Beware- Timken Bearing assemblies - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Beware- Timken Bearing assemblies

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Replaced my front hubs with timkens from autozone back in august, no fitment issues, but the driver side needs to be replaced again. Only lasted a few months...

Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
I see the point precisely mate. But attempting to buy "made in the USA" anymore is damn near impossible at times. My reference was to the fact that there is little difference between the countries mentioned, cheap labor wise. Slovakia is a cheap labor country, thus the fact they have made stuff for a long time is, well, irrelevant IMHO
It is a terrible shame that "US companies" relocate plants to 3rd world #%$holes to save a few bucks. Funny thing is though, I never see the retail price of the foreign made junk go down....
If we ever get a government with a pair of balls, introducing an extra tax on the import of such items may slow it down a little IMO.

Martin
the backslide that the real wage american workers make is taking will soon have us living like those 3rd world countries again.

very, very few companies allow for cost of living/inflation adjustment in wages. but they sure to adjust whole sale pricing for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
Replaced my front hubs with timkens from autozone back in august, no fitment issues, but the driver side needs to be replaced again. Only lasted a few months...
properly torqued the axle shaft nut to 175ftlbs didn't you?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

All I was trying to say is that most of these countries build things for the USA to spec and are very capable of doing so. It's that the specs given are trash. I have been to Slovakia when it was part of the Czech republic and it's not a 3rd world country, it's just really small. I find it funny when people talk crap about China, as they are running around all day with their Iphone or Ipod, just to get home to surf the net on their computer or to watch TV. China is a great place to make things people work 6 days a week for 16-20 hours a day dirt cheap. The government is not about to tax itself. The very same people that run the slave shops in these 3rd world #%$holes are the ones that put things on the teleprompter for your president to read you the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
I see the point precisely mate. But attempting to buy "made in the USA" anymore is damn near impossible at times. My reference was to the fact that there is little difference between the countries mentioned, cheap labor wise. Slovakia is a cheap labor country, thus the fact they have made stuff for a long time is, well, irrelevant IMHO
It is a terrible shame that "US companies" relocate plants to 3rd world #%$holes to save a few bucks. Funny thing is though, I never see the retail price of the foreign made junk go down....
If we ever get a government with a pair of balls, introducing an extra tax on the import of such items may slow it down a little IMO.

Martin
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
It's that the specs given are trash.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Talking

Quote:
Good thing they have a lifetime warranty!
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ

Good thing they have a lifetime warranty!
Nope, not here anyway. The duralast hubs had like a 90 day warrnaty and the timken units only have a 1 yr. Oreillys has the masterpro for a year and the precision for 3 yrs. If they were a lifetime warranty I wouldnt care its a fairly simple swap. I just think its weird they went out so fast. The guy at the counter says its because of the bigger tires, but the factory hub lasted about a year and half. The timken only lasted like 3 or 4 months.
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Wow, thats not cool. The only reason i buy timkens are for their lifetime warranty. I get them from car parts warehouse. I expect them to wear out faster because of the large tires and the amount of backpacking compared to stock, but if I didn't get the lifetime warranty i would just get the 1yr bearings and warranty them every 6 months.
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Nope, not here anyway. The duralast hubs had like a 90 day warrnaty and the timken units only have a 1 yr. Oreillys has the masterpro for a year and the precision for 3 yrs. If they were a lifetime warranty I wouldnt care its a fairly simple swap. I just think its weird they went out so fast. The guy at the counter says its because of the bigger tires, but the factory hub lasted about a year and half. The timken only lasted like 3 or 4 months.
Mine have held up fine so far,as many others with oversized tires. May have been a defect.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #24
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Wow, thats not cool. The only reason i buy timkens are for their lifetime warranty. I get them from car parts warehouse. I expect them to wear out faster because of the large tires and the amount of backpacking compared to stock, but if I didn't get the lifetime warranty i would just get the 1yr bearings and warranty them every 6 months.
Same here man I expect quicker wear due to the larger tire and what we put them through, but 4 months is not what I was expecting. What's car parts warehouse?? Online retailer or walk in parts store?? I kinda like to be able to go and pick up my part when it needs replacing instead of having to ship it and wait for another to be shipped to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Mine have held up fine so far,as many others with oversized tires. May have been a defect.
Same thing I was told from the guy at the counter. I mean I've used timken before and I'm not trying to bash on their quality. As far as I'm concerned they still make quality products and I just hope I got a bad one that made it past quality control.
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #25
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Car parts warehouse is just a local parts store. There not as big as AutoZone, orileys's, or advanced. But they aren't small time either. I agree, 4 months isn't long at all for a timken bearing. Ill bet it was just a bad part, it happens from time to time. Also, im sure you already know this, but both axle nut and bolt torque are critical for bearing life. Also knuckle cleanliness.
TJSWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.