Best source for a crate engine - 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best source for a crate engine - 4.0

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

Best source for a crate engine - 4.0

So with my engine ready to bite the dust, I'm going to go the crate engine route. The local junkyards aren't showing anything promising - I did find one with 65k on it for $1300, but after doing some internet research I found I can score a reconditioned one for $1725 from Barnett Engines. Free shipping, no tax, no upfront core charges, 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. May as well spend the extra $$$ for a new one, y'know?

Has anyone else done better?

jeep_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Promar Engines in NJ has 4.0 long blocks for around $1,700.

I bought a 4.7 V8 from them 18 months ago and I'm really happy with how everything went.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
BWYoung85
2004 WJ 

I have been looking at these, but my motor only has 70k on it so I have some time... lol

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engi...78609/10002/-1

There is a learning curve to everything.
BWYoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

Just called Promar - $2000 for the long block.

Holy cow - $2800 for a stroker engine!!! Just a bit over my range. Ok, more like 1k over my range.
Unread 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

For 1500 I had one built locally. The engine I gave him even needed a crank. And he assembled it.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

86, can you PM me with the details? You're not too far from me.

I'm a little worried about the crate I wanna get from Barnett now. I'm 99% sure I have a rod going, yet when I read the fine print on the core return, it states:

"Engine cores that have damage to the block, crankshaft and/or connecting rod will recieve no core credit."

Well, isn't that the purpose of a rebuilt?
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

Bumping for advice - found ATK has one locally for just over 1900 - 2100 with a better labor warranty.

Anyone have experience with them?
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

Ok, another bump. Engine has been ordered. Arrival date Monday. Crapping my pants in anticipation of doing this. Hopefully by next weekend I'll be driving it back to the beach.
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
bankrboy30

Wj

Which company did you end up going with? How are things going? The 4.0 in my '99 went yesterday and I am in the process of figuring out what next.

Junkyard donor / crate motor / stroker

It's a lot to absorb and consider. I've always wanted to try a rebuild on my own but after seeing what goes into a proper job and the machine shop expense it seems like a crate or junkyard swap is a better way out.

Anything you have to add about your experience so far might help
bankrboy30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
bankrboy30

I guess this thread is a little old but I'm still trying to explore my options as my wj has been taking up space in my driveway since my last post. Can anyone post who they went with and how things have gone post swap. I really need to get a move on the project as I'm still insuring her Monthly as you can not have an unregistered vehicle here on long island and to keep your plates you need to maintain insurance coverage - sort of lame for a truck that hasn't left the driveway in months :-(
Unread 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
ecwv1
2004 WJ 

Got mine from rock auto from a company called marshal for 1600. Put just over 1k on it. Doing good so far.
ecwv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
jeep_dude
2002 WJ 

I got mine from ATK - 2000 and paid a mechanic 1000 to put it in - this included replacing the water pump, tstat, new plugs, hoses, oil sending unit, and had the trans fluid changed.

Put 1000 miles on it and just changed the oil. She purrs like a kitten. So, for 3000, I got basically a new vehicle. Not a spot of rust on it and it shifts smooth. Getting 16 mpg, a drastic increase from before.

Note that the 2000 was actually 2500 - they refund you the core when they get it back. Tax free and free shipping.

I'm glad I went the crate route. I looked high and low for a jy engine, but the cheapest I came across was 1500. For another 500 I got a brand new (reman) engine.

The 4.0 is fairly easy to swap out. I probably could've done it myself, but living in a townhouse, my space was limited. Well worth the expense.
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
coaltrkr1

At jeep_dude: Brother you definetly made a good choice by paying someone to do the swap in your Grand Cherokee. I've never experienced a bigger headache! If Jeep's engineers had to work on their crap, they definetly would've put more thought into their engineering. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the parts you have to take off in order to get the engine out. And to be honest, getting it out is the easy part. Putting it back in is where the aggravation begins. I'll say this, I'm glad it's the last engine swap I'll ever do in a Jeep product!

I gave two grand for my ATK 4.0 thru NAPA after the five-hundred core. I ordered it this past Monday and had it the following morning. As stated above, i could've saved about $500 thru RockAuto, but couldn't wait 5-7 days.

I hope I helped in some way. Sorry for the anti-Jeep rant above.
coaltrkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
bankrboy30

Seems like so far everyone who's posted back is happy with their purchase - though most have yet to put many miles on them yet.

Thanks for the replies! I've been slacking lately between working like a dog and trying to enjoy the summer a bit when I finally get some down time so I haven't moved forward on this project yet but it is killing me that my beach permit isnt getting any use with the truck down and out.

I've done the swap in my ZJ and thought it was pretty straight forward - I can take the nose of the truck off in probably around twenty minutes (did my fan assy and relay when I first acquired the WJ) and since I plan on doing all new cooling components - mounts / gaskets etc I don't think I will have too tough of a time getting her up and out with all of the extra clearance of having the radiator, header panel etc out of the way.

Only tough spot I ran into when I did the zj swap was with the one bolt that mates the tranny bell housing to the block on the upper drivers side. Think I'll get around that this time by actually lowering the entire assembly a tad once off it's mounts and attacking that bolt first - hopefully from there is will be pretty smooth sailing.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's done this a few years back and put some decent mileage on their truck since. I'm beginning to think I might drive a lot more than the average...
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_dude View Post
Bumping for advice - found ATK has one locally for just over 1900 - 2100 with a better labor warranty.

Anyone have experience with them?
I bought an ATK and have been very satisfied with it!
mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.