Battery draining with no draw - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery draining with no draw

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
jroth0916
2001 WJ 

Are you sure....because a test light should determine if there is a draw on the battery. The light works if enough power passes through it, so it seems like it makes sense to use it to determine if a draw exists. A multimeter works too, but if the issue is intermittent the test light is nice because it provides a simple answer. I have been trying to figure out the issue with the battery for 3 months now and testing voltage and amperage isn't helping, another test might work. Why wouldn't a light test work?

jroth0916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroth0916 View Post
Are you sure....because a test light should determine if there is a draw on the battery. The light works if enough power passes through it, so it seems like it makes sense to use it to determine if a draw exists. A multimeter works too, but if the issue is intermittent the test light is nice because it provides a simple answer. I have been trying to figure out the issue with the battery for 3 months now and testing voltage and amperage isn't helping, another test might work. Why wouldn't a light test work?
No - because the light will create a draw on the battery not measure it. Only a multimeter will tell you what you need to know.
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
4Tom
2001 WJ 

The issue isn't current draw as the draw has been measured and its fine.
The problem OP has is that its not correctly charging. Bulb won't detect poor charging.

OP disconnect both battery terminals clean terminals and battery poles with fine sandpaper or battery brush refit tightly. While doing this inspect high current leads both positive and negative.

Your charge voltage should be 13.7~13.8 on a fully charged battery. It will be above 13.8 if the battery is low while driving.

If battery terminals are corroded or making poor contact it will reduce the charging voltage. It is impossible to see the mating surface of terminal to battery pole unless you remove it to check.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
jroth0916
2001 WJ 

I cleaned the battery poles and put on new terminals. I used a marine terminal and soldered the wires to copper lugs. The fit is tight for everything. I'll keep an eye on the drops and charging when the car is on. We'll see if this solves the problem.
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
icbm99

Just something else to look for. I've had battery cables corrode inside the insulation. Look for bulges in the wire, because it can cause charging/electrical issues too.
icbm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
jroth0916
2001 WJ 

Cables look good. I have had the new terminals on the Post for 2 days. I'm still seeing voltage drops similar to before but it doesn't seem like the battery is charging more than 12.3 volts. Could the alternator need replacement?
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
04RockyMountain
2004 WJ 

Sounds to me alternator is on its way brother. That happened to me but mine dropped a lot faster than that. Changed the belt, battery and the alternator and the problem didn't go away.... so i got a different alternator and everything works great and battery level stays perfect also.
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
jroth0916
2001 WJ 

so an update on the draining battery. I haven't been keeping an eye on the voltage but it seems like it hasn't died in almost a month. I haven't done anything other than put a marine terminal connector. If it dies again I'll update the thread again. I think the alternator might have had something to do with it, but can't prove anything until I can duplicate the issue.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
georged
2004 WJ 

I have a similar problem as I only drive my Jeep once a week. The old battery voltage went from 12.49 when first shut off to 11.5 after sitting for 7 days. Took the old battery out and charged it and with it out of the Jeep only goes down to 12.10 after seven days. A new battery in the Jeep does the same as the original. It still starts fine after seven days, but I am concerned that if it sits longer it will not start.
If I connect a slow charge (2 amp) to the battery in the Jeep, do I have to disconnect the battery cables or is it ok to leave them connected?
georged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , battery drain , dead battery , optima , parasitic draw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.