Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner

Well when someone slams into the back of his vehicle because they can't see the brake lights. I guess he will get what he deserves.
LOL. I was joking at first but you really didn't read anything in the post did you? Headlight turn signals buddy. You don't even know which end of the Jeep we're talking about.

Typical forum flamer ******. Read the thread title, form an opinion, then ***** away without a clue. At least the other guy who gave me **** took the time to read and knew what the hell I was talking about. There's pictures included for the learning impaired.

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #17
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post

LOL. I was joking at first but you really didn't read anything in the post did you? Headlight turn signals buddy. You don't even know which end of the Jeep we're talking about.

Typical forum flamer ******. Read the thread title, form an opinion, then ***** away without a clue. At least the other guy who gave me **** took the time to read and knew what the hell I was talking about. There's pictures included for the learning impaired.
Agreed 100% ! Even if you do tint the tails like I have, if you don't over do it, it won't affect your safety. Side by side with a standard Jeep you would hard pressed to tell any difference in brightness with the brake lights on. If anyone goes into the back of me they where going to anyway!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
EndlessMtnRubi

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner
Well when someone slams into the back of his vehicle because they can't see the brake lights. I guess he will get what he deserves.
Wow man. Saying a fellow Jeep owner deserves to be involved in an accident is a little harsh. I don't think you needed to go there with it. Keep it positive and informative. If you can't help the guy out, there's not much to say. He wasn't asking for your opinion. Have a good one fellas.
EndlessMtnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMtnRubi View Post
Wow man. Saying a fellow Jeep owner deserves to be involved in an accident is a little harsh. I don't think you needed to go there with it. Keep it positive and informative. If you can't help the guy out, there's not much to say. He wasn't asking for your opinion. Have a good one fellas.
Actually the SECOND you post something publicly, you are asking for other peoples opinion. Thats one example of why America is the greatest country on earth !
BUT, It was a bit harsh. ALTHOUGH if my family is hurt in accident because somebody "pushed the limit" on there light tint job......IM GOING TO PRISON THAT DAY !! Like I said prior it's illegal for a reason (in PA) tint is just that TINT.
I understand the OP is willing to put a bulb with higher lumen's, but your still tinting the COLOR away after a certain point. Hense GTO head and tail llight covers being illegal.

now for the informative part of my post the OP asked about DOT laws earlier, here they are from what I could find (I did not have time to read them all) but I'm not seeing an "output spec" just color guidelines, You know where I stand on the whole thing BUT, I think if you dont void the COLOR your OK.
FWIW:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...spx?reg=393.11

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10

Actually the SECOND you post something publicly, you are asking for other peoples opinion. Thats one example of why America is the greatest country on earth !
BUT, It was a bit harsh. ALTHOUGH if my family is hurt in accident because somebody "pushed the limit" on there light tint job......IM GOING TO PRISON THAT DAY !! Like I said prior it's illegal for a reason (in PA) tint is just that TINT.
I understand the OP is willing to put a bulb with higher lumen's, but your still tinting the COLOR away after a certain point. Hense GTO head and tail llight covers being illegal.

now for the informative part of my post the OP asked about DOT laws earlier, here they are from what I could find (I did not have time to read them all) but I'm not seeing an "output spec" just color guidelines, You know where I stand on the whole thing BUT, I think if you dont void the COLOR your OK.
FWIW:
Yeah I fully understand what you mean. Especially anonymously on Internet forums you'd be a fool not to expect someone's strong opinions. Even being completely opposite of me on this you read and understood what I was talking about and had information to back up your position which actually helped me to make a more informed decision. That's discourse and dialogue that makes these forums and America great. What does the opposite is when people read a topic or headline or word they've decided or been told not to like and they immediately launch into an attack without considering or even reading the facts or specifics of the conversation. That's a big problem in this country not just this forum.

My wife drives this Jeep regularly and I would never put her in danger, especially over some frivolous cosmetic mods that she always hates anyway.

At this point though you gotta expect it. I'm about to put tow hooks on custom heavy steel brackets I had professionally made that also hold my brush guard. They are multiple times stronger than the wimpy stock tow hooks and brackets but I'm already prepared for the avalanche of "you can't use a brush guard for recovery" posts when I write it up. They are very similar to Fawkes modular mounts that they put shackle tabs on and everybody loves but as soon as a brush guard touches it I know people are gonna go bananas. I'm Almost considering not putting anything up here about it even though it might help others cuz I know how much preprogrammed *****ing I'll have to listen to.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Another option would be to put tint film over the outside of the turn signal. A tint shop could probably do it for around $20 (just a guess) or you could try it yourself. I could be easily removed if you get a ticket for it. A friend of mine did this to his mustang's taillights and it looks really good, very clean.
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisI
Another option would be to put tint film over the outside of the turn signal. A tint shop could probably do it for around $20 (just a guess) or you could try it yourself. I could be easily removed if you get a ticket for it. A friend of mine did this to his mustang's taillights and it looks really good, very clean.
That's true. Though for what I'm planning I really don't expect to have any problems. The examples I posted earlier don't look conspicuous and my aim is to have it blend in seamlessly. I'm hoping it comes out so if you weren't familiar with WJs you'd think it was a really good looking stock headlamp. We'll see.
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Tint film may look better too though. Vht tends to fade even with clear coat and it will not have the same uniform appearance that tint would have
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Being from Western PA, you name it, I've probably gotten a ticket for it. (except of course vehicular homicide, DUI etc)

And as long as it performs as good, if not better than OEM. for example, if the OEM turn signal projected straight out and reflects sideways. Any mod has to do the same, be of comparable brightness and angles of visibility. When LED replacements first came out, they only projected one direction, which on certain light housings was not enough and was dangerous.

Depending on the area, cops hold the option of deeming something unsafe. and technically can be an *** and fine you if it's not marked "DOT" on it.

As for colors, as long at any lights are not "strobing" or emergency colors, then you're fine. I had blue LED license plate bolts and such and got a ticket for that. also had blue strobes in my headlights and forgot to turn them off after leaving a meet and got pulled over as well.
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post

FWIW:
FWIW, your link is for federal guidelines for commercial vehicles...

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

You'll find you'll have problems fitting the gatling shroud in and will have to cut it down quite a bit so it'll fit and not hit the front lense of the housing. If it does, you'll either have the lense not fitting back all the way in, or it'll hit so you can't adjust the headlight. Make sure you test before you seal it up.

First thing I'd say don't tint the lens at all. You don't want to cut light output (safety) and partially doing it won't look right. An idea would be to blackout the reflector. This will give you the black look you're after more or less. Then instead of using the stock signal bulbs, custom put in 5050 SMD LED's, either white or amber, that are on a black backing. This as well keeps the black look. What this will do is keep it looking blacked out, but when the signal lights are on, you'll have LED's instead that won't be an issue with the front lense kept untouched. To wire them, tap into the socket. You can then just put the socket in like normal to seal and keep water out. Another idea would be to use LED panels as well as an option.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
vmo23

If he is using the mini h1, he would get the mini gatling gun shrouds. Those should fit without much trouble. Regular Gatling Gun shrouds on the fx-r projectors were a no-go though.
vmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
You'll find you'll have problems fitting the gatling shroud in and will have to cut it down quite a bit so it'll fit and not hit the front lense of the housing. If it does, you'll either have the lense not fitting back all the way in, or it'll hit so you can't adjust the headlight. Make sure you test before you seal it up.

First thing I'd say don't tint the lens at all. You don't want to cut light output (safety) and partially doing it won't look right. An idea would be to blackout the reflector. This will give you the black look you're after more or less. Then instead of using the stock signal bulbs, custom put in 5050 SMD LED's, either white or amber, that are on a black backing. This as well keeps the black look. What this will do is keep it looking blacked out, but when the signal lights are on, you'll have LED's instead that won't be an issue with the front lense kept untouched. To wire them, tap into the socket. You can then just put the socket in like normal to seal and keep water out. Another idea would be to use LED panels as well as an option.
Really, even with the original Gatling mini not the 2.0? The one I'm using is pictured below with morimoto mini projectors. I was hoping it was gonna be plug and play and go pretty easily but I've never tried it before and of course I can't find the thread anymore from some forum that I read ages ago when I bought all this stuff showing it simply popping in easy peasy without a hitch. Oh well we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Yeah that was one of my options I considered in the first post. Kinda like Hella Black Magic look black when off yet perfectly normal when lit up. Do you think very dark tint or actually paint it? I just worry about the tint sticking to the super shiny chrome of the reflector backing but I could make it appear dark while retaining some reflective quality , with paint I could sand the surface but lose all of the reflectivity. This option seemed like the best possibility but the one I'm least sure of the outcome. A bright LED behind the clear lower turn signal lens would be unhindered as far as light output I just worried about how well it would be seen without the mirror effect of the reflector behind it. If that makes sense. How would I tap into the socket? Is there an LED that just plugs in using the standard socket? Will I need a relay for that you think? I swapped in LEDs for all my cabin lights and license plate lights with no relay and the cabin lights glow slightly all the time but the plate lights are fine.
image-3491337966.jpg

Unread 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
vmo23

tuglife - in case you missed my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmo23 View Post
If he is using the mini h1, he would get the mini gatling gun shrouds. Those should fit without much trouble. Regular Gatling Gun shrouds on the fx-r projectors were a no-go though.
vmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I used the gatlings on my ZJ retrofit. I used the E86's I think it is (?). Been awhile since I did them. Just had to do some trimming for fitment, but depth wise they were fine. Once you get the projector in, you'll be able to figure out how much you'll have to cut for it to fit properly.

Well, going with LED's there should be no problem with light output using 5050 SMD's. Do it in strips, or panels will be plenty seen. This will allow you to totally blackout the reflector. Sand, prime, paint it black.

Mount them in place while you have the lenses open. Put in a strip or panel to replace each bulb. Run the wires out of the respective hole in the back. The way I'd wire it is get a small connector. Solder one end to the wires, solder the other to the socket. This will allow you to plug/unplug them if you ever need to remove the headlight. put the connector inside, put the socket in as normal to seal from water getting in. You'll just have to figure out how to mount the LED's is all once you know what type you'll be using.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.