Best Replacement Head Gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Replacement Head Gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
JeepAMG
1999 WJ 

Best Replacement Head Gasket

I am going to be replacing my head gaskets shortly and wanted your guys opinion for the best replacement. Most people I heard either did stock Mopar or Cometic gaskets. From my prior experiences which is 2 times, I will never get Cometic again.

I heard from a few friends of mine that VICTOR REINZ gaskets are very good and they have a Multi-Layered Steel design. After doing some research, I honestly have nothing bad to say about Victor Reinz.

Also DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS is up for question.

What is your opinion?

Stock Mopar?
Cometic?
Victor Reinz?
DNJ?

JeepAMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Mopar or Fel-pro. Chances are the Mopar one is probably made by Fel-pro anyway.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

hopping I don't need baskets for a long time

however when that day comes will seriously consider, copper baskets, they are reusable and way more forgiving then multiplayer baskets

however VICTOR REINZ are known worle wide for their quality, although I have seen one go bad, where it physically broke and the water was coming out between the head and block

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
seu83
2002 WJ 

I've always used fel pro and never had a problem.
seu83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Mopar or Fel-pro. Chances are the Mopar one is probably made by Fel-pro anyway.
Pretty sure this is true. I had them side by side and they seemed the same. I went with Fel pro as they were cheaper. Never had an issue on the WJ or any other fel pro head gasket I have ever used.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I installed Fel-Pro on mine. So far so good...
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
JeepAMG
1999 WJ 

Thnx for the info guess I will decide this weekend felpro or Viktor rienz and place the order
JeepAMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
epGTO
1999 WJ 

I used the VICTOR REINZ gasket set when I replace my head gasket and supporting gaskets (valve cover gasket, valve seals, etc...). I chose it because it looked just like the OE ones I removed (same colors and textures) and it was a lot cheaper than the Felpro set. I'm usually cautious about getting cheaper parts because the quality is usually bad but since they looked just like the OE and the Felpro didn't, I took the gamble. I have ~5K miles on the new gaskets and everything is still good.
epGTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Just bought a new Fel-Pro gasket for my valve cover. It has the Chrysler part number stamped on it so I'm 100% sure they are the oem gasket supplier.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.