Battery Cable Upgrade "Big 3" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Thomahawk
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Cool thread,

Would like to add, when i do mine i plan to use silver cable (non coroding), and heat shrink over all terminal ends like a marine instalation.

I dont think the starter will draw any more than factory harness will cover, but i will do these in 2/4 gauge.

Here is my upgrade list:
160A Durango dynamo
dynamo>batt (positive)
engine>frame>batt (ground)

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO Quadradrive
95 ZJ Limited 5.2 Winter Project
Sold 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Winter Beater
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiller View Post
I still have my old harness so I will measure everything tonight when I get home and post up numbers.
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!

My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
post #18 of 27 Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
First of all, thanks for this very informative thread. I was looking for this exact write-up for the 4.7 and it took a little searching but I was glad when I found it.

Were you ever able to take measurements of your old harness?

Also, did you run new split loom over the new cables or just leave them exposed with zip ties or something to keep them together?

Thanks!

hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
hey, I completely forgot to measure the old harness, I can do it today for you. Also As far as the split loom, I just used the stock stuff where/when I could. I did end up buying some but I used very little. If you are careful when tearing apart your old harness, you should be able to re-use the split loom protector.
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs

My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
post #20 of 27 Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Sweet! Glad you still have it around. I am looking at buying some wire and want to make sure I get enough. Thanks again, look forward to getting the specs
Hey sorry i didn't get to it yet, been super busy with work, I will do my best to measure everything tomorrow morning before work.
post #21 of 27 Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Ok, I finally got around to measuring the harness, sorry again it took so long.

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

I would of course by a couple feet extra just in case you need it. I bought a 25ft roll of black cable (cheaper this way) and used red electrical tape on the ends of the positive wires so I could tell the difference.
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it.

post #23 of 27 Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 AM
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:

Positive= 11ft
Negative= 7ft

OK so it's a year later and I'm finally getting around to this because I am having problems with my cables at last. Is it TOTAL 11ft positive and 7ft negative to do the entire harness? I think there's something like 5 wires total in the harness:

Battery to PDC (+)
Battery to chassis (-)
Battery to engine (-)
Battery to starter (+)
Battery to alternator (+)

I am assuming that 11ft is the total (+) required and 7ft is total (-) required, but I was wondering if you recall the length of each of those five wires, and just double checking those measurements weren't just for 1 or 2 of those wires and not the whole harness. Thanks!

post #24 of 27 Old 11-02-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
lemiller
2001 WJ 

Quote:
OK so it's a year later and I'm finally getting around to this because I am having problems with my cables at last. Is it TOTAL 11ft positive and 7ft negative to do the entire harness? I think there's something like 5 wires total in the harness:

Battery to PDC (+)
Battery to chassis (-)
Battery to engine (-)
Battery to starter (+)
Battery to alternator (+)

I am assuming that 11ft is the total (+) required and 7ft is total (-) required, but I was wondering if you recall the length of each of those five wires, and just double checking those measurements weren't just for 1 or 2 of those wires and not the whole harness. Thanks!

Hey, sorry I didn't respond earlier, the lengths I gave were totals. I will try to measure the individual sections tonight or tomorrow.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I finally got around to replacing the battery and cables in my 01 WJ. The cables were pretty corroded so I decided to upgrade them and put in 2 gauge full copper cables, instead of the stock 4 gauge. I didn't take a ton of pictures of the process (I just wanted to get it done) but i will share what I have.

The cable I bought came in a 25ft roll and is SAE & ROHS compliant.

I started off by taking the old battery harness out. This wasnít too bad, worst part was taking the cables off the starter, took about 1hr to take out.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I took all the electrical tape and plastic protective tubing off so I could figure out how long I needed to cut each run of wire.
[IMG][/IMG]

After I cut the new cable to the proper lengths I soldered on new copper ends.
[IMG][/IMG]

Used the heat shrink w/ adhesive on the inside to seal the ends up from the environment.
[IMG][/IMG]

After I finished soldering all the ends, I began installing all of them back into the jeep. I didnít get too many pics of this part, I was just trying to get it done. I did snap a pic of my power distribution block, had to cut some of the plastic to allow the larger wire to fit.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also trimmed the lid to the power distribution block to allow it to fit snuggly over the new cables.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the finished product. Wires are kind of a mess; I will clean them up when it gets a little warmer out.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Question: did you do anything about the fuseable links? I was planning on doing mine, but figured I needed to do something for fuse protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
By my calculation the factory size wires can flow far more than the starter (biggest current draw on a std Jeep) could every pull. Even with my 600+ Watts of lighting and everything else on, it fires up with the lights barely dimming. So I can't see any real advantage to making them any bigger unless you have a mega wattage sound system (in which case it should have it's own feed wires anyway). Any improvement noted is probably due to replacing old corroded wires with corroded post clamps with new rather than due to thicker wiring. So replacing with new std size wires with good connectors will probably give the same result.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

Actually there is an advantage. If your like me and have a lot of stuff running off the battery. Including 1.5K watt audio system. Bigger wire gives you less voltage loss. More voltage, more power. Makes everything happier.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
Question: did you do anything about the fuseable links? I was planning on doing mine, but figured I needed to do something for fuse protection.
I have the same question. To my knowledge there's only one, between the alternator and PDC. Most people don't realize it's there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
By my calculation the factory size wires can flow far more than the starter (biggest current draw on a std Jeep) could every pull. Even with my 600+ Watts of lighting and everything else on, it fires up with the lights barely dimming. So I can't see any real advantage to making them any bigger unless you have a mega wattage sound system (in which case it should have it's own feed wires anyway). Any improvement noted is probably due to replacing old corroded wires with corroded post clamps with new rather than due to thicker wiring. So replacing with new std size wires with good connectors will probably give the same result.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
I know your comment is old, so don't hold it against me. While I understand your skepticism, I do see advantages to this kind of set up. It's not just about the big amp draws from certain accessories/devices, it's also about the small stuff, especially computers that heavily rely on a steady voltage source. Whenever there is a peak amp draw and everything competes for battery power, guess what goes at the bottom of the list? Computers and small integrated circuits. Too often in today's vehicles you see wiring that is WAY undersized, yet they rely on computers more than ever. This is often overlooked by engineers, and it really doesn't take much corrosion to start having a noticeable impact on things like engine operations, transmission shifting, etc. Plus you'll have to admit the thing looks damn good.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #27 of 27 Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM
skifanski
2004 WJ 

Im having issues with my negative cables and want to replace them. Anyone know if the total length of negative cable is 7 feet would a 2ft and a 5 ft be good for the two separate wires?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.