Battery Cable Upgrade "Big 3" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Cable Upgrade "Big 3"

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Cool thread,

Would like to add, when i do mine i plan to use silver cable (non coroding), and heat shrink over all terminal ends like a marine instalation.

I dont think the starter will draw any more than factory harness will cover, but i will do these in 2/4 gauge.

Here is my upgrade list:
160A Durango dynamo
dynamo>batt (positive)
engine>frame>batt (ground)

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
I still have my old harness so I will measure everything tonight when I get home and post up numbers.
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!

hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs
Hey sorry i didn't get to it yet, been super busy with work, I will do my best to measure everything tomorrow morning before work.
Unread 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Ok, I finally got around to measuring the harness, sorry again it took so long.

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
Unread 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Ok, I finally got around to measuring the harness, sorry again it took so long.

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.