Best ball joints? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best ball joints?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
BolderGuy
2002 WJ 

Wj Best ball joints?

I leaning toward Moogs - RockAuto has em for cheaper than Moog's website. I know they cost a little more but at 120k, I'm figuring if I use the Moogs I'll never have to worry about ball joints again.

One issue - they have 2 sets for upper and lower - 2 sets are non-adjustable, the other 2 are adjustable for caster and chamber.

With a 4" lift, which set would be better?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com....asp?cat=10922

BolderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
AndyL
2000 WJ 

typically, you cant go wrong with moog stuff. does your alignment support the need caster modified ball joints? At 4" of lift, might not be a bad idea to get you back to spec, or least closer. Factory Dana/Spicer is good stuff too.
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I just put in the moogs but have only put about 5 miles on them so I can't comment on quality.
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

I'm not speaking from firsthand experience, but I've seen a lot of reports of Moog parts that are actually TRW and other brands with Moog stickers stuck in Moog boxes. It's worth at least peeling up the sticker on the next Moog part you buy and seeing if there's anything else underneath it.

Personally, I've been running NAPA premium ball joints which have been going strong for at least 60 or 70k miles. NAPA premium was the ONLY brand I could find anywhere with adjustable uppers instead of only adjustable lowers. Depending on which way the camber needs to be adjusted, you may require those. My situation was that the top of the tires were leaning inwards. The lower adjustable ball joints would have brought the bottom of the tire into alignment with the top, but caused too little clearance between the knuckle and the axle. I had to find the adjustable uppers to push the top of the tires outwards into alignment with the lower fixed joints.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
AndyL
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
I'm not speaking from firsthand experience, but I've seen a lot of reports of Moog parts that are actually TRW and other brands with Moog stickers stuck in Moog boxes. It's worth at least peeling up the sticker on the next Moog part you buy and seeing if there's anything else underneath it.

Personally, I've been running NAPA premium ball joints which have been going strong for at least 60 or 70k miles. NAPA premium was the ONLY brand I could find anywhere with adjustable uppers instead of only adjustable lowers. Depending on which way the camber needs to be adjusted, you may require those. My situation was that the top of the tires were leaning inwards. The lower adjustable ball joints would have brought the bottom of the tire into alignment with the top, but caused too little clearance between the knuckle and the axle. I had to find the adjustable uppers to push the top of the tires outwards into alignment with the lower fixed joints.
Youre right, no one make everything. They all source from each other to have a complete line and lots o' SKUs. Dana/Spicer parts for a Dana axle is a sure bet, Moog or TRW whichever you actually get will likely be okay.

The original Dana joints lasted how many miles? How much you gonna save? The install time is the same.
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
AndyL
2000 WJ 

I've installed Specialty Products over the years, they have solutions for most common suspension/alignment problems. Do you NEED adjustable ball joints?

http://www.spc-tv.com/

On page 54 of their online catalog, #23510 thru 23540 are for upper positions. You need to know your needs, they supply via undercar W/D's for professional shops.
http://spcalignment.com/specprod/digitalcatalog/#/54/

Enjoy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.