Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Blacking out turn signal reflectors. HID retrofit Question

So I've got everything I need to start my HID retrofit into aftermarket Laredo headlight housings. The amber turn signal style. Which brings up my questions. I wanna black out these headlights as much as possible while still staying legal and visible. I've already painted my Gatling gun shrouds black and ill be painting the low beam reflector black leaving only the high beam reflectors chrome. I wanna get the turn signal parking lights as black as possible. Like the photos. Now I believe these photos are doctored as a sales ploy and probably don't come that dark from eBay but I'd like to make mine look like that. I'm considering these options, let me know what you think.

1. Tint the outside lenses of the housings only over the turn signals. Seen this done before with reasonably good results. Have to assume it'll cut down on visibility of the turn signal lights dependent on how much tint I sprayed on.

2. While housings are open tint the orange turn signal lens which is a separate piece and place back in. Either tint the inside or the outside, not sure.

3. Remove the orange lens entirely and tint the chrome reflectors around the bulbs. Or Possibly paint them black. Thinking this will limit the reflection and overall glow of the turn signals but the light from the bulb itself will be uninhibited. Thinking a nice all around multi LED replacement will help to make up the brightness.

I also want to tint or paint the small orange side reflector. Maybe tint over it on the headlight lens if i choose option 1. Is it legally required? I imagine so. I'd love to paint it black.

Is tinting inside the clear lens gonna be in any way different from tinting outside? Other than the porous surface I mean.

What's your thoughts?

image-325511181.jpg

image-1076130246.jpg

image-1927792445.jpg

image-841834371.jpg

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Just don't. Please for love of god will everyone stop blacking out their lights.
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner
Just don't. Please for love of god will everyone stop blacking out their lights.
Apparently you didn't properly read the options. I'm gonna do it, cuz it's my jeep, and it's what I want. The question was how. Thanks for the input though.

Also if "everyone" was doing what I'm asking about I wouldn't have had to ask about it. I've been on the Internet before. I looked around.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

I think if you're going to have them open, take the orange and just use a little bit of that lens tint spray paint. If these are the housings you're going with, I would not tint them outside. The inside black molding gives it a good look already. Just my opinion. I will be pursuing a set of retrofit over the winter. I would like to see how yours turn out.
AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner View Post

But its OK cuz "HE WANTS IT"
Who cares about the safety of others..........

YES the safety of others.... which is why its ILLEGAL in PA and I would be willing to bet its illegal in MD aswell.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBORNE
I think if you're going to have them open, take the orange and just use a little bit of that lens tint spray paint. If these are the housings you're going with, I would not tint them outside. The inside black molding gives it a good look already. Just my opinion. I will be pursuing a set of retrofit over the winter. I would like to see how yours turn out.
This what I'm leaning towards. It looks to me like that's most likely how the eBay ones are done. Just a little darker on the diffuser. Prob do the same on the side marker. These also claim to be DOT approved. Take it with a grain of salt but that's what they say.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10

But its OK cuz "HE WANTS IT"
Who cares about the safety of others..........

YES the safety of others.... which is why its ILLEGAL in PA and I would be willing to bet its illegal in MD aswell.
Yay. Good. Someone who knows All the DOT vehicle laws. You're actually exactly who I'm looking for!!

So what I need to know is what exactly is the legal light output requirement for amber turn signals? Obviously the standard incandescent bulb that the jeep came with is weak by comparison to today's technology. LEDs are multiple times brighter. So what light output do I have to reach when I tint the orange diffuser (which on its own certainly limits light output compared to clear turn signal Laredo lights but is still DOT oem equipment) and replace the bulb with 3x brighter LED.

Also what are the laws on the side marker reflector? I've seen DOT approved lights with white/clear reflectors and orange. Does it have to meet a reflectivity rating?

You of course realize that I want to stay legal because you read the first post that says so. Of course.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I would paint the whole headlight assembly black.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
Yay. Good. Someone who knows All the DOT vehicle laws. You're actually exactly who I'm looking for!!

So what I need to know is what exactly is the legal light output requirement for amber turn signals? Obviously the standard incandescent bulb that the jeep came with is weak by comparison to today's technology. LEDs are multiple times brighter. So what light output do I have to reach when I tint the orange diffuser (which on its own certainly limits light output compared to clear turn signal Laredo lights but is still DOT oem equipment) and replace the bulb with 3x brighter LED.

Also what are the laws on the side marker reflector? I've seen DOT approved lights with white/clear reflectors and orange. Does it have to meet a reflectivity rating?

You of course realize that I want to stay legal because you read the first post that says so. Of course.
research your states inspection laws......

In PA they will cite a driver with tinted lights for
1. limited light output (but yet there is no "lumens" requirement for marker and turns)
2. markers and turns MUST abide by "lighting color requirements"

you can be sarcastic till your blue in the face !!
fact remains "I'm gonna do it, cuz it's my jeep, and it's what I want" (your words), regardless of legality's or what your "anti-flaming" disclosure says in the first post (my words).......

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8
I would paint the whole headlight assembly black.
Lol. Not much different from those horrible snap on black covers.
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:

research your states inspection laws......

In PA they will cite a driver with tinted lights for
1. limited light output (but yet there is no "lumens" requirement for marker and turns)
2. markers and turns MUST abide by "lighting color requirements"

you can be sarcastic till your blue in the face !!
fact remains "I'm gonna do it, cuz it's my jeep, and it's what I want" (your words), regardless of legality's or what your "anti-flaming" disclosure says in the first post (my words).......
Yeah I'm still gonna do it. For those very reasons. The question was how to do it legally and safe, as I said in my words in the first post. I understand your concern. People do stupid ****. I'm not talking about spraying tint over the whole headlight till its virtually black. The headlights themselves will be completely clear. I'm talking about making the turn signals appear darker when off not darker or less visible signals to other drivers. When the light is on I want it to function to legal standards. My headlights will be brighter and safer than 99% of the WJs on the road after a proper HID projector retrofit. Think Hella Black Magic, that's the idea I'm going for. Assuming that MD and PA laws are the same (I'll have to check) my signals being orange and being brighter than stock after a small amount of tint and massively brighter bulbs would meet those two requirements. Where would the safety or legal issue be? I will certainly be taking these to an approved MD inspection station (ours are state run so no slipping a mechanic a $20) to verify that they meet all legal requirements. I haven't had a ticket or accident in 13 years so I'm not about to start over some spray tint.
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
tuglife
2004 WJ 

I'm starting to think that tinting the orange slightly would be the best bet. If the inspection station or a passing cop doesn't like them I can just pop the housings open and remove the orange lens then change the White LEDs back to orange incandescents.

Still curious about the idea of tinting only the reflector backing around the turn signal bulbs. This is how I imagine Hella's Black Magic lights work though I've never seen any taken apart. I'll have to ask a cop friend of mine what he thinks. With the reflector backing still somewhat functional and the lens in front of the bulb clear and a bright orange LED bulb uninhibited by even the orange stock lens I'd think it would be brighter and more visible than stock.
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

You can always have a different stock set of headlights and taillights to swap back in for inspection. I know it may be "illegal", but unless you are just completely blacked out to the point of no translucense, I do not see a policeman making a big deal about it.
AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBORNE
You can always have a different stock set of headlights and taillights to swap back in for inspection. I know it may be "illegal", but unless you are just completely blacked out to the point of no translucense, I do not see a policeman making a big deal about it.
Yeah I'll have a second set once I do these but I'm not that type of guy. The legal aspect I don't give a **** about other than not getting tickets. Safety for myself and for other drivers I consider a moral obligation.

I'm def not blacking them out completely. I don't even like that look and how unsafe it is that so many guys taillights are practically painted black. Just want them to look dark not bright chrome or orange when they're off. Search smoke headlights on eBay, and I'm not even talking about the headlamp section. Just turn signals. I'm nor breaking new ground. Those are DOT approved and don't even use LED bulbs.
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
But its OK cuz "HE WANTS IT" Who cares about the safety of others.......... YES the safety of others.... which is why its ILLEGAL in PA and I would be willing to bet its illegal in MD aswell.
Well when someone slams into the back of his vehicle because they can't see the brake lights. I guess he will get what he deserves.
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.