bicycle roof racks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bicycle roof racks

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

bicycle roof racks

Hey everyone,

I ride Mt Bikes so I went searching for, different ways to haul one w/ the WJ. I *almost* went with a hitch rack but then found a screaming deal at REI for a Yakima tray for the factory cross bars. I mounted it up yesterday and it fits well, I'm just not sure that the cross bars are all that strong.

Doe anyone else use the same setup so that I could get some feedback on the strength of these cross bars? I'd hate to loose the bike, it's probably worth more that the WJ !

2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

the cross bars are rated for 150 lbs. so a rack and a couple bikes should be no problem at all. I ride bmx style bikes and fitting mine and my daughters inside makes for a tight fit for her in the backseat, so i'll get them mounted up on the roof at some point. you should post a pic of it mounted up.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I had similar concerns about the factory cross bars but then I threw a full-size Rola rack w/extension up there. I've hauled myself onto the roof with that thing installed and it seems ok. I wouldn't worry about a few bikes. As mentioned, the official rating is 150lbs.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The roof bars seem pretty damn sturdy on the WJ, I wouldn't think twice about it. My XJ had some weird way of the bars staying together with little springs, so I was kind of leary to put a bike on those.

I got tired of dealing with throwing a bike on the top of my cars, and that was a BMW and a WRX. I'd hate to lift a bike on top of the Jeep all the time, especially a heavy mountain bike! Finally bought a 1upUSA hitch rack and couldn't he happier. Tons of comments on it too.

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
thechainrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
The roof bars seem pretty damn sturdy on the WJ, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I got tired of dealing with throwing a bike on the top of my cars, and that was a BMW and a WRX. I'd hate to lift a bike on top of the Jeep all the time, especially a heavy mountain bike!
This.
thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

The issue i have with the roof mounted racks is that you are adding a lot of profile to your vehicle, robbing power and fuel milage. My personal preferance is a hitch mounted. Also with a rack mount it can be slightly dificult to get the bike up there if you are lifted. I know when i get the WJ going down the road again i will be getting a hitch mount for my bikes.
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
madmax

My family and I ride mountain bikes. I love my hitch-mounted bike rack. I use a long cable to lock all three bikes at once while they're on the hitch mount (the cable also go through the loop next to the hitch). It's no way anyone can steal the bicycles while the Jeep is parked at the restaurant or store.

Why go with roof mount rack? It's a PITA to put the bicycles up on the roof. You can't go in the garage parking lot with these!

2007 BMW 335i, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, premium & sport package.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L - SOLD :(
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the replies and pics. I'm not knocking the hitch mount systems, they just don't appeal to me and I don't have parking garages / low overhangs to worry about. The Yakima rack was in the 'garge sale' at REI, so it ended up costing me $18 for something that retails for $170 !

I'll get a pic of the rack posted up soon.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.