BEST bang for the buck: Cladding paint. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > BEST bang for the buck: Cladding paint.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
David5534
2005 KJ Liberty 

BEST bang for the buck: Cladding paint.

I'm back after being gone for awhile with another burning question. What would be the best black spray paint for a 2000 Larado with plastic cladding (trim and bumper)

I know many threads exist with the same topic but Id like some up to date info. Also how many cans would be needed? Price?

I live near just about any major super center (Home Depot, Walmart)

David5534 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
COL
2000 WJ 

why do you want to paint it? Is it looking faded? You can make it look like new permanently (well until it fades again) with some careful time and a heat gun. Paint generally just comes right off, and you can make it look good temporarily with some conditioner/tire shine like stuff.
COL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Krylon fusion plastic paint from Walmart. Did mine 6 years ago and still looks good.

Heat gun takes too long and is hard to get an overall even color.

Plus black cladding looks better on a WJ than gray.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
outbackmatt

First I would try this stuff called Cover All from Oreilly's. It will do wonders in bringing back faded plastic. Spray on and wipe off.

If you are set on painting then Krylon fuson works great. I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but I painted mine at the beginning of summer and it looks good. The only thing is I run wide mud tires and they throw rocks so of course the paint will ding in direct line of the road spray from the tires(such as the lower side portion of the rear bumper and lower portion of the front door/rocker cladding)
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
new2site
2002 WJ 

I'd go with this...almost black...solid black doesn't look good IMHO...

Best color here...doesn't have that slight blue tint over charcoal greys have:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/Aeroso...ester-Dk-Gray/
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
corpulent
2004 WJ 

I used Penetrol (paint additive) a month or two ago, and it turned out well.

Cladding looks new; a dark graphite color. Also used it on bumpers, door handles, and all the plastic bits on roof and rear.
corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
bana121
2001 WJ 

i know the op is asking bout paint but if you want to give it a try, try using back to black by mothers, i use it and cladding still looks good as new and best part of all is i only apply maybe once or twice a year
bana121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Krylon fusion plastic paint from Walmart. Did mine 6 years ago and still looks good..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bana121 View Post
i know the op is asking bout paint but if you want to give it a try, try using back to black by mothers, i use it and cladding still looks good as new and best part of all is i only apply maybe once or twice a year
I used to use the back to black on my TJ flares too. It worked very well for what it was and the bottle lasted forever. Then I found the krylon fusion plastic paint. I did the flares probably five years ago and it still looks great.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Krylon fusion plastic paint from Walmart. Did mine 6 years ago and still looks good.

Heat gun takes too long and is hard to get an overall even color.

Plus black cladding looks better on a WJ than gray.

x2. Only thing I'll ever use. It's designed that it bonds to the plastic. Haven't ever had mine fade or scratch or peel ever. Degrease and clean the cladding well, tape of and paint it. Did my XJ and was good for 5yrs, then I rolled it. Looked like a crooked heap of crap, but the finders I painted still looked great!!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpulent View Post
I used Penetrol (paint additive) a month or two ago, and it turned out well.

Cladding looks new; a dark graphite color. Also used it on bumpers, door handles, and all the plastic bits on roof and rear.
Penetrol FTW!

Cost $10 for a quart at Home Depot. I apply it once a year in the spring and the plastic looks brand new still. I'm still on my first quart that I bought three years ago.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
David5534
2005 KJ Liberty 

thanks guys! im zeroing in on Krylon just because its available in my area. Back to black would e cool but I hear its expensive.

my cladding is turning light gray while all he handles and mirrors are black and it looks weird to me
David5534 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Just finally did my rockers. Did the cladding last year. and bumpers last year. Even a year later, it matches perfect with the fresh painted rockers.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Penetrol FTW!

Cost $10 for a quart at Home Depot. I apply it once a year in the spring and the plastic looks brand new still. I'm still on my first quart that I bought three years ago.
Krylon for Plastics painted once and lasted 5yrs. longer if I didn't lose the XJ. Still looked as good as the day I painted it.

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
troy70
2002 WJ 

A few weeks ago, I saw a WJ with black bed liner on the cladding, which looked very good. I waited around for a while hoping to catch the owner, but ended up having to leave before they came out of the store.
troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Have heard that's the other one some go for, but never seen it done myself. Not sure how well it holds up on plastic over time though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.