Battery Keeps Draining, WHY? Please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Keeps Draining, WHY? Please...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Battery Keeps Draining, WHY? Please...

My daughters '02 JGC Sport 4.0L keeps having battery issues. A couple weeks ago, battery went dead. Had it replaced under warranty. Also had local Advanced Auto confirm the alternator and system were charging correctly. She's away at college and got call last night that the car wouldn't start.

I'm going to have her jump the vehicle, let run for 30-45 minutes as the sun goes down, then turn off, and walk around the vehicle looking for any light's on in the Jeep. Going to even have her look under the vehicle, thinking maybe the hood lamp may be staying on while the hood is closed.

Any other thoughts?

"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
grancherkee
2000 WJ 

battery drain is a common problem on Wj's - unfortunately there are several if not many reasons it can start. The only real way to track it down is with a multimeter. You basically pull individual fuses, checking the battery drain as you do - until you isolate the circuit where the drain is occurring. You then go through that circuit (or circuits) until you find the cause of the drain. To help isolate the problem think if there are any recent additions to the jeep or any problems with electric components - which may be the cause of the battery drain. A circuit diagram is also helpful. If you find more symptoms suggest you report them here then people will be able to help more track it down. Also use the search function - many people have had this issue and solved it - but as I said, there are many possible causes. Good luck
grancherkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

maybe the battery is dead and does not hold charge any more...it may need to be replaced
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Like said above start with aftermarket additions and anything recently worked on or moved around. I had a draw issue with my cb. Started unplugging stuff until the jeep decided to start on its own the next morning.. Good luck.
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Hard to diagnose given it's 500 miles away at college with my daughter. The battery was replaced when she came home for Fall break 3 weeks ago. The car won't be home until XMAS break. No additions to the vehicle. And as stated above, Advance Auto ran diagnostics on the charging system and everything came back clean. Maybe we got a bad replacement battery from WalMart (EverReady). Once she jumps the vehicle, I'll have her drive it to them and have it checked.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

Best to test the battery several times. Batteries are notorious different results when below full charge even a little using the tester Advance uses. They can pull the battery out and stick it on a quick charger(35min). Then test again. Might read differently.

Part of the "system" test is to check for drain when everything is off. That is something you want to know the result of. The tester prints out the results, so it'd be on that printout at the bottom if she still has it. If there's a suspect or worse reading, going to have to trace it down like grancherkee was saying.
irzyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

If she can do this, have her disconnect the negative terminal of the battery overnight (sounds like it's draining after sitting overnight or longer). After the normal "drain time", put the negative terminal back on and see if it starts. If it doesn't, then you have a bad battery, even though you said it's new. Otherwise you have a drain somewhere.
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
If she can do this, have her disconnect the negative terminal of the battery overnight (sounds like it's draining after sitting overnight or longer). After the normal "drain time", put the negative terminal back on and see if it starts. If it doesn't, then you have a bad battery, even though you said it's new. Otherwise you have a drain somewhere.
This right here!!!! My vote is a faulty battery because it was changed so recently but nothing else has changed.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator2

this right here!!!! My vote is a faulty battery because it was changed so recently but nothing else has changed.
^^^x3
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
duranged
2001 WJ 

does her GC have auto headlights? I had a problem with mine where the lights would just come on at night when it was parked in the driveway. i would have to charge it every couple of days until i found out what was going on.
She could try switching to the "off" position over night to see if that helps.
headlamp_switch.jpg  
2001 WJ Limited; 4.7L; 4.5" RK LA; 305:65:17 ProComp Xtreme AT; 231 HD w/ SS SYE; KOR sliders; ARB front w/Warn and in-cab controls; Custom4x4Fab rear; Dual Battery via 12voltguy.
duranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Check under hood light fixture. If it's fallen down, it will not turn off when hood is closed, and battery will drain, lighting the way for mice to have a play field.
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

The auto putting the lights on when off? That's terrible. Hope I don't run into that! The auto setting is a feature I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith20mm View Post
Check under hood light fixture. If it's fallen down, it will not turn off when hood is closed, and battery will drain, lighting the way for mice to have a play field.
Yeah since it's a gravity type switch. Good thinking keith20mm
irzyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
specia1k
2004 WJ 

Update... My daughter had the JGC jumped yesterday and droveit back to her apt. She let it run for 30 min then turned it off. She tried cranking it again, with no success. Wouldn't the battery charge enough in 30-45 min of running, to crank it just after turning it off? She's going to jump it today, take it to WalMart where we got the battery and have them check it. Will update the thread.

One other item I just remembered. When she was home 3 weeks ago for Fall break, the battery died. We could jump it, but the JGC wouldn't stay running when in idle. You could crank it and keep the engine running, only if you gave it some gas. If you took you foot off the ecelerator and let it go to idle, the engine would die. That's why I had Advanced Auto test the charging system.

Could I have an alternator going bad? My problem is that the vehicle is away at college and won't be back until Xmas break. But I have to get it in shape so that I'm comfortable with her driving 500 miles at Xmas.

Thanks... Kevin
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

What voltage reading does the gauge shows, if alternator is ok, it should read 13.5-14.4V while running. Can also be messured with a multimeter at the battery poles, If that checks out ok, its the battery.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

I concur with Thomahawk.

The battery is no good. Autozone or other parts store will easily show the truth with a battery load tester, generally no cost to test, and takes maybe three minutes, and is a handheld tester.
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.