best ho overland year? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > best ho overland year?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

LOL... I was shocked to discover that in my 02 WRX sedan the rear seats didn't even fold down!

"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
KG20

I made a spreadsheet with differences between 02-04 Limited and Overland. For the Overland I show that Chrome exhaust tip was only offered in 2002, which isn't a big deal at all. Dead Pedal was offered in 02-03, but not 04. Headrests only flip fold in 2002. Memory on the passenger side mirror was discontinued for 03-04, but 02 had it. Dummy oil pressure gauge in 03-04, but 02 had an accurate one (same for Limited). Padded center console was only offered in 2004. As were rear parking sensors for 04 only. RB1 Nav only for 03-04. Tire jack in spare well for 02-03, but under left rear seat in 04 (same for Limited). Up Country 1" lift only offered for 2002. Uconnect only for 03-04, but 02 did have a bluetooth option, just not like Uconnect because it lacked the proper rear view mirror. And the 03-04 had the better brakes, but most of the 02 should've been fixed by dealer. It was a mid to year end change for the 02. Some of this info may be incorrect, but I found it here and wjjeeps.com

I'm leaning towards a 03-04 Limited or Overland myself. I can add a padded console, backup camera (sensors), accurate oil gauge, dead pedal, and don't care about Uconnect because I'll be installing a double din with bluetooth.
KG20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Teflon916
1999 WJ 

It's not much but I thought I might add that in 04 they moved the fan relay from inside the bumper to under the hood where it was more accessible. No more cutting open the front bumper! Or taking the bumper off.

And if your not familiar with the wj you should know that that damn fan relay goes out on damn near all of them. It is my opinion that this is the cause of most head gasket failures on the wj. So keep an eye on your fan. Make sure it's working by turning your ac on.

Sent from the top of my VISA card
Teflon916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
hello people I am looking to buy my pregnant partner
a wj-wg overland ho v8. i want to know which year is the best and why, because i can buy a 02-03 overland for a few thousand less than a 04 , is there any down falls to the earlier ones besides the caliper issue, i have studied the **** out of overlands the last few nights but want some real world oppinions any ways thanks fellow jeep lover.
I have had an '02 and am currently driving a silver '03. They both had the same problems, ie., blend doors, etc. My '02 had rock rails and my '03 has running boards. I thought the rock rails were cool, way cooler than these lame running boards.
The '03 has a better feel, I think. Lotta take-off power. Of course, I have never owned the '04, so I cannot compare. Never had a problem with calipers, but the cheap rotors Midas puts on tend to warp in the front. I was putting a lot of miles on it, until I started working from home. Now, I'm lucky to put 50 miles a week on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
image-3052854632.jpg  
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
gschris
2004 WJ 

My 02 has the jack under the right rear seat..
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
C101Commando

I wanted an overland but ended up with an 03 limited with the LO 4.7
The only overland option I really miss is the HO motor, otherwise I love my wj..
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG20 View Post
I made a spreadsheet with differences between 02-04 Limited and Overland. For the Overland I show that Chrome exhaust tip was only offered in 2002, which isn't a big deal at all. Dead Pedal was offered in 02-03, but not 04. Headrests only flip fold in 2002. Memory on the passenger side mirror was discontinued for 03-04, but 02 had it. Dummy oil pressure gauge in 03-04, but 02 had an accurate one (same for Limited). Padded center console was only offered in 2004. As were rear parking sensors for 04 only. RB1 Nav only for 03-04. Tire jack in spare well for 02-03, but under left rear seat in 04 (same for Limited). Up Country 1" lift only offered for 2002. Uconnect only for 03-04, but 02 did have a bluetooth option, just not like Uconnect because it lacked the proper rear view mirror. And the 03-04 had the better brakes, but most of the 02 should've been fixed by dealer. It was a mid to year end change for the 02. Some of this info may be incorrect, but I found it here and wjjeeps.com

I'm leaning towards a 03-04 Limited or Overland myself. I can add a padded console, backup camera (sensors), accurate oil gauge, dead pedal, and don't care about Uconnect because I'll be installing a double din with bluetooth.
All good info but just a note for all the European types looking at buying a CRD is that the Euro spec 04 CRD overland and limited are different in many ways. Ie we still had a proper oil pressure gauge until end of WJ production , have flip and fold head rests, memory mirrors both sides and up country suspension was standard also until production ceased. Also have electric folding mirrors, galvanized body work, side repeaters in the front fenders etc etc.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
barnz_xr8

so I have found a sweet 04 model overland with 138,000km - 85,000miles
put a deposit , just have to speak to the bank, public holiday here today so banks are all closed . being the first jeep I have driven all I can say is **** yeah this thing is damn punchy and super responsive my mrs loves it , its her first v8 and it goes like a v8 should, it loves a drink that's its only issue so have to plan trips instead of just driving around aimlessly lol.
thanks people
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Sounds like a nice rig, post pics! And yeah... no more driving around for no good reason!
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #25
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG20 View Post

www.wjjeeps.com has all that info.

And my '04 has a dead pedal.

I don't think you can go wrong with any 02-04 Overland. I was looking at all those years, I just happened to find an '04 in awesome condition with very low miles. If you really have a preference for the seats or front end, those are the main differences between the '04 and the rest.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
KG20

I got my info. from this site, and that site, but there wasn't one place that had comparisons without going back and forth. Looks like I may have mixed up the dead pedal and tire jack locations. Or my sources were wrong. Either way, I agree with you. Jeeps in my area seem to be 2-6k more than what I read people are paying here.
KG20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
HeyRay2

My '00 WJ Laredo just spun a bearing at the beginning of this month, so I too decided to go for the gusto this time around and found an '04 Overland with just under 90K.

The extra 30 HP is definitely noticeable!

Now to find a place to relocate the under-seat jack so that I can put my Alpine PDX-5 amp there and get the tunes thumpin'!
HeyRay2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.