Best Long Arm kit for the $$$ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Long Arm kit for the $$$

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
04dubjay

Question Best Long Arm kit for the $$$

Alright, first of all, hello JF, and thanks for all the info that you've given to me thus far. I currently am running a RC 4" Basic lift, and I'm tired of the ****ty ride quality. I'm looking to upgrade to longarms and wanted some opinions/experiences.

Right now I'm looking at two choices...

IRO Critical Path Kit...
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW

or

IronMan4x4Fab kit...
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/LAK.html

Ironman4x4 kit is a little cheaper, but that's certainly not a deciding factor... What caught my attention about that kit is it's claim to be "Strongest, and most adjustable in the market". Is there any truth to that? Which kit would you choose? Any input is appreciated!!

Unread 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
kristi5683

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dubjay
Alright, first of all, hello JF, and thanks for all the info that you've given to me thus far. I currently am running a RC 4" Basic lift, and I'm tired of the ****ty ride quality. I'm looking to upgrade to longarms and wanted some opinions/experiences.

Right now I'm looking at two choices...

IRO Critical Path Kit...
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW

or

IronMan4x4Fab kit...
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/LAK.html

Ironman4x4 kit is a little cheaper, but that's certainly not a deciding factor... What caught my attention about that kit is it's claim to be "Strongest, and most adjustable in the market". Is there any truth to that? Which kit would you choose? Any input is appreciated!!
You're probably going to get all sorts of opinions on that. Smart move on going to LAs. I can't speak for either company that you listed since I'm running Clayton's on mine. I love them but have no experience with anything else. My dub is the only lifted WJ I've been in. :-)
My advice would be to read reviews and pay attention to what the complaints/praises are for each. If its a complaint make sure it's not the individuals fault as opposed to a product flaw.

Good luck on picking your LAs out!
kristi5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
bhicks
2002 WJ 

The Iron Man long arms are well built. I was getting an allignment done at a local shop a while back and I saw a WJ with the Iron Man long arms. They looked a lot like the Rubicon Express long arms I have seen on TJ's and XJ's. Great product. The issue I have with them isn't quality or design; it's their use of the word "kit". It's NOT a long arm kit. You get long arms and nothing else. There is no mounts or crossmember of any kind. You have to either use the Iron Rock mounts or the Clayton Crossmember and mounts. The Iron Rock mounts are around $100 and the Clayton mounts (which are MUCH stronger in design and attachment) are $300 so you need to factor that into the cost of the "kit". I'm currently in the process of designing WJ drop brackets, if that doesn't work out, I will be going with the Iron Man long amrs, Iron Rock mounts and then welding the mounts on after I bolt them on. The long arms upgrade is on the same list as 4.56 gears, rear locker, and bushwacker flares and I'm broke so nothing on that list will be checked off for quite a while.
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

I run the IronMan LA's and IronRock mounts...no issues here....I chose those LA because of the 2 Y arms and the bolt on factor...plus, it was less expensive at the time since IronRock was charging an extra 100 bucks to make them adjustable and they lacked the 2 Y arms
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Between the two, I'd go Iron Man. Just because of the Johnny joints, that's a fine quality joint.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If your willing to take a little drive to pick it up. aka hop on the ferry and drive up RT 8 in CT go clayton

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/178

little more money but a much better preforming set up then the ones you listed
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Claytons all the way. It's the only kit that comes with the unibody rails. A very important strength upgrade for our trucks. You already did it once, now do it right. I'm in the same situation you are and my Claytons kit is on it's way.Contact forum member Kolak for more information and the best pricing.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
04dubjay

Thanks for the replies, all!! I knew before I wrote this thread that most people had the best experience with the clayton kit. Truth is, my truck (unfortunately) is about 95% a street queen. That being said, I'm not all too concerned with it being indestructable while offroading. Don't get me wrong, the clayton kit is tempting but I'm trying to keep the cost closer to 500 than 1000. Right now my gut is leading me towards the IMO+IRO mount combo for around 600. Unless someone can convince me firther to go clayton, I'll most likely go with the setup mentioned above. This truck is my DD and I drive about 40 miles a day in it.
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
rocky_lange
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dubjay View Post
Thanks for the replies, all!! I knew before I wrote this thread that most people had the best experience with the clayton kit. Truth is, my truck (unfortunately) is about 95% a street queen. That being said, I'm not all too concerned with it being indestructable while offroading. Don't get me wrong, the clayton kit is tempting but I'm trying to keep the cost closer to 500 than 1000. Right now my gut is leading me towards the IMO+IRO mount combo for around 600. Unless someone can convince me firther to go clayton, I'll most likely go with the setup mentioned above. This truck is my DD and I drive about 40 miles a day in it.
You just gave the answer why you should go with Claytons. If I were doing a long arm, and I am thinking about it, I will go Claytons BECAUSE my dub is a DD. I want it to be indestructible on the trail. What happens if you use a lesser product and break it while wheeling on the weekend? Then you can't drive it to work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or however long it take to get new parts/repairs made.

A saying in the gun community when buying "cheaper" items. Buy once, cry once.
rocky_lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dubjay View Post
That being said, I'm not all too concerned with it being indestructable while offroading.
Gotta read all the words, bud.

Anyone bashing the Iron Man arms for being weak is really just being elitist. They both use JJs at body side and poly bushings at axle end, both are heavy grade tubing and solid rod. You people make it sound like Claytons are made from gold and unicorn bones while everyone else uses PVC and spaghetti noodles.

ANY of the LA setups out there will treat the OP well.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
You people make it sound like Claytons are made from gold and unicorn bones while everyone else uses PVC and spaghetti noodles.
hahaha quoted..
But your right All LA kits are rigid however some are made for different styles of use.
people who just want lift go with the IRO's because they get the job done and are great,
Other people want to have the the most complete kit, thus the buy claytons or the Critical path IRO's.

all are strong and great but they vary to suit the needs of different people.
SKI_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Gotta read all the words, bud.

Anyone bashing the Iron Man arms for being weak is really just being elitist. They both use JJs at body side and poly bushings at axle end, both are heavy grade tubing and solid rod. You people make it sound like Claytons are made from gold and unicorn bones while everyone else uses PVC and spaghetti noodles.

ANY of the LA setups out there will treat the OP well.
Signaturized!

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

I'm looking at long arms myself, the Iron man arms paired with the iron rock off road mounts seems to be the best package. However, if you're staying at 4-6inches, not worried about wheeling, adjustability, etc. Than definitely go with the cost effective iron rock off road package. Just my .02

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave
If your willing to take a little drive to pick it up. aka hop on the ferry and drive up RT 8 in CT go clayton

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/178

little more money but a much better preforming set up then the ones you listed
Unless they provide more HP or TQ...performance is aa matter if opinion....
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The question was, "What is the best long arm kit for the money?". The answer without limitation is Clayton. It will out last any other kit when put head to head under any circumstances. That said it is just my opinion, and it is the kit that will be put on my truck. How much your wanting to spend will be the deciding factor.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.