Battery Cable Upgrade "Big 3" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery Cable Upgrade "Big 3"

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Thomahawk
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 7,384
Cool thread,

Would like to add, when i do mine i plan to use silver cable (non coroding), and heat shrink over all terminal ends like a marine instalation.

I dont think the starter will draw any more than factory harness will cover, but i will do these in 2/4 gauge.

Here is my upgrade list:
160A Durango dynamo
dynamo>batt (positive)
engine>frame>batt (ground)

__________________
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO Quadradrive
95 ZJ Limited 5.2 Winter Project
Sold 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Winter Beater
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
wxmanWJ
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
I still have my old harness so I will measure everything tonight when I get home and post up numbers.
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!
__________________
My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
wxmanWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
lemiller
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!

hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
wxmanWJ
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs
__________________
My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
wxmanWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
lemiller
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs
Hey sorry i didn't get to it yet, been super busy with work, I will do my best to measure everything tomorrow morning before work.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
lemiller
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 144
Ok, I finally got around to measuring the harness, sorry again it took so long.

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
wxmanWJ
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
Ok, I finally got around to measuring the harness, sorry again it took so long.

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it.
__________________
My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
wxmanWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.