Beware- Timken Bearing assemblies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Beware- Timken Bearing assemblies

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
askoop
2000 WJ 

Beware- Timken Bearing assemblies

Driver side front wheel bearing needed replaced, so I had AZ order me a Timken as opposed to using their Duralast brand which I assume are made in China. Last I knew Timken were made in the USA too, which I like a lot more. Figured $20 more for made in the USA and a better part was worth it.

Got everything apart today at lunch and ready to go back together. First thing I noticed on the Timken bearing assembly is that it is now stamped "Slovakia", NOT USA. Second, they are not threaded correctly and the stock bolts will not fit the new Timken assembly. I wire brushed the threads to clean them up before trying too. I read of someone else having this problem too, but was hoping that was a fluke.

Now I am stuck using the duralast brand and I guess hoping it lasts. I am going out of town this Friday an cannot wait to order some from rock auto or 1A Auto.

WTB: 1 Timberline wheel or a set of JK steelies
askoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
kastner03
2000 WJ 

i just did both sides on my jeep last week with timkens and the bolts fit just fine, maybe u got a bad one?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Your AZ sales associated ordered the wrong hub/bearing. I have timkens with no fitment issues.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
seu83
2002 WJ 

Same here I did both front bearings back in July with timkens with no issues.
seu83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Bphase
1999 WJ 

I just did my drivers side with timkin bearings last week and got new bolts from the Stealer and everything went smooth. So IDK?
Bphase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Slovakia has been building things far longer then the USA, so how bad can it be?
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
nickblack
1999 WJ 

No trouble with my recently installed Timken's.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
radoboy
1999 WJ 

Installed my Timken fronts a few weeks back without issue.
2000 Audi S4, 2013 Audi A3 TDI, 1990 Corrado 16vT, 1993 Corrado VR6
radoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I did 2 New timkens about a month or so ago as well, and had no issue. I also think they gave you the wrong bearing
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I have literally done maybe a dozen timken WJ front bearings over the last 1.5 years and never had an issue with any. Sounds like you got the wrong bearing or the wrong bearing put in the box.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the wrong hub. Post up what part number(s) you were given.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #12
WJ04
2004 WJ 

I remember reading somewhere that some companies and shops were using noname brands and putting a timken sticker on them and selling them as timkens. Make sure it comes in a real timken box and varify the part number.
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Slovakia has been building things far longer then the USA, so how bad can it be?
So has China, just like the majority of the rest of the world considering how young the USA is.
Learn some history and average labor rates in Slovakia and China, then see if you wish to move there yourself to make wheel bearings.....

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I know my history just fine. History shows that China is full of US companies and contractors wanting to make crap as cheap as possible. China delivers exactly what the US wants, cheap crap, cheaply made.

Now if you were to pull your head out of the sand, you would see that I don't need to make cheap bearings in Slovakia or China, I can do it right in the USA, since it's looking more like China everyday. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
So has China, just like the majority of the rest of the world considering how young the USA is.
Learn some history and average labor rates in Slovakia and China, then see if you wish to move there yourself to make wheel bearings.....

Martin
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I see the point precisely mate. But attempting to buy "made in the USA" anymore is damn near impossible at times. My reference was to the fact that there is little difference between the countries mentioned, cheap labor wise. Slovakia is a cheap labor country, thus the fact they have made stuff for a long time is, well, irrelevant IMHO
It is a terrible shame that "US companies" relocate plants to 3rd world #%$holes to save a few bucks. Funny thing is though, I never see the retail price of the foreign made junk go down....
If we ever get a government with a pair of balls, introducing an extra tax on the import of such items may slow it down a little IMO.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.