Battery/Alternator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Battery/Alternator?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

Battery/Alternator?

Got into my 2001 WJ 4.7 to take my boys to a movie. Heard a constant dinging and saw a light lit up that read "Check Gauges". The only gauge I saw that looked off was my Battery Gauge, it looked low. Saw the movie got in the jeep, it started but on the way home the needle just kept dropping. Got home pulled it in the garage, shut it down and tried to restart 3 minutes later...dead. Sounds like the alternater to me. any other thoughts? Charging the battery now, hopefully enough to get me the 16 miles to work at 5 tomorrow morning. I can work on the altenator there if needed. Do I need a Mopar one or will a napa/autozone one be good enough?

RepomanNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Sound like possibly the alt. As long as the battery wasn't drained right down it should be ok. I've never had any issues with anything I've bought at napa, and prices have always been pretty good for around here anyways.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Most likely the alternator. I would pull it and go get it tested along with the battery. If the alternator needs to be replaced, any brand will work. I got a rebuilt one for like 90 bucks after the core return. I had to replace mine because of a bad bearing.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

thanks for the replys. Fingers crossed I make it to work!
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
buger561
2003 WJ 

If you have an Advanced Auto nearby there's a coupon code for 30% off of a purchase of $50+.
You can order online and pick up in store.
The code: TRT30

Also $40 of of $110+ (or $25 off $70)
Code: RETMENOT124
buger561 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
3Dog

Alternator...

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely the alternator. Happened to me in the exact same way.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

That is what it was. Was able to charge the battery enough to get me to the office. Disconnected the negative side of battery, Jeep died. Replaced the Alt in a few minutes, good as new!
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Good to hear!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I wish I had seen this earlier....you would have been better off to get the Durango alternator for it. Costs less and puts out 160amps as opposed to the 132amps. Direct fit. Search my posts for details.

The Autozone unit is fine though... damn...could have helped a brother out. Oh well, good diagnosis from the folks here & glad you got it sorted.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I wish I had seen this earlier....you would have been better off to get the Durango alternator for it. Costs less and puts out 160amps as opposed to the 132amps. Direct fit. Search my posts for details.

The Autozone unit is fine though... damn...could have helped a brother out. Oh well, good diagnosis from the folks here & glad you got it sorted.
Next time it goes out...and I'm sure there will be a next time. I'll take you suggestion and go with the Durango Alt. Appreciate the information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.