best place to get swaybar link bolt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > best place to get swaybar link bolt?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
KDR83

best place to get swaybar link bolt?

Put in my BB along with Bilsteins today, only issue I had was when I was torquing the bolt on the rear swaybar link it snapped. Can I just go to lowes or home depot and grab a comparable sized Grade 8 bolt or do I need to go to the dealer? Anyone know what size the bolt is? Don't think I want the 5 zipties as a permanent solution

KDR83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

I think Lowes grade 8 would be fine. Sway bar isn't weight bearing at all. The zip ties might even be enough lol

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/built-not-bought/"]Built Not Bought # 736[/URL][/CENTER]

[color=red][B][CENTER]What WJ parts do you want from the JY? Send me a PM and I will let you know what's in stock[/CENTER][/B][/color]
lance-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Well its load bearing enough for me to have seen the top mounts be pulled from the frame few times! Under quite a bit of force under fastIsh cornerIng. Don't think the ties will last that long!
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Agreed, it is load bearing; just not weight bearing. So, if one is mindful to take it easy the zip ties *might* last :P

Still though grade 8 bolts are appropriate.

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/built-not-bought/"]Built Not Bought # 736[/URL][/CENTER]

[color=red][B][CENTER]What WJ parts do you want from the JY? Send me a PM and I will let you know what's in stock[/CENTER][/B][/color]
lance-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

What's the proper size? I lost one myself last weekend, have 4 heavy duty zipties holding that side up now. I tried to pick up a 1/2" bolt but it was just a bit too big. Plus the nut is still attached on the other side, so the proper stock bolt size would really be ideal. Looks like it's maybe 10 or 11mm?
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

The stock bolt has a special shoulder on it. I doubt grade 8 would work.

Take out your non broken bolt and you'll see what I mean.

Order from Kolak if you can wait. Otherwise.... Dealer only item.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.