Battery not charging consistently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery not charging consistently

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
CarChick
2000 WJ 

Battery not charging consistently

AUTO SUBJECT:
2000 automatic 4x2 Cherokee laredo that is morphing into a money pit lol

OK so this has been a bit of a work in progress, my Cherokee hasn't bee driven since we changed out the tail lights and overcame that hurdle with the connectors. Problem: It's not holding a charge. The battery has been checked and is fine, it will hold a charge if not connected.

Today we jumped the jeep and drove it up the canyon for a bit and then back down. Plenty of time for it to charge. The brake light and the AB light popped on, and the battery was showing changes in the charge level. It kept bouncing another and below the midline. After the drive we turn it off and try to start it back up again, it tried to catch but quickly died.

When we replaces the tail light plugs part of the problem was that the left tail assembly was drawing like 16 or 18 ohmz and the right was at a 6. But the guy who was helping me said it wasn't doing that once we changed the plugs. OK so he tests the alternator and says that is sending out and even charge, so if the battery isn't charging it has to be something other than that.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this issue with theirs?

frustratingly yours,
CarChick

CarChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Whiskey_Juliet
2004 WJ 

Grab a voltmeter and check to make sure your alternator is sending out a current greater than 13 volts. If its not then that could b the issue. It sounds like a power issue all together. Maybe a bad ground or faulty connection somewhere close to the battery.
Unread 07-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Charging voltage from alternator should be 13.5-14.4V. Also use a multi meter and messure If There Are Any draws from batt when everything is shut off.

If all this Are ok, look for bad conections, check power distribution box in egine compartment. Look for bad ground connections.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
CarChick
2000 WJ 

Alternator is behaving proper, can't check anything with power off because the battery doesn't get charged up enough to have any juice when its off to see what is drawing from it. The only thing I can think of is that back left tail light, but the guy who helped me with that says everything was fine after he adjusted the tabs and got the connectors to hit. He is out of town right now so I cant get his help with this and he's the one with the meter. I'm at a loss when it comes to electrical on this thing. I need a mechanic, I'm not about to take this to a dealer and spend what little money I have on a repair that is probably simple.
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

If alternator is ok, its most problebly your batt. If it cannot hold the charge its broken, not fine as stated i previous post.

I am an electrician.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
CarChick
2000 WJ 

Thank you Thomahawk but we left the battery overnight at the shop to be charged, guys at les schwab say its just fine, no issues with the battery, it was simply dead but it holds the charge just fine when its not connected to the vehicle. So if the alternator is kicking out the volts like it should and the battery is testing good, what else can it possibly be?
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
99JGCWJ
1999 WJ 

Start the Jeep and while running disconnect the battery. If the Jeep dies your alternator is shot regardless of what the shop guy told you it was testing at. If it's still running then I would start checking everything to see what's draining the battery.
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Sounds very much like a bad battery. Most if not all battery suppliers will test battery at no cost.

The WJ needs a good battery and very good connections so check and clean battery terminals. I'll say this again as it's important check and clean battery connections.

While it's known for other faults like broken wires in door harness (at rubber boots) to upset the BCM and cause current draw it usually takes a couple of days of non use to discharge the battery enough that it won't start and I think the tail lights is a red herring, if there was a current draw one or more of the bulbs would be lighting and you would have noticed.

Your have a meter in your dash display.
Once running it should increase above 12v to sit just below 14v. This will show your alternator is charging. You already done this and reported once switch off it still won't start. So if your alternator is charging then it's logical the battery is toast if it can't hold a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
CarChick
2000 WJ 

It's running with the battery being dead and doesn't cut out when it is disconnected, alternator is fine. We went through all of this already.... battery is fine, alternator is fine...... it's something else and I don't know where to start. I am just wondering if the guy I have do the head job did something wrong, maybe didn't connect something bak up correctly. He replaces a couple of sensors and said he replaced the plugs and wires also.

I'm not a mechanic myself but I have done my fair share of work on cars in the past. I can even replace a starter and not break a fingernail. However, I am in totally new territory with this Jeep, as my other vehicles have all been GM brand vehicles. Getting into this thing is like exploring a new language.
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

If you Are 100% sure your alternator is charging and your battery can hold the charge, then something draws from your battery. You can try to pull fuses and put Them back one at the time until it the draw accours. Then you know Where to start looking for the draw/short.

Good luck.

Unread 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
CarChick
2000 WJ 

Thanks for chiming in 4Tom, let me get a bit more specific ok.

When we replaced the tail light plugs the battery had been charged at the shop because something had been drawing on the battery and left it dead. It took a few days before I started it back up again and it was dead. Manual says the onboard computer will drain the battery after 10 days if it hasn't been started up, but it had not been that long.

OK so when I jump started the battery yesterday, we noticed the lights in the dash flickering, and the abs light and brake light came on. We took it for a drive up the canyon to charge the battery and that gauge was moving too much... it went above 14 then below 14, then back above it. So my first thought is going to be the alternator but again, when tested that showed on the volt meter that it was putting out enough charge, and the battery was tested and it holds a charge when not connected to my Jeep. So it HAS TO BE something else.
Unread 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
CarChick
2000 WJ 

OK Thomahawk that sounds like what I'm gonna have to do, I just need to find someone with a volt meter now because my friend who has one is out of town. I just wanna get out of town for the weekend lol. If I wasn't worried about it being something bad I would jump the dang thing and drive it as is and just deal with the problem after the holiday lol I'm just worried that with it being electrical it might be something more serious that could get worse if I drive it.
Unread 07-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Sounds like a good idea! Find someone with a meter and messure the draw from the battery. Do it while engine shut off, disconnect positive pole and messure between pole and cable. There should be a very small draw, its normal.

Then you know If There Are Any draw, If There is, pull fuses one by one until the draw goes away, then you can check What the fuses goes to/supply power to. Then you know Where to look for fail/shorts.

If the fuse dosnt supply Any important Stuff like power outlet/ Interior light/trailer tow outlet or something like That you can leave it out and use your Jeep in the weekend until you can get it fixed.

Unread 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

I am still holding My opinion about the bad battery though. The battery can recieve some charge and messure voltage 12V but still be bad. If There isnt Any draw its Your battery. I dont know How they test the battery? But If you Take it out and connect it to a charger, and the charger start at ex 9 amps and quickly goes down to 2 amps, the battery doesnt hold very much current, just a small amount That Will start your Jeep but run out fast because your Jeep use more current Than the alternator can put in your battery because its not holding enough amps.

The Way to calculate the time it takes for the charger to charge your battery is:
How many amp/hours batt? Ex 100Ah
How big charger? Ex 10A
100Ah/10A=10hours.
The charger never goes under 1-2A because the battery is full and it cannot force Any more into the battery.

Hopes this makes sence, hard to explain in english, i am Norwegian. Lol

Think you understand this because you seems Like a smart chick.

Unread 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
CarChick
2000 WJ 

OK I am just starting to wonder if maybe there is a short in the wiring somewhere. We smelled something funny yesterday, more like wires burning, but it wasn't in the back where I replaced the tail light plugs and though maybe that wiring harness was going bad, it was in the engine compartment. I smelled this after the guy in Seattle did my head job, but he swore it wasn't anything he did. The smell wasn't there before he worked on it. He's not answering any of my text though, he got a jealous girlfriend that made him sever all connections to other women (I will never understand why a man would date such a woman) so I cant get any info out of him regarding his previous repairs on my Jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.