Best Thing To Do About Wet Carpets? (passenger side) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Thing To Do About Wet Carpets? (passenger side)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

Best Thing To Do About Wet Carpets? (passenger side) Also, Is It Bad?

My passenger side got a little flooded tonight when i went wheeling. Not much, less than half a inch in the back and front. only passenger side. whats the best thing i can do?
i dont really wanna rip up my carpet. im shop vaccing it now.
what else should i do?

also. I got stuck in the huge puddle. i had to get pulled out because my engine stalled and would not start back up.

So i get pulled out, and my friends friend says my engine is hydro locked, and with my lack of knowledge of engines, just listened to whatever he said. he said dont try starting it again, i didnt. We have another kid come to pull me through the rest of the trail, and when he gets there, he asks me to crank it. i do, and it starts up, a little rough, but it started. he said there was just alot of water in my muffler or something, and i should just rev it for a few minutes and ill be good. I did, and i got home fine. Everything seems good, but im not sure. Is there anything i need to do? Anything that might be screwed up?

Last edited by steveridesli; 03-30-2010 at 10:32 PM..
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Um--shop vac? Ah--leave windows open tomorrow if it's dry out??

All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

do you have a de-humidafyer?
its hard to get water out, because of the heavy backing soaks up water,
but i have allot of experience trying to dry out jeeps, and putting a de-humidafyer in it for 12 hours works really well, but you do have to pull the carpet up near the edges for airflow.
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Wear boots when you drive.

Seriously though,

Is it relatively clean water or is it the smelly swap stuff? If it's clean, just shop-vac it as much as you can and run the blower on the floor setting whenever you drive until it's dry. As mentioned, a de-humidifier is an excellent idea if you have one.

If it's the smelly, muddy crap, I would take it somewhere and have it shampoo'ed. We won't tell.
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

A strong shop vac will get the water out pretty well, then just drive with the A/C on for dehumidifying (use the feet vents) for a day or 2, and park with the windows partly open if the weather's nice.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Go to a store(wally world, Lowes, Homedepot) and get a product called Dri-Z-Air. It comes in a little bag and its little pellets that soak up water like crazy.

DON'T PUT THE PELLETS ON THE CARPET!!!

They sell a little holder for them.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

i pulled up the carpet on the sides in the front, got under and cleaned all the water under the front floor matt pretty good. now its just what ever is soaked into the carpet and that **** thats on the back of it. As for the back seats, i couldnt really get the carpet up without getting it in a posoition that looked like it would mess it up. ill try that dri-z-air stuff 2m when home depot opens, and i will try to find my dehumidifier
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

made an edit
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

So everyone answered your first question. On to the second part. Do you know roughly how deep the water was? Did it come over your hood? Did you stop and sit in it for more than 10-15 seconds(if it was deep)?

Whoever said it was just water in your muffler, don't listen to him, that wouldn't affect your engine. The muffler is a sealed unit from your exhaust headers. The only way water got in is if there is a crack or it came in the exhaust pipe(which is impossible while running) If you did hydro-lock it, you could have bent a rod, blown a piston seal.

For reference for next time. If you think you hydro-locked it, pull ALL of your spark plugs, crank the engine and whatever water was in the cylinders should mostly come out. Insert plugs and crank 'er up.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

we were gonna take out the plugs and do that but we had no tools. it wasnt a crazy trail that we were too sure about going to, just a spur of the moment thing. and the water came over the hood while i was driving through it, but came just above the gray trim while i was stopped in it for the, about 5 minutes, it took to use a hand winch to pull me close enough to my friends truck to pull me out. Video coming soon! lol.

what are the symptoms of a broken seal or bent rod? My gas mileage seemed to be a little better, maybe im just crazy. She ran fine.
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

how did it stall? hard to explain what i mean, but when i sunk my jeep, i thought i might of hydro locked it, because i would try to start it and it would just make a loud clunk for a second then die, so i pulled the plugs and there was no water in, but it was just the submerged computer messing with things, but i think it would be fairly obvious if you did some damage, it would be loud and probably misfiring if it was a bent rod or at least smoke allot if you messed up a piston ring
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

nah everything seemed to be running good. I was just trying to make it through the puddle, and the engine stopped. i shut it off, tried to start it, it was cranking but not turning over. my friends told me to stop, it was gonna make it worse. so i did, they pulled me out of the puddle, my friend took out my air filter, saw it was soaked, and then said itd be best if i got towed out to where we had tools and i took out the spark plugs. when the guy who was gonna pull me out of the trail got there, he asked me to crank it so he can hear. and it started right up. for all i know, it wouldve started the second i got pulled out of the water, but they said dont try.
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

for the carpet-

try keeping the carpet slightly lifted and allow the air to get UNDER it too. Keep windows open as much as possible to let the moisture evaporate.

Best option would be to let the sun shine on it (open the door) and/or let a fan run over/under the carpet for a while. Do not put any mats over the carpet for a few weeks.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
for the carpet-

try keeping the carpet slightly lifted and allow the air to get UNDER it too. Keep windows open as much as possible to let the moisture evaporate.

Best option would be to let the sun shine on it (open the door) and/or let a fan run over/under the carpet for a while. Do not put any mats over the carpet for a few weeks.
alright, im gonna go stick something under the carpeting now. i cant get under the back carpeting though
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveridesli View Post
nah everything seemed to be running good. I was just trying to make it through the puddle, and the engine stopped. i shut it off, tried to start it, it was cranking but not turning over. my friends told me to stop, it was gonna make it worse. so i did, they pulled me out of the puddle, my friend took out my air filter, saw it was soaked, and then said itd be best if i got towed out to where we had tools and i took out the spark plugs. when the guy who was gonna pull me out of the trail got there, he asked me to crank it so he can hear. and it started right up. for all i know, it wouldve started the second i got pulled out of the water, but they said dont try.
if it was hydrolocked at that stage it would't start so easily, so your safe there, depending what kind of air filter you have, if its a factory paper one or a k7n type cone. the filter could of just got wet and possibly plugged, i had my k&n cone and after muddy wheeling it got covered, and they next morning after driving home in the rain, it had dried solid, it wouldn't start, just crank, so i took a look under the hood, expecting an IAC issue, and the filter just couldnt let air past, popped the filter off, and it fired up right away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.