If I ever need to replace or change anything I'll have to bake the headlights open again (most likely destroying any still functioning LEDs) and replace everything including wiring and mounting. With the above type of bulb it plugs into the factory 3157 or 194 socket wiring just like a standard bulb. I can take it out if it burns out or even replace it with a standard incandescent if I need to. Or change my headlights back to stock if I wanna sell it. I think I'll try one of these high powered LEDs but I'm starting to believe that even the incandescent bulb will be plenty bright if I'm not tinting the lens in any way. In fact switching to an Orange bulb and removing the orange lens leaving just a clear lens front will likely be brighter than it was originally as there is less to diffuse the light as it leaves the headlight housing.
timthumb.jpg

Unread 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #35
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ View Post
FWIW, your link is for federal guidelines for commercial vehicles...
I would say it's worth quite a bit, if its the wrong info !!!
I do not currently have time to find a DOT link to lighting laws for passenger vehicles.
I would have thought somebody else would have by now.......

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
A panel of LEDs like JCdubya (sp?) did in his retrofit he had for sale for quite a while. .
FYI: I ended up buying those headlights from him. The LED panel wasn't in them, not sure where it went.
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn

FYI: I ended up buying those headlights from him. The LED panel wasn't in them, not sure where it went.
Those were beautifully done retrofits. I know my Morimoto Minis will look pale in comparison but figured if start small and maybe tackle something bigger once I've built my confidence up. I know theyll be a massive improvement over stock. Bummer about the LED indicators. Those looked awesome. I believe he may have pulled them and lowered the price cuz they were for sale for quite a while.
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #38
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10

I would say it's worth quite a bit, if its the wrong info !!!
I do not currently have time to find a DOT link to lighting laws for passenger vehicles.
I would have thought somebody else would have by now.......
(b) Electric turn signals - In general.- Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under 22-206 (b) of this subtitle, shall be equipped with electric turn signals that indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

(c) Electric turn signals - Front lamps.- The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.

(d) Electric turn signals - Rear lamps.- The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.

(e) Electric turn signals - Visibility of signals - Vehicles 80 inches or more wide.- Turn signal lamps on vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet in normal sunlight.

(f) Electric turn signals - Visibility of signals - Vehicles less than 80 inches wide.- Turn signal lamps on vehicles less than 80 inches wide shall be visible at a distance of not less than 300 feet in normal sunlight.

(g) Glaring or dazzling lights.- No lamp may project a glaring or dazzling light.

(h) Incorporation in other lamps of vehicle.- Turn signal lamps may, but need not, be incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

- See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/maryland/tr....AExgacIn.dpuf

So in Maryland it only says between white and amber and visible from 300ft away in daylight. Frankly I find that to be insufficient. Technically some jalopy could have a single 194 bulb sticking out of his bumper with no lens to spread the light out over a wider area as long as it flashes and you can see it in daylight. Not safe.

Also I won't bother pasting but the little orange side reflector isn't required at all. Only says you need two on the back.

I'll be more than meeting those requirements as I don't find them to be really all that safe.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
I understand what you're getting at. The only issues I have are that those type or system of LEDs would have to be custom wired, which I am not very experienced at, and fairly irreversible as I'd have to cut/alter the jeep wiring to power them. The main issue for me is they will have to be custom mounted somehow, inside the headlight while it is open then sealed inside with only the wiring hanging out. If I ever need to replace or change anything I'll have to bake the headlights open again (most likely destroying any still functioning LEDs) and replace everything including wiring and mounting. With the above type of bulb it plugs into the factory 3157 or 194 socket wiring just like a standard bulb. I can take it out if it burns out or even replace it with a standard incandescent if I need to. Or change my headlights back to stock if I wanna sell it. I think I'll try one of these high powered LEDs but I'm starting to believe that even the incandescent bulb will be plenty bright if I'm not tinting the lens in any way. In fact switching to an Orange bulb and removing the orange lens leaving just a clear lens front will likely be brighter than it was originally as there is less to diffuse the light as it leaves the headlight housing.
Just depends what you want. Can always give them a try, and redo if it's not bright enough.

As for 'baking' them, why? Really no need to. Just take a heat gun on high and heat along the edge where it's sealed. Then take a large flat screwdrive and carefully twist it to pull the lens off the housing. Doint this method takes me about 10min to get the lense off. Use butyl rubber to put it back together. Roll it between your fingers stretching it to get it to the size you need, warm it up, and put the lense back on. Then heat it some more, push the lense into place and put the clips back on. Done. Last month I finally replace a defective reflecting bowl. Was just as easy opening it up again the same way to replace it, and put it back together. Just being the bowl, re JBweld the back again. Took about an hour or so to do it.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #40
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro

Just depends what you want. Can always give them a try, and redo if it's not bright enough.

As for 'baking' them, why? Really no need to. Just take a heat gun on high and heat along the edge where it's sealed. Then take a large flat screwdrive and carefully twist it to pull the lens off the housing. Doint this method takes me about 10min to get the lense off. Use butyl rubber to put it back together. Roll it between your fingers stretching it to get it to the size you need, warm it up, and put the lense back on. Then heat it some more, push the lense into place and put the clips back on. Done. Last month I finally replace a defective reflecting bowl. Was just as easy opening it up again the same way to replace it, and put it back together. Just being the bowl, re JBweld the back again. Took about an hour or so to do it.
True I might need to get a heat gun. Or use my wife's hair dryer. Btw I'm sighting your post if she gets pissed.
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #41
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

At least I can get plenty of time to run is she comes after me! LOL

Seriously though, don't know a hair dryer would get hot enough compared to a heat gun. Picked mine up at Princess Auto for $20 (similar to Harbour Freight I've been told).

Unread 10-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBORNE View Post
You can always have a different stock set of headlights and taillights to swap back in for inspection. I know it may be "illegal", but unless you are just completely blacked out to the point of no translucense, I do not see a policeman making a big deal about it.
We dont have inspections (not counting emission testing) here in MD, unless its the title is transferred. I have seen many vehicles in MD with tinted tails and turn signals, but im not fan of painting lenses either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.